vc2002

Johnny Depp about to get paid $90m for a 5th Pirates film???

Then maybe I have a different definition of milking. Milking to me means you are throwing out a film to an audience that has clearly grown tired of your product in the desperate hope that you might squeeze a few dollars out of that film.Milking it is not putting out a film that audiences clearly care about and want to see. Pirates is at the top or close to the top of that food chain right now. TDKR might not even pass it WW. So say it's milking all you want, but one of the top 10 films of all time gross wise, to me is not milking.

Exactly. What is funny is that people only bring up the "milking" argument when it comes to franchises they don't like. (like POTC or Transformers). I can easily say that making more than ten Marvel universe movies in less than ten years is "milking". Or rebooting franchises like Star Trek or Planet of the Apes is "milking:"
  • Like 1

On Stranger Tides did great in terms of OS gross. But the trend here in North America was a different story, seeing as it is the lowest grossing and lowest attended of the POTC films. So in terms of the North American movie audiences it can be said that they are milking this franchise.

• Like 1

On Stranger Tides did great in terms of OS gross. But the trend here in North America was a different story, seeing as it is the lowest grossing and lowest attended of the POTC films. So in terms of the North American movie audiences it can be said that they are milking this franchise.

Yup, it was the lowest attended by far. Clearly interest in North America has dropped. But I guess they will try and make this into a live action Ice Age.

Canada/US is one market. There are about 100 other markets where it did well.

Exactly. What is funny is that people only bring up the "milking" argument when it comes to franchises they don't like. (like POTC or Transformers). I can easily say that making more than ten Marvel universe movies in less than ten years is "milking". Or rebooting franchises like Star Trek or Planet of the Apes is "milking:"

I like Pirates and I still think it's milking. They're milking all the franchises. Edited by lab276

Yup, it was the lowest attended by far. Clearly interest in North America has dropped. But I guess they will try and make this into a live action Ice Age.

North America's becoming less and less relevant with booming OS markets. IA3/4 ratio's are 20/80 and POTC5 most likely will do that. These franchises are printing money for studio and I see no reason for studios to stop making them.
  • Like 1

Good for you JD, take the big $$$, play a character you love to play, then go make movies you really want to without giving a damn about 'will it make enough money', go win that Oscar.

I don't think Depp operates that way anymore. He doesn't care about Oscars or good roles. He just wants that $$$.