2001 A Space Odyssey

53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

just watched this again, as good as ever. i think it might be a little too much at times, but some of the sequences are perfect - breathing in space, shutting down HAL, monkey madness. i read perhaps my favourite interpretation of the ending, which is that hyperintelligent aliens and humans are analogous to humans and ants, and that anything they do will be completely meaningless to us.

89/100, A

My dad showed me 2001 when I was either nine or ten. I don't remember being bored.

Interesting. I think probably because a nice-year-old won't be digging into the plot once he finds he has problem understanding it, and he will pay all his attention to the eye-candy part, which 2001 is a big eye-candy (particularly for kids that love space stuff). I think once you are over certain age, you are gonna get bothered by the plot as you want to figure out WTF is going on, and the harded it is, more bothered you will get.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

At first I was a bit confused. Then, it started making sense. Then, it all went to hell. I wouldn't call this the best movie ever or anything related to that because I didn't understand too much of it. There are also so many unanswered questions that on a movie that came out today, people would pick on them and tear that movie apart for not having a good script or whatever excuse they found. This is one of those cases where someone says "The sky is blue" and there has to be someone who thinks that the meaning of life is hidden in that sentence when all that guy said was that the sky was fucking blue.

Still, it was pretty well done, I give it that. The score was amazing and the effects were also pretty good for a movie that came out in 1968. Still, there are so many questions unanswered and so many things that seem random rather than planned or intending to have a meaning, that I can't give this more than a B

• Like 1

It's strange. I saw it for the first time when I was like 14 and thought it was incredible. Saw it for the second time this past January and, to my own shock, was bored out of my skull. The first 30 minutes or so were still great, but after that I quickly lost all connection with it. Just did not care... at all. I don't even know. I'll obviously see it again sometime down the line, but it's not looking good. 

Okay watched it again and liked it quite a bit more than I have. Visually it was always incredible. However this time I didn't I wasn't as bored as I was in past viewings.

Two things the dawn of man sequence runs too long. And the last half hour while visually mind bending I still feel no emotional investment in what happened to Dave. Perhaps if we were introduced to him in the film sooner

Do I think it's one of the greatest films ever? No, but it's certainly earned my respect this time. B

This film is massively overrated, and I think it is only considered a masterpiece because it has been called that for so long and no one wants to sound stupid on the matter. Like Citizen Kane, this is an expertly crafted film, with amazing directing and visuals, however, the film is overly boring and relies too heavily on its visuals. Essentially, this is an art house film by today's standards and a movie like this would be shat upon and not be considered a classic if released today.

• Like 1

This film is massively overrated, and I think it is only considered a masterpiece because it has been called that for so long and no one wants to sound stupid on the matter. Like Citizen Kane, this is an expertly crafted film, with amazing directing and visuals, however, the film is overly boring and relies too heavily on its visuals. Essentially, this is an art house film by today's standards and a movie like this would be shat upon and not be considered a classic if released today.

Sighhh...

Sometimes you just have no idea what you saw and this is one of those times. All I know is that it was boring as hell. But I do know that the movie was expertly crafted and had stunning visuals even by today's standards and I recognize that it isn't a movie for me, at least not at this point, and I will not attempt to offer a numerical grade.

• Like 3