The Toymaker

Do you want to see James Bond portrayed with a different ethnicity?

Do you want a black James Bond?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a black James Bond?

2. 2. Do you think that a black Bond would make 007 bomb at the box office?

Until just now I thought it was just a few guys on this forum that brought it up, but Naomie Harris has mentioned it too, and Idris Elba met with Barbara Broccoli. Here's what she said:

"I didn’t realize that there was this talk and then I did a film with Idris [Elba] and he said that he met Barbara Broccoli [James Bond producer] and that it does seem like there is a possibility in the future that there could very well be a black James Bond. And I would have to vote for Idris because I just finished working with him and he’s a great guy"

So, do you want a black James Bond? This is not a "would you be angry/happy with a black Bond?" or "are you a racist for saying no to a black Bond?" thread. This is just your personal preference. Do you want to see a black Bond or do you see Bond as a white man..

As the topic has arisen in the media, I'm interested to see how many people would be perfectly happy with a black James Bond.

Edited by Unagi

Yes, why not..

No. I specifically didn't word the thread like that. You're saying the usual "Yes, why wouldn't I want a black Bond? I am not a racist" crap. I didn't ask that.By choosing 'yes' in this poll it means that you want a black James Bond and not a white one. So, Stingray, what makes you want a black Bond ? What do you think a black Bond will bring to the role that a white man can't?

If there is the right actor then I would think having a black Bond would be a fresh step in the franchise.Idris Elba, definitely yes. Don't really know if there's any other suitable black UK actor out there. Chiwetel Ejiofor would give the role some range but he's a little young for the role currently and I'm not sold on him being a credible "action" actor.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

The thing is 007 is part of an agency. This means there are a lot of agents that have the same skillset as him. There could already be a black 005 or 008 or whatever. So having a black Bond to me is not even an issue. I'd welcome it. It's different than say a black actor playing Rocky Balboa or Rambo. Bond doesn't have to be white, imo.

• Like 3

Red was also a white Irishman in the book Shawshank Redepmtion, but Darabont cast Morgan Freeman anyway.Sure he was white when he was written, just like all characters have an ethnicity to them. But in this case, I don't think the colour of his skin adds or subtracts to Bond aura.Having said that, I know that if a famous black movie character was suddenly recast with a white person, I think black people would lose their freakin minds. Imagine if Axel Foley was now played by Mark Wahlberg.

Edited by Halloween baumer
  • Like 1

Red was also a white Irishman in the book Shawshank Redepmtion, but Darabont cast Morgan Freeman anyway.Sure he was white when he was written, just like all characters have an ethnicity to them. But in this case, I don't think the colour of his skin adds or subtracts to Bond aura.

And Red didn't already have 23 movies under his belt as a white man. So that was fine.Of course the colour of his skin adds to the aura that is Bond. He's an English gent, for Christ's sake. English people are not black. The only part of Bond's character that suits the black man is the adultery/casual sex part.

Red was also a white Irishman in the book Shawshank Redepmtion, but Darabont cast Morgan Freeman anyway.Sure he was white when he was written, just like all characters have an ethnicity to them. But in this case, I don't think the colour of his skin adds or subtracts to Bond aura.Having said that, I know that if a famous black movie character was suddenly recast with a white person, I think black people would lose their freakin minds. Imagine if Axel Foley was now played by Mark Wahlberg.

Remember Beverly Hills Cop was written for Stallone, though I don't know if the character's name was Axel Foley.

And Red didn't already have 23 movies under his belt as a white man. So that was fine.Of course the colour of his skin adds to the aura that is Bond. He's an English gent, for Christ's sake. English people are not black. The only part of Bond's character that suits the black man is the adultery/casual sex part.

So there's no blck people in England? :)
  • Like 1

Remember Beverly Hills Cop was written for Stallone, though I don't know if the character's name was Axel Foley.

I'm of course aware of that but my point is Foley is now iconic as a black man.