Jack Nevada

Kids' Movies Not Suitable for Kids

Kids (most kids, anyway) love dark movies. It's usally the parents who are more freaked out by them.

Yeah, a movie isn't inappropriate for kids just because it's dark. Most Disney movies adopt a dark, intense atmosphere for their climaxes. Don Bluth has been quoted as saying that kids can handle anything so long as you give them a happy ending. Edited by tribefan695

I'm always absolutely stunned Disney managed to get away with the "Hellfire" scene/song in Hunchback of Notre Dame. Topics the song deals with? Frollo confessing his great sexual lust over Esmerelda (who he believes cursed him to feel this way as she's a gypsy), plenty of references to demons and the devil, asking the gypsies be "smitten", and finally Frollo asking God (or the Devil?) that if Esmerelda doesn't choose to be with him that she burn in hellfire. All the while demons and fire are surrounding him in the church while he's singing. This is from a kid's movie? :huh:Besides that the whole movie is pretty dark and heavy handed with witchcraft, demons, all the religious topics, deformity issues, etc..

Yeah, but then they had the wisecracking gargoyles and some colorful songs. ;)One of the differences that stands out to me about animated movies now and animated movies in the '90s is how the MPAA ratings and attitudes around them have shifted. Before Shrek in 2001, it was rare to see animated movies get anything other than a G, and most of the PG ones fell short of box office expectations (even The Prince of Egypt, which was only the second non-Disney animated movie to surpass $100 million domestically, was expected to be a bigger hit than it was). Now, however, it's rare to see animated movies hit screens with the G rather than the PG, and it doesn't seem like there's much concern about an animated movie being PG unless it's buzzed about as being scary (like Coraline). With how greatly things have shifted, I think most of the Disney renaissance movies would be rated PG if they were released today.

I figure as long as there is a happy ending, a funny character, bright colors, and nothing graphic (sexual or violent) then kids can handle anything.Any risqué jokes or innuendo, they won't understand or catch anyway. So I never care about those being in "kids" movies.

For some reason, it wasn't the tunnel scene that scared me as a kid. It was the scene where Wonka yells at Charlie, resulting in "You lose! Good day, sir!" When we watched it in 2nd grade, everyone wanted the teacher to fast forward on that scene, but not the scary tunnel.

For some reason, it wasn't the tunnel scene that scared me as a kid. It was the scene where Wonka yells at Charlie, resulting in "You lose! Good day, sir!" When we watched it in 2nd grade, everyone wanted the teacher to fast forward on that scene, but not the scary tunnel.

Now that I think about it, he really does become a completely different character in that scene. He's no longer the charmingly sarcastic guy everyone's come to love, he's sincerely angry and heartbroken and it's hard to watch. That he's no longer wearing his signature jacket and hat amplifies it. Edited by tribefan695