Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

LOL classic words being put into a poster's mouth

I think what AJG was saying is that he expected something more in the vein of The Incredibles ;P

But why?  I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't find the Incredibles all that amazing.  I'm sure a lot of it is that I'm not particularly attracted to films centered around conventional families and that I found I actually agreed with the villain in some respects (I didn't find Mr. Incredible to be particularly likable in general), but the fact remains that comparing it to the Incredibles just because it's a superhero movie is a bit limiting.  That's almost as bad as expecting it to be Frozen 2.0 and then being disappointed that it's not.

It's not The Incredibles.  It's a different genre of superhero movie.  And that's good because diversity and variety in our movies is a good thing.

• Like 3

Just back from my screening. I really liked it and I would give it 8.5.  Baymax was great.  :D

Also there is an extra credit scene so wait till end of credits. 

Well, you're fast, glad you liked it ;)

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

It's my girlfriend's birthday weekend too!! Is your birthday on Sunday? Her little bro lost his shit last week when we told him we were taking him for BH6 this weekend.  :lol:  Then he dumped us when his friend said he was taking him and his other pals for BH6 as it is his birthday weekend as well.  <_<

Oh well, at least this shows that kids are really excited for BH6. Bodes really well for BO.

Mine's actually tomorrow! Yay Scorpios!! ;)

Ha! glad to hear kids are going crazy for it. My son's loves Baymax already. We're going to Disneyland next weekend for the Avengers Half Marathon, so you know we'll be buying all the BH6 MERCH possible,

• Like 2

The movie is what it is; a Saturday morning cartoon with a bigger budget.

You haven't even seen this and from all your snarky comments in this thread, I don't expect you have any interest in doing so.  Therefore your opinion is not particularly meaningful to me.  (Nor will it be to this movie's target audience, I expect).

Also Saturday morning cartoons rocked and I wish they weren't dead now.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 2

Okay, I went to a 9:45PM showing because I wanted to avoid kids. I was the only one on in the theater. So, that was a bit surprising. I don't think I have ever been the only one in a theater on opening night.

Anyway, the film was pretty good. The beginning was Pixar level. After that, it is a bit kid friendly like Wreck-It Ralph. The ending though is very good.

Oh, and there is an end credit scene seeing how it was inspired by a Marvel comic. Whoever sees it must, must stay for the end credit scene. Trust me on that one.

This is better than Dreamworks in terms of quality, but still a notch below Pixar.

• Like 3

It's ridiculous to be worried for Pixar, they've always been successful and they're ready to get back to their glory days with Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur, 2 new franchises with a great potential.

Ed Catmull and John Lasseter are always worried about Pixar, their escalating costs, and the constant pressure they're under to deliver one hit after another or else. They were more worried about WDAS for several years, but the situation has stabilized there, for now, after quite a bit of upheaval. They still don't want Pixar to have to go through that, especially if it means laying off hundreds of people and/or moving somewhere else.

In the long run, however, their business, as it is now, may prove to be unsustainable. I'm sure that Catmull is pondering this as he's explaining to the SEC and Congress why he violated the rights of Pixar's and other studios' employees, through collusion, in an attempt to control costs. On the one hand, he and DWA's Jeffrey Katzenberg and others broke the law, but on the other hand they might have been forced to outsource the production of their movies even sooner and faster if they hadn't. As for their employees, they could either take lower pay than they could normally get for a job that they love to do, or they could watch their jobs get shipped to India and China (the law favors the latter scenario).

3,761 Theaters. The widest ever for a Disney film, but just barely so.

But it still is, as expected, the lowest number of theaters of any release that was produced by a major animation studio this year. In fact, it doesn't even measure up to the clout of DisneyToon's Planes: Fire & Rescue:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=planes2.htm

When WDAS finally achieves the same level of prestige and respect as DisneyToon by this measure, let me know. Then we can talk about eventually mentioning them alongside venerated studios such as Blue Sky, let alone the epitome of animation studios that is DWA. ;) What is it about this theater count issue anyway?

You had doubts? :P

I had some myself, but they were of RT rather than the movie.

It's nice to have movie for my son where the protagonist looks a heckuva lot like him ;)

I kind of hate to admit this, but it is neat that Hiro is a Disney protagonist who kind of resembles me, too, at least in that he is Asian (specifically half-Asian, half-Caucasian, but so am I) and is a science/engineering type, which is something we don't get a lot of from WDAS (or any Western studio, as the protagonist). I wouldn't like a movie or character any more or less based on this, but being directly represented in certain ways is still nice.

That said, let's not make too big of a point of this because my understanding is that the movie thankfully does not, which in itself makes a point and is quite unusual, I think.

I really hope it does well. More diversity in Disney films can't hurt and at least with BH6 people can't complain that 'the main character was a frog for most of the movie'.

However, one might argue that Baymax is really the main character, and he is clearly...white. ;)

Up to 88% on RT now! :D LOL @ that revisionist Critics Criteria calling Frozen and co. "transcendental". RT never jizzed over Frozen like it did for TS3 and Lego, so now why is it such a golden divine standard for them all of a sudden?

Great point, and this would seem to imply a lot about RT.

• Like 2

Just got back. It's a good film, but a superhero origin movie which means it kind of demands sequels if it really wants to spread its wings. The other superhero characters are kind of treated like the Furious Five in the KFP movies except even less so and this movie is called "Big Hero 6", not "Baymax". So you're left kind of wanting more, and I don't think WDAS has any interest in pursuing a BH6 sequel when they are already so fully loaded. (unlike Pixar, which had a very blank slate after 2016) 

So while I think the movie will do well and sell many Baymax toys, I think this one will be like Pixar's Brave: still seen within the brand, but mostly forgotten. (except BH6 is a better movie than Brave IMO)

• Like 1

But why? I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't find the Incredibles all that amazing. I'm sure a lot of it is that I'm not particularly attracted to films centered around conventional families and that I found I actually agreed with the villain in some respects (I didn't find Mr. Incredible to be particularly likable in general),

You're right about The Incredibles. I like it a lot in some ways, but at a fundamental level, it doesn't hold up that well, one aspect of which you just touched upon. For me it's usually fine when the hero isn't perfect and the villain has a point, but it's more than that--Syndrome may be evil, to be sure, but nonetheless he is "super" in the sense of what he managed to accomplish with his intellect, but this is brushed aside in favor of "super" physical attributes. On top of that, although his intentions are bad (vengeance), he was willing to allow everybody to have increased abilities, which we'd have to be careful with but it's still the right idea. The issue is that Syndrome didn't just have a point--in some ways he was more profoundly right than Mr. Incredible, but instead of taking this and running with it, the movie continues as a typical superhero story, as though these issues were never brought up.

If we look past this, the movie makes a good point about how we as individuals should be allowed to achieve our potential and be "special" and excel in any way that we can, but then Dash is forced to hold back and deliberately strive for second place in a race, which would sure seem to contradict this. So in the end it's all about the supers who pretend they're as weak, slow, or as inelastic as the rest of us so that we can all get along, while knowing that they're superior and special because they have something that the rest of us do not. Meanwhile the guy who wanted, albeit for his own nefarious purposes, to give everybody greater abilities, using ultra-advanced technology as an enabler, is a villain who is killed off so that the supers can remain special. I can't be the only one who felt a bit ambivalent about some of the movie's major themes and the victory of the supers, despite agreeing with the basic point that was intended (but not with other points that were nevertheless made).

The Incredibles has many strong attributes such as its characterizations, relationships, the ways in which the characters' abilities are used in conjunction with one another, action, and the ways in which some of its themes are organically supported, but its fundamental weaknesses are major and detract heavily from the movie--even to the point of making it just a great "popcorn flick" for me (have to turn off my brain to enjoy it, which I guess is appropriate considering the fact that intelligence amounts to nothing much in the movie itself).

Now, Big Hero 6 seems to be a rather different movie, which makes direct comparisons problematic, but at least it seems to portray high intelligence as a "super" or "special" ability, as well as encourage the use of one's intellect to better the lives of others. Technology is used for both good and evil in the movie, as it is in real life, but at least there is a balanced portrayal of the power of intelligence instead of vilifying it and making it seem less significant than other abilities.

but the fact remains that comparing it to the Incredibles just because it's a superhero movie is a bit limiting. That's almost as bad as expecting it to be Frozen 2.0 and then being disappointed that it's not.

It's not just limiting--when abused like it often is, it judges a movie on another movie's terms instead of its own, which is patently unfair. Like you said, it's not trying to be a clone of The Incredibles or anything even close. Actually, beyond the superhero trappings, it probably has more in common with Frozen, if anything, not that it's trying to be like that movie or should be directly compared with it, either, except in very focused ways. If there is any point of comparison between Big Hero 6 and The Incredibles, it's what I mentioned above regarding intelligence, and Big Hero 6 seems to have a better and better supported theme in this respect.

• Like 2