Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

1,153 posts in this topic

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Writer: Hampton Fancher (Re-write: Michael Green) Idea by: Scott & Fancher

Executive Producer: Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble
Producer(s): Ridley Scott, Broderick Johnson, Andrew Kosgrove, Bud Yorkin and Cynthia Sikes Yorkin
Production Company: Alcon Entertainment

Distributor: Warner Bros.

Starring:

Harrison Ford ... Rick Deckard

Filming: Summer 2016

Full trailer:

In regards to Ford coming back:
Kosgrove

In no way do I speak for Ridley Scott, but if you’re asking me will this movie have anything to do with Harrison Ford, the answer is no. This is a total reinvention, and in my mind that means doing everything fresh, including casting.

_________________________________________________________________________________
NEWS
Ridley Scott Wants Upcoming Blade Runner to be a Sequel to the Original

Ridley Scott to Direct New BLADE RUNNER Movie [updated] [update #2: Possibly Filming in 2013, Ford Unlikely]

Producer Andrew Kosove Says Screenwriter For New 'Blade Runner' Film Will Be Announced Soon, Black List Script 'Prisoners' Still On The Way

BREAKING: Harrison Ford In Early Talks For Ridley Scott's New BLADE RUNNER

‘Blade Runner’ Makers At Alcon Say Harrison Ford Not In Talks To Star

Ridley Scott Open to Harrison Ford Blade Runner Reunion

Blade Runner 2 News: Harrison Ford Returning Would Please Director

Ridley Scott Opens Up About 'Prometheus,' Kick-Ass Women, and 'Blade Runner 2'

Return of the 'Alien' Mind

Original BLADE RUNNER Screenwriter to Pen Sequel for Ridley Scott; Follow-Up Takes Place “Some Years” After First Film

Ridley Scott on His New Movie 'Prometheus,' 'Mad Men' and a 'Blade Runner' Sequel

Is Ridley Scott the most macho man in movies?

Director Ridley Scott Describes a Scene from the BLADE RUNNER Sequel

Sir Ridley Scott Teases PROMETHEUS Sequel...And Ford In BLADE RUNNER Follow-Up!?!?!?!

Ridley Scott Offers Blade Runner Sequel Update

I’m Nexus-7: Sean Young on Jug Face, Catwoman and More

Screenwriter Scott Z. Burns Clarifies His Involvement with Ridley Scott’s New BLADE RUNNER Film

Alcon, Ridley Scott Announce They’ve Hired Michael Green To Script ‘Blade Runner 2′

Ridley Scott On 'Prometheus' And 'Blade Runner' Sequels, And The One Thing He Absolutely Won't Do

BLADE RUNNER 2 Finds A Director; Harrison Ford Will Return As 'Deckard'

Ryan Gosling in Negotiations to Star in ‘Blade Runner’ Sequel

Denis Villeneuve: Blade Runner sequel "not an easy decision"

Prometheus will really tell where this will be headed.

Kosove said it is 'moving forward aggressively in development.'Will have an announcement soon on what the movie will be.

Sometime in the first two months of the new year we'll announce who the screenwriter will be and whether or not it's a prequel or sequel. And then we'll be off to the races.

No one knows whether it'll be a true sequel or simply a story set in the BR universe.I'd actually prefer an original story -- what more can we learn about any of the main characters from BR that would be worthwhile?

1 person likes this

To be honest, i have never actually been THAT keen on Blade Runner. I like the film but very much like 2001, i feel that its beautiful looking but quite slow and boring in parts. I would welcome another one and you can only imagine how amazing the city scenes will look today.

The forward-movie narrative is slight, for the most part. It's more of a sensory experience than a film in some places; really, it's more of a noir piece than anything else, very melancholy and dreamy.

Will Prometheus be a good indicator where this likely end up in box office?

Will Prometheus be a good indicator where this likely end up in box office?

Prometheus will make more for me (depends on the rating for both films i suppose), Blade Runner is very much a cult movie whereas the ALIEN series is much more commercial imo.

I would say 2014. Will get a writer next year.

This would depend on how Prometheus goes. If Prometheus flops, this wont happen.

Edited by vc2002

We will get some presents in the new year regarding Blade Runner and Prisoners; two of Kosove's movies. Another producer, Kinberg is doing very good.

Blade Runner Screenwriter to Be Announced Soon

http://www.movieweb.com/news/blade-runner-screenwriter-to-be-announced-soon

"Sometime in the first two months of the new year we'll announce who the screenwriter will be and whether or not it's a prequel or sequel. And then we'll be off to the races."

When asked if this Untitled Blade Runner Project will be Ridley Scott's next project, Andrew A. Kosove said it is a very high priority for the director.

"Here's the thing about Ridley. Ridley is a special guy. He's a force of nature. He's got a lot of stuff that he's working on. I believe it's an extremely high priority for Ridley, that's what he's said to me. This project is moving forward aggressively in development."

Andrew A. Kosove is also producing the Point Break remake, which was announced back in September. Kurt Wimmer is writing the screenplay, and it seems that they have a director in mind, although the producer wouldn't announce who the filmmaker is yet. Here's what Andrew A. Kosove had to say about the Point Break remake, and how much surfing we will see in this new version.

"This is the thing -- surfing is a part of it, but I will tell you that we believe firmly, in terms of remaking a film like this, we've got to make it fresh. It's not a literal remake of the original the way Footloose was -- it was identical to the original film. [Our Point Break] has got elements of the original and it's not just surfing, it's other kinds of extreme sports, but surfing is very, very prominent in the story. We're out to a director now, so if it were to go in that direction, it'd be a big announcement. We have someone who we think is the perfect filmmaker. I'd be very surprised if we weren't in pre-production in 2012."

No one knows whether it'll be a true sequel or simply a story set in the BR universe.I'd actually prefer an original story -- what more can we learn about any of the main characters from BR that would be worthwhile?

Well, they've already made it pretty clear the cast would be new, which means it can't be a direct sequel.Whatever it is, I cannot wait...and if Prometheus turns out as good as I think...my head might explode from anticipation.