Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

21 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

But are they looking for Blade Runner? The original only adjusts to 82.9M (92.9M with rereleases), and it's not like Blade Runner is a household name. Among film buffs and sci-fi fans, it is, but to the GA? I highly doubt it. The 160-165 minute runtime sure as shit won't help it either. This won't be as nearly accessible as Interstellar. 

Maybe, maybe not. But it won't help if the producers abandon the serious tone required of this movie and end up with some convoluted mess. 

@Barnack

Considering Arrival's relatively small budget ($47M) it was a big hit. Gravity & Interstellar definitely had spectacle but were definitely not your standard action-packed pop-corn type of sci-fi blockbuster. Same goes for Inception. 

Ex-Machina & Her were very small, almost arthouse films, you can't ask of them to be blockbusters, they did well for what they are. 

In any case, my point is that DV should be given the freedom to craft the film as he pleases, then there's a good chance (far from certain by any means, I accept that) that it will be a hit. If the film is cut by a committee, the danger of failure will rise considerably. 

42 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Ex-Machina & Her were very small, almost arthouse films, you can't ask of them to be blockbusters, they did well for what they are. 

In any case, my point is that DV should be given the freedom to craft the film as he pleases, then there's a good chance (far from certain by any means, I accept that) that it will be a hit. If the film is cut by a committee, the danger of failure will rise considerably. 

They were not a budget range that made it impossible to become large world blockbuster:

Imitation game: 14 million / 233.6 million at the box office

Ex machina: 15 million / 36.9 million

Her: 23 million / 48.8 million

Hidden Figure: 25 million / 229.7 million

The cerebral and art-house look like you point out is probably what made it very hard to just double their budget, would a cerebral / art-house type big budget wide release Blade Runner would show that it was an untouched market... maybe, but we had many really good one that had good coverage and best pictures noms recently and they didn't blowout at all.

Has for DV, certainly and I think that it is the case, it would not surprise me that he has conditional final cut (or the production side) and not the 2 studios that will distribute that are a bit passive distributor into this, from what I understand that movie is financed in large part by a small independent company that had a made a large fortune when they did the movie Blind Side (that movie made around 200 million in profit for them apparently) 

I have been looking forward to this for a while, but the featurette has definitely increased my anticipation levels.

The only thing that irks me about this is Jared Leto. I apologize to the Leto fans out there, but man does he really rub me the wrong way. He makes me feel the opposite of excited, and I wish that wasn't the case.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Ridley Scott seems dead set on demystifying all of his classics.

BLADE RUNNER 2049 WILL REVEAL IF DECKARD IS A REPLICANT

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/blade-runner-2049-will-reveal-if-deckard-is-a-replicant-122

Eh, I think Ridley Scott thinks he knows the film will be "revealing" that Deckard is a replicant "one way or the other", but I feel like it's not going to be quite as cut and dry as he is saying. Scott has strongly insisted that Deckard is a replicant, so we all know his views on this. 

Earlier Villeneuve has said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/blade-runner-2049-is-harrison-fords-deckard-a-replicant-957417

Director Denis Villeneuve reportedly told the French website Allocine in a recent interview that the answer to the question will "not necessarily" be made blatantly obvious in the new film

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/8/15580958/blade-runner-2049-rick-deckard-replicant

When Villeneuve was asked whether or not Blade Runner 2049 would finally answer the question once and for all, the director gave a bit of a wraparound answer. 

“We are still exploring the themes of memories and empathy,” Villeneuve said. “That's still part of the deeper tissue ... of where the movie evolves in relation to what does it mean to be human.”

Villeneuve has also said (I can't remember where I read it/what interview) that he will "address" the mystery (of whether Deckard is a replicant or not), and also that he loves doubts, mystery, shadows, etc.

So, maybe Villeneuve is just being purposefully vague so as to not have to answer the question, but something about his answers tell me that he acknowledges the importance of allowing a film like this to sit in the grey. We may get some "answers", but I suspect there will still be a lot of interesting questions thematically.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

empire%20blade%20runner%20subscribers%20

DEGO6niVYAI12YL.jpg
https://seat42f.com/comic-con-blade-runner-2049-experience-announced.html

Setting the tone, the experience begins as guests enter through a gallery of art from “Blade Runner 2049.” An Oculus VR experience will immerse visitors in the world of the film. But that is just the start: as the VR presentation ends, guests will walk into a neon-lit Los Angeles street scene, where they should be prepared to experience what our potential future holds, including impromptu tests to determine if they are humans…or replicants.

The actual Spinner from the new film will be on display, along with other vehicles featured in the film. Costumes worn by the stars of “Blade Runner 2049” will also be on display, and actors dressed in wardrobe from the film will be amongst the crowd, furthering the sense that guests have stepped into the Los Angeles of the future. There will also be giveaways for fans, along with other surprises.

• Like 3