The Toymaker

Do you want to see James Bond portrayed with a different ethnicity?

Do you want a black James Bond?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a black James Bond?

2. 2. Do you think that a black Bond would make 007 bomb at the box office?

See I heard Craig is closest to the books version of Bond in terms of how the character is portrayed.

Says who? Fleming himself said that Connery was ideal.

Remember Beverly Hills Cop was written for Stallone, though I don't know if the character's name was Axel Foley.

Not written for him. Sly was just one of the early possibilities to play the role. He chose, instead, to play Nick Martinelli. :blink:

So there's no blck people in England? :)

There are, but they are not English. They are either visitors, illegal immigrants, or British. Definitely not English.

This is a similar thing as asking if you would be OK with a black Peter Parker, which I have consistently said no. Not that Elba couldn't do a fine job in the role, but the role is described in the book. That said, there is something inherently more visual in a comic book. So if the filmmakers want to be reverent to the source material, Peter should be white. The black PP in Ultimate Spider-Man comics is NOT PP, he's someone who picked up the mantle after PP "dies". So unless they make the film based on his successor, he should be a caucasion in his late teens/twenties.

Yes, Fleming originally intended him as a white English spy, but the thing is, he created Bond before 1960 when 99% of main characters in British or American books were white. I think things have changed a bit since then. Since the visuals in a book are mostly created by the reader's imagination, I see no reason Bond couldn't be black. However, we do have 50 years of on screen history with him being white, so that could would be an issue. A lot of people might not accept someone of any other race in the role, not just specifically black. So my answer would be the "politically correct" I personally wouldn't mind, but, unfortunately, I think it would hurt grosses.

But it would hurt grosses if they cast a woman, a teen or a guy with a pink mohawk, so it really has more to do with his iconic image than race.

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 3

It still makes me laugh when I hear that Axel Foley was written for Stallone.. :D

Beverly Hills Cop would have been a disaster with Stallone. Not saying Stallone couldn't play the role, but he was famous for two very serious characters and anytime he tried to branch out to comedy it was a misfire(even when that comedy was combined with action).

Beverly Hills Cop would have been a disaster with Stallone. Not saying Stallone couldn't play the role, but he was famous for two very serious characters and anytime he tried to branch out to comedy it was a misfire(even when that comedy was combined with action).

It wasn't a comedic role. It was a fairly straight laced cop film with him trying to solve a mystery as to why his best friend was murdered. When he passed on it, Stallone recommended Murphy because of some of the comedic elements to the film. Once Murphy came on board, it became a flat out comedy due to the fact that Murphy improvised a lot of the humour.

Normally I'd be the first to say: "Not true to the source material!!!", but really, there's been 23 movies with a white Bond. It doesn't matter to me at this point. I'm all for it (as long as it's someone as boss as Elba).

Says who? Fleming himself said that Connery was ideal.Not written for him. Sly was just one of the early possibilities to play the role. He chose, instead, to play Nick Martinelli. :blink:There are, but they are not English. They are either visitors, illegal immigrants, or British. Definitely not English.

The are legal and many were born in England. Especially London which consider one of the most diverse cities in the world.

I don't care if the person is black, white, asian, or purple. If he fits the part and is British, I am game.

I don't think a purple person would fit the role...just saying.
  • Like 1

Yes, They should get Idriss Elba. He is also British so it is not that far of a jump. He is also a badass as he was in films like Prometheus, Thor, especially in tv miniseries, Luther. If there is any black actor that could do it, it would be him!

I don't think a purple person would fit the role...just saying.

Stop being so racist. Purple people are just as equal as you and me.I personally think James Bond as anyone. I think of the name James Bond as a fake name. No spy would be on a mission given out his real name. "Hey you are terrorist but let tell my name, Bond... James Bond." Spies are not even suppose to tell there families they work for an intelligent agency but a spy would tell a terrorist his real name.
  • Like 1

Stop being so racist. Purple people are just as equal as you and me.I personally think James Bond as anyone. I think of the name James Bond as a fake name. No spy would be on a mission given out his real name. "Hey you are terrorist but let tell my name, Bond... James Bond." Spies are not even suppose to tell there families they work for an intelligent agency but a spy would tell a terrorist his real name.

It is NOT racist to want a character who is supposed to be white to be white.

They need to set this up a little more. The next Bond should be played by Michael Fassbender, directed by Matthew Vaughn with a screenplay by Tarantino that reveals James Bond is actually a codename and there have been six different men who have assumed the role of 007. Each time one dies or retires a new agent assumes the mantle. This would pave the way for cameos from previous Bonds and, eventually, a black actor playing the role. I see Chiwetel Ejiofor in the role.So, yes.

• Like 1