A Marvel Fanboy

Flopped Actors/Actresses Thread

She was also pretty good in Win-Win. It'll be a struggle for her to probably get a higher profile or Oscar baity "leading lady" role again but so far she's managing to get herself cast in some pretty solid films. But I guess that's only one person.

What? She wasn't in Win Win.

Doesn't ring any bells.

Just cause you don't recall it doesn't mean its not a major film. She even beat out other actresses like Kate Beckinsale for the role.

Holy shit. This woman could be her double. I've seen Win-Win twice and was convinced it was Winona.

Posted Image

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001491/

Winona can only give her trademark smirk to that!

Posted Image

• Like 1

Kate Hudson

She flopped as a potentially great actress. She is an oscar nominee but decided to pursue boxoffice with shitty romcoms and now can`t open a coke let alone a movie. i`d put Adrien "one Oscar Wonder" brody in the same cateorgy only he pursued boxoffice in shitty actioneers for which he had no charisma (not that he has charisma for anything)

Ben Affleck

Absolutely NOT a flop, great rebound with directing and acting in his awesome movies.

Winona Ryder

She was caught stealing.

Colin Farrell

NOT a flop. he isn`t a leading man in big movies but he`s a decent actor in small movies and supporting roles. If he is a flop so is Viggo Mortensen who also can`t open a movie of any budget.

Orlando Bloom

Definition of flop, poster boy for a flop. The Biggest Flop of all times.

Matt Dillon

he`s always been around, never at the top but still staying relevant, more so than Jared "I banged every actress in Hollywood although I`m a nobody" Leto.

Mena Suvari

The curse of American Beauty. See also Wes Bentley and Thora Birch (who had career before the cursed Oscah winner) Now for real flops or career suicides look no further from:a) stripper floppers Elizabeth Berkely (Showgirls) and Demi Moore (Striptease) - because the movies were retardedly bad, they were bad and even their nudity was hilarious, not sexyB) shiekster flopper Miranda Shitto (TTT and Shriekapoo) - she bared her bad teeth and shrieked - porcelain teeth-obsessing movie industry pukedc) kicker flopper Thomas Ian Griffith (karate Kid 3) - this real-life black belt`s scenery swallowing and hystericla laughter are two of 4 main reasons why KK3 is considered one of classic turkeys ever (other 2 are script and Macchio`s gigantic ass).
  • Like 2

She took a hit for a few years but she's working steady again. She was never a main actress before the shoplifting thing anyway. Now she's in stuff like Black Swan and the Dilemma. She's fine and her career is back on track.

Gotta disagree with you on Ryder - she was a big deal in the mid 90s. Her career was actually fading even before the the shoplifting incident and ever since she's been taking mediocre supporting roles ever since. That's more of an age issue than anything else though. Audiences really did like her one point, and for quite a while. Edited by Hatebox

How? They film what....15-20 episodes, which takes about 3-4 months to film, and that's about how long it would take to film a feature film.

Most feature films take far less than 3-4 months to film. Also, 15-20 episodes is 15-20 hours of on-screen work, compared to 2 hours of onscreen work for a film.TV actors film a lot more scenes, do a lot more shooting, etc than someone in a film production. It's pure, simple math.

Most feature films take far less than 3-4 months to film. Also, 15-20 episodes is 15-20 hours of on-screen work, compared to 2 hours of onscreen work for a film.TV actors film a lot more scenes, do a lot more shooting, etc than someone in a film production. It's pure, simple math.

I'm not going to cry a river for TV actors who have to work 6 months out of the year and make 5-20 million.

I'm not going to cry a river for TV actors who have to work 6 months out of the year and make 5-20 million.

That's great. So you concede that someone who films a season of TV does more work than someone who is part of a film production.

Still, a month of work for a TV actor produces 4-5 hours of usable footage whereas a month of work for a film actor produces 2 hours of usable footage. That's the point I was trying to make.

You're looking at a calendar which is the wrong focus. Producing more hours of footage requires more work, if the two projects take the same amount of time in a calendar, then it follows that the TV actor does more work in the same timeframe than a film actor.

Sharon StoneRemember her ?Julia RobertsAny Hollywood actress passed 30 ... just kiddin ... maybe ...MIckey Rourke before his resurrection as a Zombie in The Walking Dead or was it The Wrestler ?Hilary SwankJoseph FiennesJCVDSteven SeagalStallone before ExpendablesDolph LundgrenMel Gibson ( literally banned from Hollywood, don't thing this happened before ...)Jodie FosterHarrison Ford ( last great movvie nearly 20 years ago !)Eddie Murphy ( last great movie in the eighties)

I think we are losing sight of what the original intent of the thread was. This is about actors that were supposed to be the next thing and it didn't happen. At least that's what I would interpret a "flop" as. Injecting "has beens" into this discussion is tantamount to saying the entire Chris Reeve Superman series was a flop because of Superman IV. Has been actors have had their "15 minutes" of fame, whereas, at least relatively, people like Paul Bettany, Sam Worthington, etc. have had about 1 or none(or benefited from someone else's "15 mins" as Worthington has with Avatar, Terminator and Clash of the Titans).

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 3

I think we are losing sight of what the original intent of the thread was. This is about actors that were supposed to be the next thing and it didn't happen. At least that's what I would interpret a "flop" as. Injecting "has beens" into this discussion is tantamount to saying the entire Chris Reeve Superman series was a flop because of Superman IV. Has been actors have had their "15 minutes" of fame, whereas, at least relatively, people like Paul Bettany, Sam Worthington, etc. have had about 1 or none(or benefited from someone else's "15 mins" as Worthington has with Avatar, Terminator and Clash of the Titans).

Gretchen Moll fits your definition to a T. She was awarded the coveted Vanity Fair cover when she was still a nobody and never got further from that. That was one of most famous VF blunders that is always referenced when they award the cover to very new and very unproven actors.
  • Like 1

This is about actors that were supposed to be the next thing and it didn't happen.

THIS !

If by Next Thing you mean Next Leading Man/Lady than it`s still a long list. Everyone had their 15 minutes of fame but here we filter out those who were hyped as Next _________(insert bone fide star). So deifnitely Orlando Bloom (Next Erroll Flynn :rofl: how could anyone say that with the straight face?), unfortunately Jennifer Garner (they tried to make her the next action heroine and that didn`t work, then next Julia Roberts and that didn`t work either), Josh Hartnett (he was really pushed but to no avail).