Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

not a great poster by any means, but not hideious I guess either, so I guess that fits how the movie looks so far.  As in not good, but probably won't be an F either :P 

First I'm hearing about this movie/trainwreck. They're really trying to make Cara Delevigne into a movie star, aren't they? Also, Clive Owen deserved more prolonged success.

ETA: I don't actually relish the prospect of stuff like this bombing. Expensive original blockbusters aren't exactly frequent these days.

Edited by Hatebox

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

They're really trying to make Cara Delevigne into a movie star, aren't they?

It depend who the they in that sentence (I'm not sure who it would be), I doubt Besson playing is company on is dream project did consider actor career much when casting. 

The budget is just 53 million more than Deepwater Horizon, I think it attracted such a reaction because we are not used at reading real gross production budget that much for blockbuster, it is a good 100-110 million less than the usual Spider Man movie and 30m cheaper than the first Guardian of the Galaxy.

If you want to compete with those, it will cost you close to them (could be foulish to try to compete with Hollywood studios and it is certainly a big risk) but competition would be great for us the consumer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chewy said:

Is that Jabba the hutt on that poster?

It's probably going to have a bit of confusion, at least domestically. Much like John Carter was criticized for cribbing from Star Wars, even though it was one of the main inspirational properties. Valerian might be in the same boat, sort of. Americans really aren't familiar with the original property, so it might come across as something of a ripoff.

Part of that is probably the lack of exposure. In the US, the translations are pretty scattered. I think it's better in the UK, where a publisher has been doing translations of all the graphic albums, but I don't think those are easily available over here. Maybe after the movie, if there's any sort of traction, we might see more comprehensive distribution. Perhaps not on Tintin or Asterix level, but possibly getting closer to that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

It's probably going to have a bit of confusion, at least domestically. Much like John Carter was criticized for cribbing from Star Wars, even though it was one of the main inspirational properties. Valerian might be in the same boat, sort of. Americans really aren't familiar with the original property, so it might come across as something of a ripoff.

Part of that is probably the lack of exposure. In the US, the translations are pretty scattered. I think it's better in the UK, where a publisher has been doing translations of all the graphic albums, but I don't think those are easily available over here. Maybe after the movie, if there's any sort of traction, we might see more comprehensive distribution. Perhaps not on Tintin or Asterix level, but possibly getting closer to that.

Just checked the Brazilian amazon site and the complete collection translated into Portuguese is coming out on the 15th of May here.

I'm debating whether to get it or the English version.