A Marvel Fanboy

Flopped Actors/Actresses Thread

yeah don't agree with ben affleck on that list!and sometimes those DTV films even if awful (i'm looking at you syfy) sadly pay the billsthe way i see it hollywood is a pool and its over-saturated with fish, only a chosen few get invited to the jacuzzi

I dunno if he can be considered a flop, but Sam Worthington is not near the star most in Hollywood probably thought he would be.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. The guy's probably calling Cameron every other week. "Hey man, any update on when we're doing those Avatar sequels yet?"
  • Like 3

Sometimes I wonder why actors who have made a career in film "lower" themselves to TV, and then I watch the shows and realize it's better than 90% of the stuff they'd get as a studio film actor (I'm looking at you Claire Danes).

Have you seen what they get paid? It's just as much if not more than feature films.
  • Like 1

Gerard Butler

He hasn't made many good choices lately, but it hasn't been that long since he's had a hit. Also, I would argue that I don't see him being setup as much to be a star on his own...he's more like "that guy" and on that level he's pretty successful. The guy is no Paul Bettany(who should be on this list, BTW). Machine Gun Preacher was a horribly marketed, misunderstood and underrated film. If no one has seen it, it's worth a look. I personally found it to be a gripping account of a true story.
  • Like 1

But doesn't it require less time?How long does a 12 episode season shoot for? 3-4 months? And doesn't it usually take around the same amount of time to film a 2 hour blockbuster?

No, filming for a 12 episode season takes more time. Most films' shooting schedules are 60-70 days max.Also, most films that have lengthy shooting schedules aren't shooting film continuously. They take breaks during the filming because they have to wait for certain climate conditions, change locations, wait for actors to free up, etc. TDKR shot between May and November 2011, but it was not continuous but staggered and broken up. Edited by 4815162342

Overall the pay may be the same, but it's also for a far greater volume of work.

How? They film what....15-20 episodes, which takes about 3-4 months to film, and that's about how long it would take to film a feature film.

Kate HudsonBen AffleckJosh HartnettJosh LucasLindsay LohanWinona RyderChris O'DonnellAlicia SilverstoneColin FarrellRyan PhillippeOrlando BloomMatt DillonBrandon RossMena SuvariJesseca AlbaJust to name a few

I think the definition of flopped needs to be defined here. What exactly does it mean? To me, Lindsay Lohan is a flop because she ruined her once very promising career by becoming a drug addict and a bitch to work with. But every actor you have on that list is successful or has been in some way. Not every actor is going to be a A-lister who opens a film by themselves and makes 20 mill a movie. But I can take every one of those names and tell you why they are successful. Winona Ryder? A flop? Seriously? She's been around for 25 years and she has been working steadily ever since her debut in Lucas. She is far from a flop.Ryan Phillipe? Come on guys, these are not flops. Someone mentioned Nic Cage. Oscar winner and a huge draw for years. Not everyone stays on top, they never do. He is anything but a flop. Ryan Reynolds? Really?I find this thread to be kind of laughable. Sorry, no offense.
  • Like 3

For me, a flop is someone Hollywood really pushed to be their next big leading man and audiences just kinda shrugged and said "Nah." that's why I think someone like Colin Farrell is a good example, because they're still trying to make him big deal what with Total Recall.You can also look at it as an actor who was once very successful but their career flopped later on. Like Winona Ryder, great actress but after that shoplifting thing her career totally took a dive. Been ages since she's had a major leading role.

• Like 1

For me, a flop is someone Hollywood really pushed to be their next big leading man and audiences just kinda shrugged and said "Nah." that's why I think someone like Colin Farrell is a good example, because they're still trying to make him big deal what with Total Recall.You can also look at it as an actor who was once very successful but their career flopped later on. Like Winona Ryder, great actress but after that shoplifting thing her career totally took a dive. Been ages since she's had a major leading role.

She took a hit for a few years but she's working steady again. She was never a main actress before the shoplifting thing anyway. Now she's in stuff like Black Swan and the Dilemma. She's fine and her career is back on track.

She took a hit for a few years but she's working steady again. She was never a main actress before the shoplifting thing anyway. Now she's in stuff like Black Swan and the Dilemma. She's fine and her career is back on track.

I've never even heard of the Dilemma.

I've never even heard of the Dilemma.

You mean the one with Vince Vaughn, Kevin James and Jennifer Connely? A major 2011 release by Imagine Entertainment and directed by Ron Howard. Haven't heard of that one?