Impact

LOTR: The Greatest Trilogy ever?

70 members have voted

1. 1. LOTR: Greatest trilogy ever?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I still perfer Star Wars original trilogy just because of the profound effect it had on my childhood. However Lord of the rings is an exceptional trilogy. Unlike other trilogies that start with one successful movie and expand from there, having a story that was meant to be told in 3 parts and was filmed at the same time, really gave it a cohesiveness that does not exist in other trilogies. Added to that the fact that the Lord of the Rings IS AN AWESOME STORY, and was transferred to the big screen better than I could ever imagine makes it totally kicks ass and easily one of the best trilogies ever.

As a cinematic trilogy it ranks up neck-and-neck with the Star Wars OT.As a literary trilogy it's a landmark piece of fantasy literature but I can't say it's one of the elite series of novels. Great page-turner, but as a novel series it doesn't quite have the heft.

I was talking about the influence of Star Wars over culture in general, not the influence over LOTR. I can't imagine Frodo with a Laser sword ;)

Actually, he did in a way... Frodos sword was made be elves and glowed blue when an Orc came closer...One of the element Lucas borrowed from LOTR and simply put it in another context. ;)

I think you are err....stretching the truth a bit there pinocchio :P Its not like Tolkien didn't have his influences and those influences have influences. Very little is original when you get down to it. But there is no doubt the impact Star Wars had on a generation of film goers. Because of that I think it is somewhat short sighted just to give LOTR the trilogy crown by default. Tis all I'm saying bro ;)

Edited by Phil in the Blank

I think you are err....stretching the truth a bit there pinocchio :P Its not like Tolkien didn't have his influences and those influences have influences. Very little is original when you get down to it. But there is no doubt the impact Star Wars had on a generation of film goers. Because of that I think it is somewhat short sighted just to give LOTR the trilogy crown by default. Tis all I'm saying bro ;)

Well, yes, SW the movies surely had a somehow bigger impact on other moviemakers than LOTR the movies had.

LOTR is definitely my favorite trilogy. And, while I value the impact that Star Wars has had on culture and film, that series has just never really connected with me on a level like LOTR has been able to do.I suppose my second favorite would be the Dollars Trilogy. And, regarding the Toy Story movies, although I very much enjoyed all three of them, it does surprise me that they get ranked together in quality to LOTR, Star Wars OT, or the Dollars Trilogy. And yes, I'm aware of the exceptional amount of praise and love that they get from audiences and critics alike, but I just don't see it. But I suppose there hasn't been many quality trilogies anyways.Also, I'm slightly curious how many people thought of the Back Future series when thinking of greatest trilogy, but I suppose that third one does stop many from wanting to name it. On another note, after The Dark Knight Rises comes out next year, I can't wait to discuss how Nolan's Batman Trilogy ranks against other trilogies.