Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

3 hours ago, Travod said:

I found Citizen Kane to be incredibly slow and dull, and the cinematography overrated. Yeah, whatever, "historical significance," I understand, but that doesn't make it amazing by today's standards. Don't @ me

--------

Searched through every legal streaming service and also my TV for any scheduled showings and Blade Runner doesn't appear to exist. Well, I tried.

Those places where you borrow books also have movies, ya know

• Like 1

So, I watched Blade Runner (the Final Cut) and pretty much loved it. There wasn't really a moment during the film that made me think "wow", but it sure did hit me at the end, and I picked up on the pieces throughout. There's a lot to admire and think about. It really hit me when [spoiler for original]:

Spoiler

Roy just "retired"/died and Deckard is sitting and staring at him. There were some other really great moments that stand out for me, that maybe I'll get into another time, because there's a lot to say.

The film is also really beautiful to look at (at least with the re-mastered Final Cut version). And damn, that score, which I was already familiar with, is incredible when used in the film. Really beautiful.

But here's something really interesting to me (again, spoilers for the original): 

Spoiler

The film kind of plays around with whether Deckard is a replicant or not, and in the Final Cut (and I think the Director's Cut too, which I haven't watched), the unicorn dream sequence is included in the film, which means that the unicorn origami left by Gaff at the end of the film seems to imply that Deckard is indeed a replicant, and that Gaff is perhaps aware of Deckard's memories/dreams which have been implanted. But the theatrical version, I have read, does not include the unicorn sequence - and therefore this version wouldn't suggest this. 

The Final Cut also leaves us wondering what will happen to Deckard and Rachael, whereas, from what I've read, the "happy ending" that they tacked onto the theatrical version had shots to indicate they had escaped Los Angeles and drove off into a "natural landscape" (apparently they just used shots from Kubrick's The Shining, which is unreal). And apparently Deckard explains that Rachael doesn't have the built-in four year limit to her lifespan - where does the theatrical version get this from? This ending sounds unappealing to me, and I'm not sure that I even want to watch the theatrical version.

I like that in the Final Cut version we don't really know if Rachael is going to die eventually from the 4-year lifespan limit, or that we assume she will (as per Gaff's "It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" - love this line, it is about so much more than just Rachael). So perhaps Gaff let Rachael live because she's going to die anyway, or maybe there is more to it. We also don't know ultimately what happens to Deckard and Rachael. I'm really interested to see what we learn from the sequel about all of this - I'm assuming Villeneuve and the writers have been working as if The Final Cut is the definitive story/original.

I have watched the trailer for Blade Runner 2049 about a half dozen times, and my reaction has been that it looks really good. I love the look and sound of it. I have been looking forward to this, before having watched the original, primarily because it looks good and because Villeneuve is at the helm. I don't think I would be looking forward to it as much if he wasn't at the helm. One of the (many) reasons Villaneuve's Arrival is so brilliant for me is because it tells an immersive story through visuals and music - a story edited and arranged in such a way that it is more than just the sum of its parts. It sits with you and is thematically rich.

Now that I have watched the original, I can already notice the homages in the trailer for 2049. I'm really interesting in seeing what Villeneuve (et al) will do with the sequel. 

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 8

Also, as others have mentioned, the trailer is terrific because it gives us a glimpse, it tells us just enough, it gives us an idea of the film and especially the feel/style of it. It's a great trailer for a Blade Runner film, as well as for any film because it doesn't give the whole flippin' thing away.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

Opinions may vary.

I would say tainted with Winona.

But now with the double Prometheus/Covenant combo, we re in apostasy/blasphemy territory, which is a serious matter.

-_-

And the Father did it, all by himself.

Edited by The Futurist

Just now, The Futurist said:

Opinions may very.

I would say tainted with Winona.

But now with the double Prometheus/Covenant combo, we re in apostasy/blasphemy territory, which is a serious matter.

-_-

Adn the Father did it, all by himself.

i hear his next project is Thelma and Louise 2: The Other Side of the Canyon.

• Like 1