chasmmi

Top 10 Foreign Films (Language and Country)

As a Brit living in Korea who studied Hindi for a while and obviously has had a lot of exposure to US cinema, I sometimes feel it can be awkward when people talk about favourite films and I list films that nobody else has evr heard of.

So I wanted to do a list of top 10 foreign language films. I know that not everybody here is a native English speaker so for clarity of this particular thread, Foreign means made outside of an English Speaking Country and also made in a non-English language.

(Basically what I am saying is that The Passion doesn't count.) :)

If people could also clarify their home nation (and place of reference if it seems pertinent) it could also be interesting to see who from where watches what.

Here is my list: (You will notice that Asian CInema dominates)

Just Missed the Cut: Les Visiteurs, Anatomy, Alone, Nightwatch, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Tale of Two Sisters and many more...

10) La Femme Nikita - France

The only European Film on the proper list this is a film that used to be on the BBC all the time and there are scenes I remember even now. It was the first French film I really enjoyed (and possibly still the only non-comedy I've enjoyed,) and even if there are better films out there from across the channel this one has a special place for me.

9) Dil Chahta Hai - India

Good old Channel four and their habit of showing Bollywood films at 3am, I turned this on as I was about to sleep and was still awake and watching 3 hours later.

Set in Australia, the story is about love (I mean aren't all Indian Films :P), and like with any good Indian film you have the time to really get involved with the characters and the drama.

I am a fan of Bollywood, a big fan but also a very picky fan. These are not Hollywood films where 80 minutes later you're onto the next one, these things are 3 hours plus long and so need to hook an audience. This makes the actors pivitol to my enjoyment of a film.

I don't think there is any other cinema where charisma of the stars has such an important role to play. It is also the reason why if I were to list my top 10 Bollywood films, this would possibly be the only one not starring Shah Rukh Khan. Great acting and a great way to pass 3 hours.

8) The Terrorist - Tamil

A Tamil film I bought accidently when wanting to practice my Hindi and it is amazing. Set around a girl chosen to be a suicide bomber and the joy she feels at being chosen followed by the confliction she has as she learns more about what life is about.

7) My Sassy Girl - Korea

The classic Korean Comedy that is still the reason why every other song released here seems to sample Pacobels Canon. A fun and quirky comedy that was a huge hit across Asia back when Korean comedy were not hits across Asia.

A nice guy falls for a slightly crazy girl and as expected hijinks commence. Not much is lost on a Western audience bar the language and it doesn't fall foul to that too common Comedy mistake of making a character you are supposed to root for dislikable for 75 mintues of the film.

6) The Ring - Japan

There had to be a Japanese horror on the list so why not the best Japanese horror of all time and one of the best horrors anywhere. Still being copied, still not surpassed. No need to say more.

5) Thirst - Korea

This is the point where you realise I am a fan of Song Kang Ho and Park Chan Wook. The first of 4 Park Directed films on the list (2 of which star Song). This film is odd. A Catholic Priest who becomes a vampire and spends the film in turmoil over the inner struggle between his Catholic Faith to not harm and his Vampire lust for blood.

Some of the best acting you will see anywhere in the world takes place in this film it is awe inspiring at times. Park has told a better story before, but Song Kang-ho has never been better than in this film (and i consider him the best actor on the planet).

4) Oldboy - Korea

The one Korean film everyone may have watched and one of the most controversial endings in cinema. Winner of the grand jury prize in Cannes and a stunning piece of cinema all round.

3) JSA - Korea

A story about North and South Korean soldiers becoming friends. A true masterpiece (with again awesome acting from Kang-ho). The first and perhaps only Korean film to humanise its North Korean characters. A tour de force of cinema.

2) Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - Korea

One of Park's less popular films but yet my favourite Korean film. The lead actress is incredible in her role as a woman convicted of kidnapping and murdering a child and now out for revenge. There is tragedy, comedy, violence and everythig you need for a classic film.

The twist ain't bad either.

1) Kal Ho Naa Ho India

India and Shah Rukh Khan at their best. Stunning film, superbly acted, songs that I still listen to today (just look at my 100 film songs list) and an alround amazing film. One of only 3 films I brought with me to Korea in my suitcase when I moved.

If you have never watched Indian cinema, watch this one. If you don't like this then Bollywood isn't for you as this is the best.

City of GodNeon Genesis Evangelion; End of EvengelionBattle RoyaleY Tu Mama TambienAkiraThe City of Lost ChildrenAmores PerrosPan's LabyrinthAmelieLet The Right one InCrouching Tiger Hidden DragonCowboy Bebop: The Movie ..... I guess I watch this one dubbedAuditionTsotsiInfernal Affairsalways looking for more films I might like. If anyone has some suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.Oh and I forgot Oldboy great film also

Edited by ThatMovieGuy
  • Like 1

City of GodAmelieLet the Right One InPan's LabyrinthBiutifulAmores PerrosThose all came directly to mind fairly quickly for me. I'm from the US, but my family is from Mexico... for perspective I guess. Three of the films are in Spanish so there you go.

Hey dude have you seen Y tu mama tambien? if not check it out, it is a must see!

10. The City of Life and Death (China)

9. Infernal Affairs (Hong Kong)

8. The Young Master (Hong Kong)

7. Jackie Chan's Who Am I? (Hong Kong)

6. Rumble in the Bronx (Hong Kong)

5. Police Story 2 (Hong Kong)

4. Police Story 3: Supercop (Hong Kong)

3. Black Mask (Hong Kong)

2. Operation Condor: Armour of God II (Hong Kong)

1. Project A: Part II (Hong Kong)

Edited by The Toymaker