Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

I think it's going to obliterate the horror opening record (Signs with $62M, I believe). Everything seems to be lining up perfectly. The last couple years have had many horror breakouts, with Split and Get Out both being the highest grossing films in the genre since Signs. People are ready to embrace a horror film on a true blockbuster level, and IT feels like it will be that film.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I disagree about the notion that this would have done better in August. This feels like a perfect back to school movie. It's got more of a Autumn feel to it than a Summer feel to it.

I always read the book in the Summer usually around July. The kids are dealing with IT during their summer break and I've always felt it would be a perfect summer release. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The trailer was okay. The clown design is really amazing though. Like Academy Award amazing.

It will probably get nominated for the clown's makeup alone. That and the other creatures that It transforms throughout the film will probably have fantastic makeup as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rorschach said:

It will probably get nominated for the clown's makeup alone. That and the other creatures that It transforms throughout the film will probably have fantastic makeup as well.

The only other film I can say that has a shot of being nominated is Darkest Hour. I had to remind myself a couple of times that the guy onscreen was Gary Oldman and not Winston Churchill.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

With nothing there now (except UNLOCKED, likely a very small release) WB should move this up to September 1. Looking at the top grossing Labor Day weekends? The list is littered with horror films. It also gives it a little more breathing room before KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE hits.

The second weekend of September has had success with Sully last year and Insidious Chapter 2 in 2013 so I don't blame WB for choosing that slot. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The second weekend of September has had success with Sully last year and Insidious Chapter 2 in 2013 so I don't blame WB for choosing that slot. 

The date is fine. The September stigma lingers until this blows up OW.

hahaha yeah looks awesome! Just a bit too much Pennywise but love that they didn't rely on jumpscares (besides that one Georgie one which leads to a scene we've already seen) and aren't giving the movie away. Also love that we got to hear Pennywise and see his glowing yellow eyes and sharp teeth.

Excellent sound design at the end. Looks great. Hoping this is not another Suicide Squad where the trailers are far better than the film. I think they showed just enough and it should be huge when it opens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

That's the best trailer for a horror movie since the Texas Chainsaw remake.  It's sets the tone and it captures everything I love about the book.  Bill being the leader, Ben the book worm, Michael the history guy and they even have the evil drug store guy.  Whoever cut this did a phenomenal job with it.  I'll camp out for this one!  I'm literally in tears right now....tears of joy.  Brilliant brilliant brilliant!!!

I'm trying to remember others...but you might be right. The Hills Have Eye remake I believe had a great trailer too. They got the atmosphere and sound design so right here though and I remember that TCM trailer well. I was worried that it was going to be filled with jump scares like the Insidious trailers and give away so many key scenes and it did not. The end buildup showed practically nothing until the final scene which was awesome to see. Pennywise has his sharp teeth!

• Like 2