Captain Craig

Your first exposure to Star Trek: instant fan or had to grow on you

Your first Star Trek experience  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What show or movie was your gateway into Star Trek?

• Star Trek aka TOS, the late 60's original
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series, the mid-70s revival
    • Star Trek TOS movies: Motion Picture through Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek The Next Generation, the late 80s
    • Star Trek Deep Space Nine, early 90's
    • Star Trek Voyager, late 90's
    • Star Trek TNG movies: Generations through Nemesis
    • Star Trek Enterprise, early '00s
    • Star Trek rejuvenation/reimagine '09 film
    • Other (book, action figure etc) please specify

So I first fell for this venerable sci-fi franchise before it was really venerable and while it was still a young franchise. Though I didn't know that at the time.So what was your first exposure to Star Trek. I consider my first exposure to be a somewhat unique one but I'm curious to see others and read their recollections.Early 80s on a young Nickelodeon cable network: Star Trek-The Animated Series produced in the mid-'70s. I was only about 5-6 years old being babysat by my grandparents till my mother, a teacher, could come pick me up in the late afternoon.I know a friend whose first exposure was cause his grandmother got him the TNG action figures from Galoob instead of Star Wars. So that's an option in the poll if you know of an unusual intro like that...or it happened to you also.

My first experience was watching reruns of the OS with my mom. "Shore Leave" was the one I remember most and still get that huge nostalgic feeling when I watch it. "Sleep sweet, Jimmy Boy."I also watched reruns of the 70s animated series as well, but what really got me hooked was Wrath of Khan. That one is eminently more quotable than any other ST film. "You ever heard the old Klingon proverb that revenge is a dish best served cold? It's very cold ....in space!"I've been a "part time" Trekkie/Trekker ever since. I love the movies(even the bad ones) and TNG. Never got into DS9, Voyager or Enterprise as much though. ;)

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™

the wrath of khan for me too! saw all the original films on their tv premiere mostly on HBOstar trek generations was my first trek film at the cinema(have watched all the rest in theatre since), cried because they killed cpt Kirk thinking this would be the end of the films but then found out the new crew we see in the film actually has a trek series called TNG which I saw in bits and pieces in syndication and now I own the dvd boxset.

I do remember being crazy jealous of the people who starred in that documentary "trekky" I was in awe seeing fans not care about showing their love for the show and universe and going to conventions dressed as characters , I had no idea there was such a thing as a fan convention ! this would be on my bucket list of things to do "go to a trek convention dressed in character" maybe if I'm bored one day I might watch ds9 and voyager maybe :)

Edited by ladyevenstar22

It's kinda hard to tell. I knew of Star Trek as a child because it was part of pop culture, and I probably saw a couple of next generation episodes on TV. During the mid-late 90's though my family sat down and watched as many episodes of Star Trek that we could find at our local video store as a family activity thing.

Late 70's, early 80's with the original show the original movie. I wasn't into it as much as say Star Wars, but it grew on me. Not crazy about most of the shows after TNG or the latest movie though.

My Dad used to watch Star Trek on TV (TNG new episodes and TOS reruns) all the time when I was growing up. I was not fan, thought it was geeky and boring. Now I love Star Trek. Though I'm more of a fan of the TV shows. One thing most of the movies miss, is the exploration, and seeking out new life the TV shows made famous.Though I guess that would be boring to movie goers.

My Grandpa used to watch the old Star Trek show on reruns in the mid 90's.

I would watch it with him.

Then I saw him a few years ago watching the old reruns on TV.

He said the pretty white guy and the man with pointy ears are bitter enemies and each episode they try to kill each other and fail.

Instead of explaining how he got the show sooo wrong, I just let the old man be.  :lol:

My 'first contact' was probably with the TOS movies when I was a kid, but what I remember as my 'breakthrough' as a ST fan were the reruns of TNG on a Spanish cable TV network. They always aired an episode before dinner time, and those moments are one of my fondest childhood memories. I probably was about 11-12 years.

I watched all the TOS, TNG stuff with my father, but then I kept growing as a fan, and I got into DS9 and VOY, that I watched on dvds at the public library.

I remember my sisters or dad might catch an episode every now and then, but I really didn't pay any attention to it at all until J.J. Abrams Star Trek came out in 2009. was always more into star wars. but I loved the new star trek and have even seen the first 3 original movies. first was ok. second good. third mah