Impact

LOTR: The Greatest Trilogy ever?

70 members have voted

1. 1. LOTR: Greatest trilogy ever?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

The Encore channel had a marathon over the weekend so I was able to catch each of the movies at some point. It really was amazing what Jackson and Co were able to do.

Ya I watched TTT on encore over the weekend and it was nice to see the entire extended edition with out commercials and completely free.But anyway LOTR is by far my most favorite Trilogy, and while some trilogies(like the bourne trilogy) are great, LOTR is in its own league.

• Founder / Operator

The Encore channel had a marathon over the weekend so I was able to catch each of the movies at some point. It really was amazing what Jackson and Co were able to do.

I noticed they were finally showing the EEs and thought that was pretty cool. I wanted to watch, but I'm holding out for a personal marathon in full HD in a few weeks. :)

Definitely.

I noticed they were finally showing the EEs and thought that was pretty cool. I wanted to watch, but I'm holding out for a personal marathon in full HD in a few weeks. :)

You haven't bought them yet or what? Edited by eggplant

Rather than a trilogy, I like to think of LOTR as one giant 11+ hr film, that had to be split into 3 parts for distribution purposes -- in exactly the same way that LOTR (the book) was considered one story by Tolkien, who begrudgingly allowed his publisher to split into 3 volumes.And my reasoning isn't completely arbitrary -- the 3 films were essentially filmed in one, giant sprawling production. There were interruptions and the post-production happened in pieces, but really it's a single production. And as such, it really is one of the rarities of cinema, modern or otherwise. (Eisenstein had his IVAN THE TERRIBLE planned as 3 films in one production, but never was able to get the resources to finish part 3, and while it's become trendy now to film 2 films in one production, they aren't a single film unrelated to any other movie). There's an integration to FOTR/TTT/ROTK that's unmatched in other trilogies -- it's really more appropriate to think of it as a single movie.

• Like 1

I second that ... LotR is one over-long film, not a trilogy. We never watch, say, only TT - we always watch them back-to-back (maybe split over 2 or 3 days with the EE at home; or in an 11-hour-session at our theatre). It also makes no sense reviewing them piece-wise; my review in the RotK-thread is for the whole project. Of course, from a box-office-perspective it makes sense to count them as a franchise and list the single takings. In reality, the budget and earnings were counted for the whole project (or did anyone believe that each part cost exactly 93 million?)

TTT and ROTK drop this down massively. If I had to pick other trilogies that are better than LOTR:In no particular order:Star Wars OTIndiana JonesThe MatrixTransformersStar Wars NT The Dark Knight TrilogyDie Hard ScreamBack to the FutureBourne SpidermanJust off the top of my head.The problem with LOTR is that it has one truly epic film in FOTR. TTT is fine but saved because of Helms Deep and I don't know what the fuck happened in ROTK as it still hasn't ended some 9 years later. So some of these franchises might have weak films, but LOTR has em too.

• Like 1

The problem with LOTR is that it has one truly epic film in FOTR. TTT is fine but saved because of Helms Deep and I don't know what the fuck happened in ROTK as it still hasn't ended some 9 years later. So some of these franchises might have weak films, but LOTR has em too.

It is interesting and hard to find someone who really prefers FOTR over TTT and ROTK. Most people prefer the other two movies because of big battles, action and epic endings, but I do not find very usually people who prefer the magic of FOTR, the movie that, in mi opinion, really caught the essence of the novel. That is what I am really expecting from The Hobbit.My difference with you is that I really liked TTT and ROTK too, but I agree in your appreciation of FOTR. It is my favorite.
  • Like 2