53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 2014-01-09 at 2:31 AM, vc2002 said:

Interesting. I think probably because a nice-year-old won't be digging into the plot once he finds he has problem understanding it, and he will pay all his attention to the eye-candy part, which 2001 is a big eye-candy (particularly for kids that love space stuff). I think once you are over certain age, you are gonna get bothered by the plot as you want to figure out WTF is going on, and the harded it is, more bothered you will get.

On 2014-11-07 at 9:40 AM, CloneWars said:

This film is massively overrated, and I think it is only considered a masterpiece because it has been called that for so long and no one wants to sound stupid on the matter. Like Citizen Kane, this is an expertly crafted film, with amazing directing and visuals, however, the film is overly boring and relies too heavily on its visuals. Essentially, this is an art house film by today's standards and a movie like this would be shat upon and not be considered a classic if released today.

...And then you grow even older... realizing plot doesn't really matter that much anyways... 
Thinking... Fuck plot... I don't need plot to like a movie... I need pictures that are open, breathing, and an idea that somehow is realized through a sequence of frames... I don't need the director or writers to tell me how to feel by the dialogue nor plot points... Rather I need to hear someone talk about a unique idea in a unique way...

Plot plot plot....... That's all what teenager's think about nowada

ys. 

• Like 3

On 3/13/2017 at 6:07 AM, Hatebox said:

God I wish the term 'overrated' could somehow be banned on the internet. Then people who didn't like something would actually have to talk about why they didn't like it, instead of just talking about the reaction to it.

If one hears great praise for a film and watches a film and it does not live up to that buzz, its 'overrated'.

It can still be a well made film. 

46 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

If one hears great praise for a film and watches a film and it does not live up to that buzz, its 'overrated'.

It can still be a well made film. 

But that's my point: 'overrated' tells us nothing about the film itself. So who cares, really?

Apart from anything else, we already know how films like 2001 and Godfather are perceived in the pantheon, so it's not even interesting to talk about its reception because it's old news.

• Like 1

Monolithic as fuck.

I sat down to watch this on Monday evening, and had to turn the damn thing off after the initial half hour.  Simply put, one does not half-ass this viewing.  With that background in mind, I settled in for the viewing Tuesday night.

I've been sitting here for the past ten minutes with no real idea as to how to start this review.  The viewing itself is damn near indescribable.  I've always felt that it's somewhat hyperbolic to say that something is "stunning."  With that said, this film is fucking stunning, plain and simple.

I'm not going to sit here and try to ruminate on the meaning of the film, and offer my own interpretation of the events within.  There are countless theories and ideas out there that can do far more justice than my feeble mind.  As such, I will simply convey my thoughts and opinions of how the viewing made me feel.

Whereas other sci-fi epics in the vein of Solaris ground their material heavily with the human element, this film goes in the opposite direction.  Specifically, the humans are mere vessels in conveying the film's story, and the themes found within.  In many ways the viewing is a love letter to science, space, space exploration, and all things unknown.

The opening moments of this film consist of the score (speaking of the score, what an collection of  music for the viewer to take in) playing with a black screen in the background followed by some serene shots of nature in its most pure form.  A subtle opening, but one that hints at what is to come.  Specifically, this is a mood piece above all else.  And what a mood piece it ultimately is.

From the very outset a strong sense of awe is placed directly on the viewer.  The magical thing about this is that awe comes from Kubrick himself.  It doesn't take long to gather the love and admiration Kubrick holds for the source material, and that love and admiration quickly rubs off on the viewer.  I've heard that Kubrick is known for attention to detail, but one does not truly grasp what that means until they experience it first hand.

While not going into too many specifics, the most amazing aspect of this film is the fact that, despite it being firmly ingrained in the science realm, it can be a transcendent viewing experience for both scientifically-inclined and religious folk.  The story unfolds in such a way that both modes of thought have ample to chew on, and items to interpret.  It's open-minded cinema that simultaneously appeals to opposite ends of the spectrum as it pertains to existential themes.

In a way, the initial viewing of this film is very much like the monoliths portrayed in the film.  Specifically, it opens one up to the material, and entices one to tackle it with a different mindset in subsequent viewings.  I feel like I merely dipped my damn toes into what the film ultimately has to offer.  Perhaps one day I'll tread lightly into the deep end.

Took a journey to the far reaches of space on a Tuesday night, and enjoyed every damn minute of it.

• Like 2

2001: A Space Odyssey is spectacular. Kubrick brilliantly utilizes the pure nature of cinema through cuts, sound, and cinematography to deliver a truly beautiful experience. The 2.2:1 aspect ratio adds to the otherworldly nature of it, and it's truly overwhelming to really go in depth on after a first watch. One thing is certain though. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a one-of-the-kind cinematic experience, one that's absolutely magnificent in nearly every way. A

• Like 1

Personally, this kind of movie is not really my cup of tea. It felt more like a spaceship concept art festival than a coherent story being told. And I love Kubrick to death, but this is the type of film I would never want to watch again.

That being said, I can't give it less than a B because it is the father of sci-fi, the architect of visual effects as we know them (came out in 1968 and it still looks absolutely stunning), HAL-9000 is an icon, the atmosphere is eery and creepy and the movie's themes are pretty interesting. Did way too much for cinema for me to not at least fully respect it.

Watched this for the second time, I'm not smart enough to put into words how immensely complex this film is but it is really extraordinary. Everything in the frame has a purpose in what it looks like and what it means. It is incredible.

Also was very nice being with other people who clearly felt the same way, because not only did the whole audience sit through the credits, we all sat in silence through the 5 minute outro after the credits, to a black screen, until the film reel was completely done. 

• Like 1