Noctis

Paranorman - a film that will quietly make history?

For the past week, there's been a lot of debates about the film Paranorman. To anyone who has seen it, they'll know why. Paranorman is the first animated film in history to have an openly gay character (which avoids a lot of stereotypes). Personally, I found it to be an immensely delightful surprise. A lot of religious people are furious about it, though.Discuss.

Fuck religion if they are so terrified of something that they think someone wrote in a book 3000 years ago. Guess what? That same book says its okay to stone your wife if she cheats on you. I guess it's okay to put that in a cartoon but a gay person....WOAH!

• Like 8

I really liked the film, but that moment will be remembered as a clever (if daring) joke, rather than something that will make history.I like how the kept the joke, though, since it traces back to the movie's pro-tolerance and anti-bullying message.

Edited by Spaghetti

The whole gay thing was just a joke at the end of the movie. ParaNorman wasn't like BrokeBack Mountain animated.

Agreed. I think some folks are blowing something so tiny out of proportion. It's not even mentioned in any mainstream top critic reviews. Can't make a revolution if no one notices or cares. (Put me in the 2nd category) Edited by JackO
  • Like 1

Agreed. I think some folks are blowing something so tiny out of proportion. It's not even mentioned in any mainstream top critic reviews. Can't make a revolution if no one notices or cares. (Put me in the 2nd category)

It is only lightly mentioned in most Christian reviews. Most sites just say, "She flirts with the guy incessantly and, in the end, seems to secure a movie date with him. That's when Courtney finds out that he's gay. "You're gonna love my boyfriend," he says. "He's like a total chick-flick nut!" " They don't expound anymore or even bring it up in the final conclusion about the movie.