Gopher

Weekend Box Off... You Know What, Who Cares (9/7-9)

WOW This report looks a lot different then it did earlier for Indy

FRIDAY 10 PM, 2ND UPDATE: This is traditionally such a terrible box office weekend that Hollywood schedules only low-profile movies. The fall movie season started with a whimper. Among wider release newcomers, CBS Films’ Sundance pickup The Words (2,801 theaters) is in line with the studio’s very modest expectations and tracking for this low-budget drama masquerading as an art house pic. It should end up #2 or #3 which isn’t meaningful with grosses this low. Meanwhile Hollywood has to start asking itself whether Bradley Cooper really is a draw for female moviegoers. And the other newcomer couldn’t even crack the Top 10: it came in 12th on Friday. Nobody not even studio execs expected Summit Entertainment’s Bruce Willis-Henry Cavill thriller Cold Light Of Day (1,511 theaters) to do anything but tank. Talk about a minimal marketing effort: I don’t even recall seeing a single ad for what’s yet another Cavill underwhelmer leading up to Man Of Steel. That 267-venue IMAX exclusive run of Paramount’s Raiders Of The Lost Ark was the #2 matinee but fell to 14th place by end of day. It’s part of the promotional push for the September 18th Blu-ray release of Steven Spielberg’s and George Lucas’ Indiana Jones: The Complete Collection. Ah, the rich get richer. But I’m surprised that the sheer idiocy of The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull didn’t sour filmgoers on the entire Indiana Jones franchise.

Fuller analysis coming. The Top Five based on Friday estimates:

1. The Possession (Lionsgate) Week 2 [2,834 Runs] PG13

Friday $3.0M (-51%), Weekend $9.2M, Cume $33.1M

2. The Words (CBS Films) New [2,801 Runs] PG13

Friday $1.7M, Weekend $5.3M, Cume $5.4M

3. Lawless (Weinstein Co) Week 2 [3,138 Runs] R

Friday $1.6M (-40%), Weekend $5.3M, Cume $22.9M

4. The Expendables 2 (Lionsgate) Week 4 [3,260 Runs] R

Friday $1.2M, Weekend $4.4M, Cume $75.1M

5. The Bourne Legacy ((Universal) Week 5 [2,766 Runs] PG13

Friday $1.1M, Weekend $3.7M, Cume $103.4M

12. Cold Light Of Day (Summit/Lionsgate) NEW [1,511 Runs] PG13

Friday $600K, Weekend $1.8M

13. Raiders Of The Lost Ark (Paramount) NEW [267 IMAX] PG

Friday $400K, Weekend $1.1M, Cume $246.1M

At least it will be better then this weekend:http://boxofficemojo...&wknd=46&p=.htm

I don't know... A holiday classic, a Connery Bond (even if it's the worst one), a Richard Pryor concert movie, ROTJ... Heck, I'd pay to see any of those on the big screen this weekend. :)(As long as ROTJ was the non-3D, non-SE, original version.) (And if it was at the ticket prices of that time!!!) Edited by MagnetMan

I don't know... A holiday classic, a Connery Bond (even if it's the worst one), a Richard Pryor concert movie, ROTJ... Heck, I'd pay to see any of those on the big screen this weekend. :)(As long as ROTJ was the non-3D, non-SE, original version.) (And if it was at the ticket prices of that time!!!)

LOL, I'ld go see Star Wars in theaters even if it was completely redone in stick figure animation!! Because it's SW and it's awesome. As for the weekend, I could care less other than Raiders, which I might go see.

I've noticed that the paranormal subgenre of horror tends to go against the grain of huge second weekend drops most other horror movies have (obviously not counting Devil Inside which had some of the worst WOM in recent memory). But as long as WOM isn't toxic these supernatural horror movies almost always have decent legs. I personally don't get the obsession the NA audience has with them. But obviously it goes back a long way cause look at The Exorcist.

Edited by MovieMan89

I don't know... A holiday classic, a Connery Bond (even if it's the worst one), a Richard Pryor concert movie, ROTJ... Heck, I'd pay to see any of those on the big screen this weekend. :)(As long as ROTJ was the non-3D, non-SE, original version.) (And if it was at the ticket prices of that time!!!)

Yeah, and that was a different era, when most movies started out low, then ended up with 10+ multipliers. And I personally find Never Say Never Again better than Diamonds are Forever, but that's probably due to growing up with it.