Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

Just now, marveldcfox said:

hmm.....so this releases on 26th July in France? Why is this releasing on 21st July in North America, again? I think their strategy is all wrong. They should release this in France and few overseas territories before releasing in North America. If the reviews and good and wom good that will help domestically.

exactly. only the U.S. and a couple other European countries are opening on the 21st. Hell, the UK isn't getting it till August 4....

maybe it'll feel like Besson is running away from Nolan if he moves, idk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, antovolk said:

exactly. only the U.S. and a couple other European countries are opening on the 21st. Hell, the UK isn't getting it till August 4....

So it all comes down to a dick contest. Sigh.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The trailer looks visually spectacular on the big screen

Hide contents

(still a shame about the leads).

So... $463m is the target though I expect it needs to hit the ancillaries as well so just matching it with China making up any US shortfall wouldn't be enough.

Without a doubt, even if the net budget after tax credit is about 175m (and the 207m figure a gross budget) and that it get a small for that type of movie 105m world P&Aand say a small 16m overhead (around 300m expense before bonus and home release), the 195-200 million theatrical revenue of a performance like Lucy will not be enough.

But that is true for almost every movie ever made in the home video era, the vast majority of studio revenue still come from ancillaries, very few movies business model would made any sense without them.

6 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

So it all comes down to a dick contest. Sigh.

yeah, well he has publicly talked about opening the same day as Dunkirk and how he was pissed at IMAX for taking the release away when Nolan dated Dunkirk

Valerian is so bombing. It needs strong charisma to sell that off the wall concept (I still don't know what the movie's about) but, unfortunately, these leads as bland as fuck. When Channing Tatum couldn't sell similar tough sell sci fi with greta visuals and incomprehensible story, I don't think Cara and DeHaan will. 

• Like 2

It should be a much more accessible Sci-fi (and "classic"), as accessible as it get, compared to something like Jupiter Ascending with Tatum or Cloud Atlas with Hanks. And Tatum was in a character not used as a movie star.

Luc Besson is a lot like Zack Snyder....a very divisive director.

In France, the critics have the same criticism of him that many US Critics have of Snyder....a nice visual sense, a nice style, but really lacking in the story/character department. Style without any real substance, basically.

As far as box office goes,I think the studio expects this film to make it's big money overseas,and if the film does fairly well in the US it will be satisfied with that.

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

Without a doubt, even if the net budget after tax credit is about 175m (and the 207m figure a gross budget) and that it get a small for that type of movie 105m world P&Aand say a small 16m overhead (around 300m expense before bonus and home release), the 195-200 million theatrical revenue of a performance like Lucy will not be enough.

But that is true for almost every movie ever made in the home video era, the vast majority of studio revenue still come from ancillaries, very few movies business model would made any sense without them.

Yes the point being there are no signs it's going to do Lucy numbers in the US which means ancillaries from the US will be down as well and they can't make that up with most other markets even if the WW theatrical totals are equal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Yes the point being there are no signs it's going to do Lucy numbers in the US which means ancillaries from the US will be down as well and they can't make that up with most other markets even if the WW theatrical totals are equal.

It's a French studio though, isn't it? Doesn't the rules change then?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, antovolk said:

His company is on the line as his dream movie - he's being exceedingly foolish if he's not trying to maximize it's B.O. potential and instead choosing to stroke his own ego.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

A I see, completely misread you, yes every window tend to be heavily correlated with the BO performance for movies like that.

One good element for them, is that they will not be hurt by exchange rate like an US company.

• Like 2

Just now, Arlborn said:

It's a French studio though, isn't it? Doesn't the rules change then?

Why would the rules change?  Films of this size, or this budget - have to think globally.   It still needs the most money possible. 

The studio makes more money with $150m US than it would with $300m China - not only theatrically but especially in terms of ancillary.  Just like taking into account that the UK ancillary market is stronger than Spain or Italy's, or Japan's is stronger than South Korea's.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Why would the rules change?  Films of this size, or this budget - have to think globally.   It still needs the most money possible. 

The studio makes more money with $150m US than it would with $300m China - not only theatrically but especially in terms of ancillary.  Just like taking into account that the UK ancillary market is stronger than Spain or Italy's, or Japan's is stronger than South Korea's.

Won't they get a bigger slice of it from Europe in general though compared to a Hollywood studio?

Allow me to say that I still haven't really paid all that much attention to the movie, but I got an ad for the movie while watching Guardians 2 (not the trailer, but something linked to a charity my theater runs which Valerian's sponsoring), and the little footage I saw honestly was pretty jaw-dropping. I didn't think it looked incredible on my laptop, but on the big screen it was pure eye candy. I don't know if I'll see it or not, but I'm now somewhat hooked...although hopefully, I'll like more than just the pretty visuals.