The Movie Man

Are you as Excited about Future Movie Openings, as in the Past?

Are you as Excited about Future Movie Openings, as in the Past?Me not as much? In the past, I would do a countdown, and almost always see it on opening day, and then hit the internet movie forums to talk about it!Now, I will see it in the opening week, but the excitement isn't there as much for me, anymore!

It obviously depends on the film that is coming out. What's coming out now that is really going to get you excited?

Well lets talk the Matrix 2/3 and LOTR 2/3 vs Dark Knight...or what is coming out in Holiday 2012/Summer 2013 vs the past. Etc Etc Etc.Maybe it is just me getting older?

Maybe it is just me getting older?

I thought about that too. But there are still movies that I got really excited for, but no it is not the same as when I was younger. I am already wondering what I will even want to see next year and can't come up with much.

Of course not. When I was younger, the movie coming out was my world. I got posters, watched clips, trailers daily, got excited for them. Now, I have more of a life, I cannot dedicate enough enthusiasm towards a movie. Not only that, I don't think I would even if I had the time. It is just a movie at the end of the day.Also years ago when we didn't get as much shoved in our faces, anticipation was created in our minds rather than being force-fed everything from studios. They are still to grasp the concept of marketing effectively. Back in 2000 I had a terrible dial-up connection, and I would wait hours to download a 2 minute trailer for Get Carter. At the time I didn't enjoy that, but every mili-second that loaded, I was interested in seeing. I got excited for the movie, and not just that one, but many others. Nowadays we can see everything we want, whenever we want. I can view 20 trailers in an hour now, and I can forget 19 of them.The same happened in the 80s. People didn't know so much about movies, so they only had their thoughts and anticipation to fuel their desire to see it.Perhaps the quality of movies has gone down too. A combination of the two.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'll give you a great example. Back in 2004, I was coming back from a trip to Las Vegas with my parents (I was 11) and I saw a poster of "The Day After Tomorrow" somewhere around San Bernandino. I WENT APESHIT. I LOVE DISASTER movies, and I saw that it was from the director of "ID4" so my anticipation was through the roof. I didn't have a computer back then, so when I went to the library I would look up the trailers and commercials for it and checked the movie's website, which showed a countdown til the end of the world or something like that. I WENT CRAZY. I HAD TO SEE IT AND I DID, on Memorial Weekend, the weekend it came out. I LOVED IT. Fast-forward just 5 years later and 2012 is coming out Nov. 2009, probably a week away, I still felt a LOT of excitement, but it wasn't nearly a tenth of what I felt with TDAT. Oh well, I think it just comes with age. Sadly. =(

I still get excited quite a bit, but I peaked a couple of years ago with TRON: Legacy. I was massively invested in to that movie. I watched the trailers countless times, took part in the viral campaign from January 2010 until release, got loads of free stuff from the viral campaign and was there at midnight in IMAX, 50 miles from home wearing all the stuff i'd gotten in the viral campaign. I haven't even gotten close to my excitement for that since, even though I was severely pumped for stuff like The Muppets, The Hunger Games and The Dark Knight Rises.

Nah. I've actually lost a lot of interest in the box office and just film overall this year for some reason. I remember the days where I used to literally watch the Potter trailer every single day in excitement. And then there was Pirates, with it's absolutely amazing trailers that got me SO pumped (not OST). Same for Spiderman. It just doesn't happen very often anymore.The next one is probably The Hobbit, just because I love LOTR so much...

The combination of working in a cinema and the generally shitty state of Hollywood filmmaking has killed most of my enthusiasm for future releases. There's still the odd film that will generate some childlike excitement in me (TL, S8 and TA to name three recent examples) but for the most part the magic is gone.