2001 A Space Odyssey

53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Amazes me even today there are still folks who think this film sucks. Goes to show how unique we all are. Everyone has a different reaction to art.

I could take a shit, smudge it on the wall and it would be considered art, kinda what Kubrick did here, only he filmed it.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

This wilm went from the beginning of mankind to a birth of new species in 2 hours flat 

2 hours ! 

Think about that next time you're watching an overlong Hollywood blockbuster that goes on way longer than it should ( not talking about Interstellar here ) 

Amazes me even today there are still folks who think this film sucks. Goes to show how unique we all are. Everyone has a different reaction to art.

I have seen the film 5 times, wrote a paper on it and convinced myself it was a masterpiece. But, really, it isn't. It is an amazing crafted film and is the film Terrence Malick wishes he could make. I can see why film elitists love the film so much, but detaching myself from the technical marvels and over-reliance on visuals, the movie is dull, boring, over-long and confusing unless you read up on what it is about. The film primarily got famous because it came out in the 60's and people got high watching the film or having LSD trips.

Yes, it influenced filmmakers. Yes, it helped improve special effects. Yes, Kubrick is an amazing, amazing director and this film is proof. However, that does not take away from the fact that the film ultimately sucks. There is little to no enjoyment value watching the film. The sole purpose of its existence is to be studied upon in film schools and analyzed frame-by-frame and have books and papers written on it. 

I guess from an intellectual discussion standpoint, the movie somewhat succeeds. But, otherwise, 2001 while a classic is a not a good movie. 

• Like 2