baumer

Cell (Stephen King)

I've read this book and I actually quite enjoy a lot of it.  To capture the feel and suspense of a zombie scenario in text is kind of hard for most authors, but Stephen King is good at playing suspense and tension (and human behaviour).  It has an interesting take on the 'zombie/not-quite-zombie" scenario but it does derail slightly toward the end and kind of gets into WTF territory.  It also has an ambiguous cut-off ending which is something King seems to like a lot in his work  (ambiguous endings have become more common in movies lately though, which is probably why they changed the ending of The Mist, so I'm not sure what they'll do with this one.

Cautiously optimistic, but Stephen King horror adaptations tend to be more miss than hit.

Now just awaiting word on a new IT adaptation... a 6 hour miniseries would probably work better for that than a movie though.

This movie is supposedly complete.  The original release date (and the one still on most documents) was simply 2014.  I haven't heard a thing about when it's coming out though... it seems odd to have gotten no trailers or anything considering how close we are to the end of the year.

Seems like I've seen John Cusack in a ton of smaller movies and roles the past year or two. What's up with that?

A couple of box office flops have left him desperate for roles.

Apparently he'll choose any script that comes his way now, no matter how bad it may be.

Edited by Pokearcher

A couple of box office flops have left him desperate for roles.

Apparently he'll choose any script that comes his way now, no matter how bad it may be.

Well, Stephen King co-wrote this one so I'm hoping it's a fairly faithful adaptation, at least.

Looks cheesy as hell although the second half of the trailer is much better for some reason. Still, I'm totally watching it as this is the book that got me into Stephen King to begin with and I have good memories of reading it. Plus to this day it's one of the few zombie-sh works(be it books, movies or tv shows) I can stand. It helps that they aren't really zombies though as you can see in the trailer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Smart phones turnes everyone into a zombie blah blah blah.

I bet every person involved in the writing, directing and production of this flick owns a smart phone and uses it frequently.

The book was published in 2006, were there smartphones out there back then?

I get your point though but blame it on Stephen King.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

TOMATOMETER

Holy crap, look at that average rating! :rofl:

Apparently it's as cheesy as the trailer and they couldn't even rise above your average crappy zombie movie, which is weird considering that they aren't really zombies in the book. I guess it was always tough to translate this to a movie in a satisfying way because the book is weird as hell but crap, they should have been able to do better than this, specially after 1408 with the same leads! What a damn shame, the book was fun. I even thought Cusack's casting was perfect. Oh well.

This review though:

The Happening' with phones.

Full Review… | July 1, 2016
v1.YzsyNDQ4O2c7MTcwMTA7MTIwMDszODs0Mg
Time Out
Top Critic

:jeb!:

• Like 1

I watched it. 

Um, yea, the less said the better lol

It was pretty bad and I honestly have no idea what exactly happened at the end. 

Was it an experiment gone wrong? Was it aliens? Did I miss something? Do I care? Lol

• Like 1