The Amazing Spider-Man

113 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Amazing Spider-Man

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I'll preface this by saying while I certainly enjoyed the Spider-Man trilogy as a young kid, it just has too much of a layer of fluff and cheese looking back on it. It never nailed the tone, and McGuire was good but just too ehhh to be lovable. THIS is the Spider-Man movie I always wanted. The movie features an absolutely brilliant performance from Andrew Garfield. He nails the comedy, the action, and the dramatics. Emma Stone takes a potentially boring character and makes her charming and lovable as hell. Martin Sheen is an absolute standout as Uncle Ben- the film really excelled when him and Garfield were on screen together. The directing was top notch, and for a guy whose never done action, Webb did a great job with these fights. The comedy is Avengers level good. Lizard was very similar to Green Goblin in the "talking to myself and going crazy" way, but Ifans added a Molina-like level of sympathy for the character from the start. Overall the only things that held it down were the forgettable score( one of the true triumphs of the Raimi trilogy) and the crappy CGI in certain parts.I give this a solid A! It had much more character developmental and emotional gravitas than the Avengers.

• Like 3

Here's what I enjoyed:Garfield was good. He played Parker well and he did a nice job of trying to create a different Parker than Maguire.I liked Stan Lee's cameo also. It was funny and it finally gave me something to smile at.That's about it.The film is poorly paced, terribly scored and embarrassingly prosaic for most of the 136 minutes. I really think this was a 90 minute film but when they heard people were going to be pissed because of this, they just went into their vault and added a bunch of scenes to make it 136 minutes. That would explain the pacing problems.I thought superheroes had secret identities and that was part of the allure to them. In this film, everyone except his aunt and uncle know he's Spiderman. He takes his mask off every 5 minutes. It took 2 movies for Parker to tell MJ he was Spiderman in the originals, it takes Parker one date and a sexy pair of legs to tell Gwen. He also lets the Captain know, a little kid, his mailman, the kids playing jumprope on the street, his pen pals in Russia, his aunt's friends daughter's girlfriend who works at 31 flavors and he conveniently leaves his camera with his name on it on the wall so that Connors can know too.I didn't buy the relationship with Parker and Gwen at all. It just didn't seem genuine like the original....probably because it was rushed.There was no levity in the film, no comedy. It just drags from one scene to the next. I know Parker is smart, but seriously, Connors has been working on this his whole life and he can't figure out one equation. Parker shows up for 5 minutes and like Will Hunting writes it down for him and he turns into a lizard. I kept waiting for Willie, the good alien lizard from V to show up.And the final scene with the lizard and the Captain felt like they almost copied a speech from TDK word for word and changed it slightly.Characters and plot pieces and are abandoned and even small things like Peter having to go to the hardware store is never followed up on.Flash is his new best friend and humanitarian because his uncle dies.I just hated most of it.3/10

• Like 8

Y'know, I couldn't shake the thought of "Hmmmm, I liked this scene better in the Raimi movie" through the first half, but overall I guess I liked it. The actors, with the exception of Rhys Ifans, were all really good in their roles roles, the music was great and it had some genuinely funny moments.Also there was something really awkward about the editing in this. Can't quite put my finger on it but it really bothered me in the fight scenes.

• Like 2

Seriously, I haven't seen such a major plot hole in my life. The whole first act is about his father and his uncle and after his death he's chasing the killer like a madmen for days, then he gives up and we know nothing about his father in the end either. They're going to pull a SW on us in the sequel, but it's pretty lame to start a story and just leave it in the air, especially after the whole marketing was focusing on that storyline. If it wasn't for the terrific Garfield and Stone, it'd be a C- film. It's a solid B.

• Like 1

Now we just need ijack to post his glowing review and the Baumer/ijack reviews written a month ago will be complete :lol:

I tried bud. I went in with a clear mind. I know in the back of my mind I had the original Spidey playing and that tainted it, but I tried to give it a fair shake.

I feel like the opposite of baumer. Everything seemed well done and connected in this one than the 2002. And the score was awesome and liked it specially when he was injured and the workers where helping him out. I think Gwen should have gotten more screen but other than that awesome all round acting and action. I am do excited for a sequel to this. My audience were cheering and laughing, but no crying.8,7/10

• Like 7

I honestly don't see how anyone can call this the definitive Spider-Man.Peter Parker literally has no arc in this movie. He didn't even find his uncle's killer! He has to get help to do anything apparently.I was kinda indifferent towards the movie at first, but now I am starting to hate the shit out of it.

• Like 1

I thought it was very good over all.I prefer the way Parker/Spider-man is portrayed in this more than he was in the previous movies. Garfield did a great job.Stone blew Dunst out of the water!!! I never liked her as Mary Jane.Leary did a good job as did all the other actors.Ifans was good as Dr. Connors.I didn't have a problem with the way the Lizard looked.I thought the action scenes were very well done and I liked some of the first person views they had when he was swinging around. His showdowns with the Lizard were pretty cool, especially the sequence in the High School.I didn't like how quickly he tells Gwen that he's Spider-man. They could have saved that for either the very end or the next one. Also, there relationship felt a little rushed; although, I did think that they had good chemistry together.Also, Flash suddenly being all buddy buddy with after his Uncle died was kind of weird. Feels like there was scene or two missing their.Still, those are minor things to me. The movie as a whole was very good. I give it an A-

• Like 2

I feel like the opposite of baumer. Everything seemed well done and connected in this one than the 2002. And the score was awesome and liked it specially when he was injured and the workers where helping him out. I think Gwen should have gotten more screen but other than that awesome all round acting and action. I am do excited for a sequel to this. My audience were cheering and laughing, but no crying.8,7/10

Some girl behind me was crying when Uncle Ben died. Really awkward. I didn't even think that scene was handled well.
  • Like 1

I tried bud. I went in with a clear mind. I know in the back of my mind I had the original Spidey playing and that tainted it, but I tried to give it a fair shake.

I know, just having a little fun ;)And I'm seeing it tonight (3D liemax) so hopefully I like it...cause right now of the friends I have that have seen it, two said it was awesome, 2 said it was ok, and one said it stunk...so adding your score that's 2 awesomes, 2 oks and 2 stinks...I don't know what to expect :lol:

Some girl behind me was crying when Uncle Ben died. Really awkward. I didn't even think that scene was handled well.

That the entire thing comes from the cashier not taking a loss of $.02 is so stupid I can't fathom how it made it in. That is about the dumbest contrivance I can think of.ESPECIALLY with the "give a penny, take a penny" thing.

I think it was more dramatic in the 2002, but not so much here. Anyways when you have seen it happen before in a different way, what makes her cry again. :lol: Women!!!! :P