Sunshine, Light, and Joy

 

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

#ED

Star Wars: The Last Jedi | December 15, 2017 | Teaser Trailer Out OMG (pg152)

4,357 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Would make a lot of sense if the next trailer was released at D23/Comic Con (back to back weekends in mid-July).

 

 

I'd be surprised if they did. Generally, it seems like they prefer to release the trailers when nothing else major, movie wise, is going on or being announced. It allows the trailer to dominate social media and such for a couple of weeks or so. 

 

I could see some type of BTS video, maybe

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

 

 

I'd be surprised if they did. Generally, it seems like they prefer to release the trailers when nothing else major, movie wise, is going on or being announced. It allows the trailer to dominate social media and such for a couple of weeks or so. 

 

I could see some type of BTS video, maybe

True. But I expect to see another trailer next month or August. Just looking at upcoming events those make the most sense, although they could do something on GMA or something like that.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expect multiple think pieces about anxiety over Episode IX and urging Disney to replace Trevorrow after the critical pasting his new film is getting.  Voices of skepticism about the choice are only going to grow louder, I suspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Expect multiple think pieces about anxiety over Episode IX and urging Disney to replace Trevorrow after the critical pasting his new film is getting.  Voices of skepticism about the choice are only going to grow louder, I suspect.

 

I'm pretty sure they'd have critical think pieces about the anxiety of Episode IX if they changed catering companies. It's all just noise in the wind, and they were so sure about Rogue One.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I am guesssing D23. 

I agree. Easier to stick out in the crowd there (as opposed to Comic-Con), especially since the big news from the theme park side will be about Star Wars Land at DL and WDW anyways.

Edited by Jayhawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dbot1800 said:

Another sign pointing to a new trailer coming soon (probably still around Comic Con).

 

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/star-wars-last-jedi-filmtrailer-1

It's just a shorter version of the first trailer. Not new.

 

Expect BTS reel like with TFA and Rogue One in July at SDCC/D23, trailer probably in October like TFA....

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Raises right hand*

 

"I swear I will not watch any more Last Jedi trailers, so help me The Force."

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2017 at 3:05 PM, Jayhawk said:

True. But I expect to see another trailer next month or August. Just looking at upcoming events those make the most sense, although they could do something on GMA or something like that.

 

On 6/20/2017 at 1:49 PM, Dbot1800 said:

Another sign pointing to a new trailer coming soon (probably still around Comic Con).

 

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/star-wars-last-jedi-filmtrailer-1

 

On 6/20/2017 at 2:37 PM, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I am guesssing D23. 

 

On 6/20/2017 at 3:40 PM, antovolk said:

It's just a shorter version of the first trailer. Not new.

 

Expect BTS reel like with TFA and Rogue One in July at SDCC/D23, trailer probably in October like TFA....

 

It's most likely going to be released online in July, probably at the D23 Expo event or at the San Diego Comic-Con. And even though it's expected to be a shorter version of the trailer already released online, I expect that it will have some new snippets of footage that wasn't in the previous trailer.

Edited by Sean B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do some people think that this trailer is just a shorter version of the already existing one?

 

That simply makes no sense. There is nothing to be gained by releasing a trailer that shows nothing new, and in fact shows even less than the last one. This is even more true when you consider that recent news about Star Wars have been rather negative, and they need something to create some excitement again, which certainly doesn't happen by releasing an old trailer again. If anything, this would lead to a backlash.

 

I haven't seen anything that would suggest that these two trailers are the same. The only thing we know is the trailer classification in the UK, that's it. This being trailer B doesn't say anything about how similar it is to the first one. TFA also had trailer A and B, and they had nothing in common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sean B said:

 

 

 

 

It's most likely going to be released online in July, probably at the D23 Expo event or at the San Diego Comic-Con. And even though it's expected to be a shorter version of the trailer already released online, I expect that it will have some new snippets of footage that wasn't in the previous trailer.

 

No, it's a new trailer. I can't explain but people who know how classification works says it's a new thing, not an abbreviated teaser. Also, they have no reason to just show shorter version of the teaser whose reception was somewhat muted (it didn't upstage other trailers released at the same time, in fact, Thor 3 stole it's thunder).

 

I'm certain it'll be in July cause they have to bounce back from Han Solo fiasco and can't focus on that movie now. So TLJ focus would be the quickest remedy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

 

No, it's a new trailer. I can't explain but people who know how classification works says it's a new thing, not an abbreviated teaser. Also, they have no reason to just show shorter version of the teaser whose reception was somewhat muted (it didn't upstage other trailers released at the same time, in fact, Thor 3 stole it's thunder).

 

I'm certain it'll be in July cause they have to bounce back from Han Solo fiasco and can't focus on that movie now. So TLJ focus would be the quickest remedy. 

 

I hope this wording was intentional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, George Parr said:

Why do some people think that this trailer is just a shorter version of the already existing one?

 

That simply makes no sense. There is nothing to be gained by releasing a trailer that shows nothing new, and in fact shows even less than the last one. This is even more true when you consider that recent news about Star Wars have been rather negative, and they need something to create some excitement again, which certainly doesn't happen by releasing an old trailer again. If anything, this would lead to a backlash.

 

I haven't seen anything that would suggest that these two trailers are the same. The only thing we know is the trailer classification in the UK, that's it. This being trailer B doesn't say anything about how similar it is to the first one. TFA also had trailer A and B, and they had nothing in common.

Because this happens ALL THE TIME with 2min+ trailers - these are shorter versions just for cinemas. These are hardly ever released online.

 

25 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

 

No, it's a new trailer. I can't explain but people who know how classification works says it's a new thing, not an abbreviated teaser. Also, they have no reason to just show shorter version of the teaser whose reception was somewhat muted (it didn't upstage other trailers released at the same time, in fact, Thor 3 stole it's thunder).

 

I'm certain it'll be in July cause they have to bounce back from Han Solo fiasco and can't focus on that movie now. So TLJ focus would be the quickest remedy. 

I'm 90+% confident that it's a cutdown of trailer A and not new. It's just for cinemas, not released online, and again happens all the time with 2min+ trailers. There's zero reason for the next new TLJ trailer to actually be shorter than the previous one. And this "Trailer B" is exactly 90 seconds long....

Edited by antovolk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, aabattery said:

 

I hope this wording was intentional.

 

Pun indeed intended! :D

 

@antovolk 

 

Image result for luke that's impossible gif

Edited by Valonqar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

 

Pun indeed intended! :D

 

@antovolk 

 

Image result for luke that's impossible gif

tenor.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, antovolk said:

tenor.gif

 

I searched them and they say it's a brand new trailer! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.