Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

4 hours ago, Harley said:

Europacorp being off the hook financially with this movie has been exaggerated.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/luc-besson-europacorp-earnings-record-loss-valerian-action-focus-1202121232/

" The costly passion project has some of Europa’s risk mitigated with over 70% of the budget covered by offshore deals. Besson in May told Deadline that if the film gets up into Lucy territory ($460M+) “then we’re fine."

There is more then offshore deals (those are pre-sales of distribution market) that make them off the hook.

They pre-sold some in France too (it is the norm to preget some of your potential box office, TV), their is a massive tax credit and I would imagine co-investor.

6 minutes ago, franfar said:

Do we have an estimate of how much this needs to do in order to break even?

Overall Besson said Lucy type of performance would be an ok one (so I would guess a small but clear positive return for everyone involved).

From the studio point of view it was so much pre-sold, that a bit like for a Power Rangers the concept of break even would be a strange one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

The most I see this doing domestically is John Carter numbers (and even that feels really optimistic). They're gonna have to pray international audiences take to this for it to end up as anything other than a significant write-off.

I think this film was always meant to make it big bucks overseas.  Besson is much bigger overseas then he is in the US. Without getting into a debate about Besson as a filmmaker, it is safe to say that often his films are an acquired taste for US audiences...and the investors in this film had to know that going in. I think Lucy numbers are the best it can hope for in the US.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Impossible said:

Depends on how much it does in each country. Each country has a different tax rate of how much the studio gets from gross. 

The rule of thumb is, if everything is averaged in, a studio gets roughly 50% of the box office for a film.

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The rule of thumb is, if everything is averaged in, a studio gets roughly 50% of the box office for a film.

That was a good rule when big movie were getting about 58% domestic, 40% intl and were domestic heavy.

Now because of China, using it would be sometime just way too misleading, a movie like Warcraft didn't get 40% of the box office for an example.

The rules of thumb I would use is (for major movie release, smaller movie get much worst deal)

.53 x dom + .4 x (intl-china) + .25 x (china)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I must be really stupid or just clueless, because I don't see what it is that so many people find awful about these trailers. :( 

Yeah even casual moviegoers/youtubers are hating on it. Weird. I am just hating that it costed so much and is potentially going to bomb hard. Sad really.

47 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I must be really stupid or just clueless, because I don't see what it is that so many people find awful about these trailers. :( 

The leads are off-putting. Incredibly so. I'm normally not one to blame casting for a movie doing poorly, but if this does poorly, I'm gonna put at least part of the blame on the casting. Just a really bad job.

Also, even though the source material was, at its time, more original, it's been lifted from so much that it feels derivative of the stuff that derived from it, sorta like John Carter.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Yeah even casual moviegoers/youtubers are hating on it. Weird. I am just hating that it costed so much and is potentially going to bomb hard. Sad really.

why do you hate it that this movie cost much? it's not like besson held you in a gunpoint and tell you to pay for the $200 million budget.

unless you're a europacorp employee that might lose your job from the movie bombing, i really don't see why a movie's financial prospect gonna affect what you feel about it when you haven't even watched it yet

• Like 3