The Stingray

The Avengers Vs. The Dark Knight Rises. MY breakdown.

TA Vs. TDKR.  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like more?

• The Avengers
    • The Dark Knight Rises

Let the :flamewar: begin.

Here is my breakdown:

Acting

TA - 8

TDKR - 9

Action

TA - 8

TDKR - 8

Ambition

TA - 8

TDKR - 10

Cinematography

TA - 7

TDKR - 9

Dialogue

TA - 9

TDKR - 8

Emotion

TA - 5

TDKR - 9

Humor

TA - 10

TDKR - 5

Score

TA - 6

TDKR - 9

Script

TA - 9

TDKR - 8

Villains

TA - 7

TDKR - 10

TOTAL

TA - 77/100

TDKR - 85/100

WINNER --> The Dark Knight Rises

Posted Image

Edited by Don Niam The Stingray
  • Like 2

I'm doing all I can Don to keep from laughing at the perfect 10 score you gave the villain in TDKR when 95% of the movie, you could barely make out a word he said.. In short, he came off like a drunken Sean Connery.. :lol:

Your English must be very poor. I understood every word, and English is not even my first language.
  • Like 1

Acting

TA - 9

TDKR - 9

Hard to split, both had stand out performances in this respect.

Action

TA - 9

TDKR - 8

I edge it to TA because even though both films have slowe starts, I remember the open 30 mins of TDKR being dull unlike with TA where it is forgotton.

Ambition

TA - 10

TDKR - 10

Both perfect scores for different reasons. TDKR for what happens in the film, TA for existing in the first place.

Cinematography

TA - 9

TDKR - 9

Not an expert in this so give both 9 and move on :)

Dialogue

TA - 10

TDKR - 7

TDKR felt a little preachy in place and as a person with a hearing defect, I had to read the KOrean Subtitles to follow what he said at times.

TA had exactly what a blockbuster action film should have and the one liners were great.

Emotion

TA - 5

TDKR - 9

TA wasn't really built for emotion, that will be something to judge better in TA3 when potentially somer Avengers could get killed off in a final final battle.

TDKR has Michael Caine, that just means it wins.

Humor

TA - 10

TDKR - 3

One is a semi-comedy, the other isn't. End of there.

Score

TA - 7

TDKR - 7

Didn't notice memorable music in either.

Script

TA - 9

TDKR - 7

Again back to the preachy vs fun aspect.

Villains

TA - 7

TDKR - 6

The legitimacy of the villain in TDKR was destroyed in the final third for me and never really existed in TA to begin with. TA was never about the villains though, that's again something for the sequels.

TOTAL

TA - 85/100

TDKR - 75/100

• Like 1

ActingTA: 9TDKR: 9ActionTA: 9TDKR: 9AmbitionTA: 8TDKR: 9 (loses a point as it didn't leave ambiguity for Bruce's 'death')CinematographyTA: 7TDKR: 8DialogueTA: 9TDKR: 9EmotionTA: 6TDKR: 9HumorTA: 9TDKR: 7ScoreTA: 9TDKR: 8 Avengers main theme is so damn good it batters TDKR's whole scoreScriptTA: 8TDKR: 9VillainsTA: 7TDKR: 9TOTAL:The Avengers: 81The Dark Knight Rises: 86

• Like 2

I don't care which movie was better but saying the score for TA was better than TDKR is like saying the humor in TDKR is better.TDKR score will probably be the only thing to get nominated by the academy.Don't forget to rank the top 10 comic book movies guys!

I don't care which movie was better but saying the score for TA was better than TDKR is like saying the humor in TDKR is better.TDKR score will probably be the only thing to get nominated by the academy.Don't forget to rank the top 10 comic book movies guys!

Outside of the opening plane sequence the score was just a rehash of TDK and not particularly memorable to be honest. Not saying that the entirety of TA's score was better, but the main theme is one of my all time favourites.

Outside of the opening plane sequence the score was just a rehash of TDK and not particularly memorable to be honest. Not saying that the entirety of TA's score was better, but the main theme is one of my all time favourites.

Not entirely true. Catwoman and Bane both had themes, and personally I thought they were both better than any of the forgettable music in Avengers. I do agree that they repeated a lot of music in TDKR. That's similar to what they did with TDK compared to BB too. I wish they put more effort into the sequels for the scores, but it is still good music overall. I did think the use of "A Dark Knight" when Bruce comes back to see Selina was very well done. That piece of music is probably the best music in TDK and they picked a great moment to use it in TDKR.
  • Like 2

Acting

TA - 7

TDKR - 9

Action

TA - 9

TDKR - 7

Ambition

TA - 9

TDKR - 9

Cinematography

TA - 6

TDKR - 9

Dialogue

TA - 10

TDKR - 6

Emotion

TA - 6

TDKR - 9

Humor

TA - 10

TDKR - 4

Score

TA - 8

TDKR - 7

Script

TA - 10

TDKR - 9

Villains

TA - 9

TDKR - 9

TOTAL

TA - 84/100

TDKR - 78/100

WINNER --> The Avengers

• Like 2

I haven't seen the TDKR, and probably won't for a long time. The Avengers was enjoyable but ultimately really forgettable in the long run and I don't intend on watching it again unless I catch it on TV by accident or something. 7/10I'm so over the superhero genre all together.

• Like 1

Acting

TA - 9

TDKR - 9

Action

TA - 10

TDKR - 7

Ambition

TA - 9

TDKR - 9

Cinematography

TA - 1 (one of worst parts about the movie)

TDKR - 9

Dialogue

TA - 8

TDKR - 8

Emotion

TA - 2 (the movie was suppose to have emotion so no big deal here)

TDKR - 8

Humor

TA - 5

TDKR - 2

Score

TA - 3

TDKR - 7

Script

TA - 9

TDKR - 8

Villains

TA - 8

TDKR - 9

Avengers 64

The Dark Knight Rises 76

• Like 1

Acting: let's put it this way, the acting in TA is superficial.

TA - 7.0

Robert Downey Jr.: the only really good here (10)

Tom Hiddleston: good, nothing exceptional (7.5)

Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth: perfect for their roles, but they aren't good actors in the movie (7.0)

Jeremy Renner: not bad, but not good either (6.0)

Scarlett Johansson: LOL at her acting, TOTALLY OSCAR WORTHY (4.5)

Samuel L. Jackson: very stereotyped too me (3.0)

Stellan Skarsgård and Cobie Smulders: just bad (1.5)

TDKR - 9.0

Christian Bale: the best batman and Bale's best performace in the trilogy, but nothing out of this world (7.5)

Michael Caine: the best actor in the movie (9.5)

Anne Hathaway: A realistic catwoman, just perfect (9.5)

Tom Hardy: even with the mask, I could sense the fear and triumph in his face. (9.0)

Marion Cotillard: the acting wasn't so bad like some guys are saying (6.0)

Joseph Gordon-Levitt: really good performace (8.0)

Morgan Freeman: less is more (9.0)

Action: matter of taste here

TA - 8

Explosions and destruction type of action: very well made, BUUUT no real danger.

TDKR - 10

Again, less in more. I felt a real danger here, the fights are awesome and the chase is the PERFECTION itself.

Ambition

TA - 7

They tried something big (in scope) and never done before (group of superheroes) but come on, the movie appeals to the masses and this isn't really ambitious

TDKR - 8.5

They tried something epic and dark (done before, in TDK). Even if done before, a dark superhero is more ambitious than a lighthearted fun.

Cinematography

TA - 5.0

TDKR - 9.5

Dialogue

TA - 9.5

Some great lines

TDKR - 7.5

flat

Emotion

A movie that has emotion, has everything

TA - 2.5

TDKR - 11

Humor

TA - 9.5 - great humor, 85% thanks to Robert Downey Jr.

TDKR - 6.0

Score

TA - 7

Amazing theme but too extensively used, lacks of diversification.

TDKR - 10

PERFECT MIX of previous the previous scores and some new amazing stuff (like Gotham's Reckoning)

Script

TA - 6

TDKR - 8.5

Villains

Please guys, this isn't a fair fight.

TA: 6.5

TDKR: 9.5

Total

TDKR - 90

TA - 67

TA is a fun blockbuster, passable and forgettable. TDKR is something more....

Edited by Goffe Bond
  • Like 2

Acting

TA-7/10

they were good for their roles but no outstanding performances.

TDKR-9/10

dropped a point because i agree Marion Contillard was a weak link.

Action

TA-9/10

Good fun action all round. nothing that hasnt been seen before as it was all CGI.

TDKR-9/10

less cgi more stunt etc. Loved it. Bane/Batman fight one of the best and intense fight scenes ever. Would have liked to see more of catwoman though.

Ambition

TA-9/10

Did something never done before and succeeded.

TDKR-9/10

Instead of trying to top TDK it took another route and made the threat bigger.

Cinematography

TA-7/10

Nothing spectacular except for the circle shot. But that was predictable and has been done before.

TDKR-10/10

One of the best cinematographers working today did it.

Dialogue

TA-8/10

Good witty dialogue with enough humour to lighten the atmosphere.

TDKR 9/10

Bane had some of the most memorable lines in recent memory. 'ahh you think darkness is your ally...' etc.

Emotion

TA-6/10

Good movie but i did not feel very invested in the movie to care for the characters much. Just didnt seem like they were facing such a big threat. The atmosphere being too lighthearted may have hindered it.

TDKR-9/10

Threat seemed real and you felt for the characters. Micheal Caine really brings you to the brink with his crying at the end. And the last glimse of batman flying with the bomb. many emotional scenes.

Humour

TA-9/10

You cant get better than the hulk and loki scene

TDKR-6/10

Wasnt meant to be very funny. Though catwoman did come out with some light hearted witty remarks as per the character.

Score

TA-7/10

Score was good but underwhelming and the main theme is nothing wow or memorable.

TDKR-9/10

im a big fan of the score for this trilogy. Like the new themes used for bane and catwoman etc. Gothams reckoning is really scary and really brings out the audiences fear of bane.

Script

TA-8/10

Good script but too light hearted.

TDKR-9/10

Hint of humour in a dark movie. pulled of brilliantly while keeping the threat intact.

Villains

TA-6/10

Sorry as much as i like loki, him or the chitauri were not very convincingly evil or terrifying. But i understand more screen time was given to the heroes to show them gelling hence the villains took a back seat in this one. Hope fully Thanos changes that in the next one.

TDKR-10/10

One of the best villains ever.Period.

TA Total= 76

TDKR Total- 89

Edited by Omario
  • Like 2

Acting

TA - 8

TDKR - 9

Action

TA - 10

TDKR - 8

Ambition

TA - 10

TDKR - 10

Cinematography

TA - 8

TDKR - 8

Dialogue

TA - 10

TDKR - 8

Emotion

TA - 7

TDKR - 8

Humor

TA - 10 (The humor does wear off a bit, but the first couple of times was hilarious)

TDKR - 3 (almost non-existent; I watched the movie at a sold out IMAX and the crowd was deathly silent throughout most of the movie, was a very strange movie experience for me)

Score

TA - 7

TDKR - 10 (absolutely loved the score, my favorite part of the movie)

Script

TA - 9

TDKR - 8

Villains

TA - 6

TDKR - 8 (would have been a 10 except they screwed up the ending with Bane)

Total:

TA: 85

TDKR: 80

Thoroughly enjoyed both movies!

• Like 1