Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

Most overrated films of 2017 (IMO):
Get Out
RAW 

And I really wanted to like both of them as a big horror fan. I loved the concept of RAW but the execution, giant plot holes and unrealistic environment took me out of it really quickly. 

Those are the only two I've really disagreed with critics on this year. The others I might not have found as good (Spider-Man: Homecoming, Okja, etc.) but still found them somewhat enjoyable to a degree. And I side with the people who found Beauty And The Beast a huge insult to the original (but I don't think that's an unpopular opinion).

On the flipside, I don't think Pirates was as bad as critics made it out to be and I've seen all of the big 2017 blockbusters outside of Valerian.

I'm sure some of these have been brought up before but:

-Jaws 2 is not as good as the original on a creative and technical level, but is far more consistently entertaining. For me the first film essentially dies once the lead trio set out on the Orca.

-Similarly, Kubrick's The Shining is wonderful, tense, and atmospheric until the climax, when it blows it completely.

-Jurassic World is easily the worst film in the series and completely misses what made the originals work, trading it in for cloying nostalgia and generic blockbuster nonsense.

-Uwe Boll has actually made a handful of good (non-videogame) movies. Tunnel RatsAssault on Wall Street, and Rampage were all okay, and Attack on Darfur was quite good.

-Poltergeist isn't scary and relies far too much on hokey special effects. It's like an overrated Disney Channel version of The Amityville Horror.

-The American film adaptation of Dark Water isn't as scary as the Japanese version, but it's more dramatically satisfying and a better movie overall.

-Get Out wasn't remotely scary and wasn't especially insightful either, though it was a pretty good comedy.

-I like 3D and seek it out whenever possible except in extreme "crap conversion" cases a la The Last Airbender, and I maintain a collection of 3D Blu-rays.
-I think 4K is largely pointless for televisions and resent having to get that to have HDR (and lose 3D in the process).

-Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the 13th is funnier than any of the Scary Movie films.

-I'm willing to admit I laughed at a couple parts of most Friedberg & Seltzer movies. They're still terrible overall but not EVERY joke fails (the problem is more the lack of actual jokes)

-Interstellar isn't just overrated, it's horrible.

-Memento isn't very good either.

-The Dark Knight Rises is below average at best.

-Return of the Killer Tomatoes is not only genuinely funny, it's one of the best spoofs ever.

Edited by Xillix

On 8/11/2017 at 5:47 AM, Xillix said:

I'm sure some of these have been brought up before but:

-Interstellar isn't just overrated, it's horrible.

-The Dark Knight Rises is below average at best.

I know a lot of people who think the same, even though I'm not one of them.

I'm not a Nolan hater - Dunkirk and The Dark Knight were both very good - but the amount of borderline worship he gets, especially on IMDb, is ridiculous.

While I'm on specific filmmakers - I really dig M. Night Shyamalan. Specifically:

-Other than the core premise being rather silly and Mark Wahlberg's painfully over-earnest performance, I'm fine with The Happening and think it has some really chilling moments.

-I don't understand why people make fun of the plastic tree scene as if it wasn't obviously SUPPOSED to be a comedic moment.

-I like some of the changes Shyamalan made for The Last Airbender - the tidal wave/pacifist message instead of the water monster, for example. I didn't mind the pronounciation of the names and as a matter of fact I think Iroh was a large improvement. I cringe every time I hear "Eye-Row." 

-That said I fully acknowledge the script, acting, and some of the fight choreography in TLA is absurdly terrible (which in its own way makes it a fun watch for me).

-After Earth definitely has plot holes, but what major blockbuster doesn't? Aside from those I actually thought it was an okay movie. Jaden Smith didn't even bother me.

-The Visit is one of very, very few horror-comedies I felt actually got the balance right. Could've done without all the poop though.

Edited by Xillix
  • Thanks 1

I am not here with an unpopular movie opinion, but rather a question. I know I should make a new topic for this but just joined and can't figure out how to do that. :hijacked:

I saw part of a movie on TV recently with Shia Labeouf as a hotel/house attendant. It was slow-moving and dramatic, and his guest, a dark haired pretty middle aged woman requested violets. His face and hands were bloody in another scene afterward. It might have William H. Macy in it. I tried searching online but couldn't find much except about Shia Labeouf's real-life drama with the law. Please help if you can. Thank you!

3 hours ago, CaseyV86 said:

I am not here with an unpopular movie opinion, but rather a question. I know I should make a new topic for this but just joined and can't figure out how to do that. :hijacked:

I saw part of a movie on TV recently with Shia Labeouf as a hotel/house attendant. It was slow-moving and dramatic, and his guest, a dark haired pretty middle aged woman requested violets. His face and hands were bloody in another scene afterward. It might have William H. Macy in it. I tried searching online but couldn't find much except about Shia Labeouf's real-life drama with the law. Please help if you can. Thank you!

New York, I Love You (2009)

To create a new topic, in the upper left hand corner next to your name there's a create option - click it and it says topic.

Welcome to the board. :)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

1. Leo is overrated. He is a Good actor but the kind of hype people give him is way too much.

2. DC story lines and characters are fucked up.

3. Tom Cruise deserves Best Actor award. He's up in the leagues of one of the best actors.

4. La La Land is one of the worst movies last year. Bland and boring.

5. Oscars are very partial towards actors.

I'll have to rewatch it and give it a fair shake but I have no idea how The Man From Uncle took the world by storm. It wasn't godawful but it was just unremarkable outside of the aesthetics. 

Same with The Nice Guys and to a lesser extent, the original Kingsman.

Edited by Morieris