The Stingray

The Avengers Vs. The Dark Knight Rises. MY breakdown.

TA Vs. TDKR.  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like more?

• The Avengers
    • The Dark Knight Rises

So members of Box office theory vote TDKR. The rest of the planet vote The Avengers :)

I guess that means that members of Box Office Theory know what a good actually movie looks like^^. Edited by ChD
  • Like 3

I'm doing all I can Don to keep from laughing at the perfect 10 score you gave the villain in TDKR when 95% of the movie, you could barely make out a word he said.. In short, he came off like a drunken Sean Connery.. :lol:

don't dis Bane! He was AWESOME!

Acting

TDKR - 7.5/10 - knocked down a half a point because of Cottliard death scene

Avengers - 6/10 - up a point because of Loki

Action

Avengers - 8/10 - New York City fight

TDKR - 6.5/10 - Batman and Bane fights

Ambition

Avengers - 10/10 - Culmination of solo movies, never been attempted

TDKR - 10/10 - Raised the stakes to one of the greatest comic book movies ever made

Cinematography

Avengers - 4.5/10 - Other then team up pose nothing else of note

TDKR - 9/10 - Too many iconic scenes to list

Dialogue

Avengers - 5/10 - Meh, again other then Loi's interactions with the Avengers nothing more of note

TDKR - 9/10 -Catwoman, Bane, Batman. Pwnage.

Emotion

Avengers - 3/10 - Never really got invested in Iron Man's supposed arc

TDKR - 10/10 - Too easy.

Humor

Avengers - 7.5/10 - Avengers wins easily here

TDKR - 3/10 - Not really a lot there

Score

Avengers - 3/10 - There was a score?

TDKR - 10/10 - Up there with TDK as one of best scores of all time

Script

Avengers - 5/10 - Interesting dynamic getting heros together but no emotional payoff

TDKR - 9/10 - Clunkier then TDKR but packs the emotional punch

Villians

Avengers - 8/10 - I liked Loki but never really felt he was a genuine threat to Avengers

TDKR - 10/10 - Bane was smart and strong. A lethal combination. And oh yeah he had help too.

Total

TDKR - 84/100

Avengers - 60/100

TDKR in a blowout.

Edited by JackO
  • Like 2

I don't break down the individual elements the way a lot of the posters in this thread are doing. It's just not the way I watch or rank movies.I found the acting in TA better because no one seems more perfectly suited for their character than RDJ as Iron Man. I also loved the way Scar Jo performed as The black Widow. Samuel L. Jackson once again did a great job. I didn't feel that TDKR had any performers who stood out as their characters the way Ledger did as The Joker in TDK.As for the score, I liked the TA score better. Silvestri is very under-rated. I am waiting for him to finally get his due. The Captain America theme music is great and it's the best theme music out of both movies. As much as I don't like Batman '89, I felt that the score was more memorable than BB-TDK-TDKR.As for the writing, they're even to me. While TA had perfectly written witty lines and dialogue, TDKR had well written dialogue as well. Especially the way Alfred interacted with Bruce Wayne.Emotionally, I was invested equally in both movies.I liked the cinematography better in TA. I felt that there were more memorable shots and more epic shots.That's pretty much as far in depth of a breakdown as I can do for a movie. Going into any firther analysis seems pointless to me. Obviously, I loved TA. It was the best superhero movie that I have personally seen. TDKR is a great movie on its own. However, when compared to other great movies, it doesn't do as well. In conclusion, my vote goes to TA.

• Like 1

The multiplier was pretty damn good for such a big opener.

Yes it was just crawled to x3, does not mean it was more liked by the rest of the planet. It was something new that intrigued the general public, i for one never expected it to do what it did.

Yes it was just crawled to x3, does not mean it was more liked by the rest of the planet. It was something new that intrigued the general public, i for one never expected it to do what it did.

Well the rest of the planet seemed more interested in this than TDKR, oh and I had edited my previous post.

Acting

TA-7/10

they were good for their roles but no outstanding performances.

TDKR-9/10

dropped a point because i agree Marion Contillard was a weak link.

Action

TA-9/10

Good fun action all round. nothing that hasnt been seen before as it was all CGI.

TDKR-9/10

less cgi more stunt etc. Loved it. Bane/Batman fight one of the best and intense fight scenes ever. Would have liked to see more of catwoman though.

Ambition

TA-9/10

Did something never done before and succeeded.

TDKR-9/10

Instead of trying to top TDK it took another route and made the threat bigger.

Cinematography

TA-7/10

Nothing spectacular except for the circle shot. But that was predictable and has been done before.

TDKR-10/10

One of the best cinematographers working today did it.

Dialogue

TA-8/10

Good witty dialogue with enough humour to lighten the atmosphere.

TDKR 9/10

Bane had some of the most memorable lines in recent memory. 'ahh you think darkness is your ally...' etc.

Emotion

TA-6/10

Good movie but i did not feel very invested in the movie to care for the characters much. Just didnt seem like they were facing such a big threat. The atmosphere being too lighthearted may have hindered it.

TDKR-9/10

Threat seemed real and you felt for the characters. Micheal Caine really brings you to the brink with his crying at the end. And the last glimse of batman flying with the bomb. many emotional scenes.

Humour

TA-9/10

You cant get better than the hulk and loki scene

TDKR-6/10

Wasnt meant to be very funny. Though catwoman did come out with some light hearted witty remarks as per the character.

Score

TA-7/10

Score was good but underwhelming and the main theme is nothing wow or memorable.

TDKR-9/10

im a big fan of the score for this trilogy. Like the new themes used for bane and catwoman etc. Gothams reckoning is really scary and really brings out the audiences fear of bane.

Script

TA-8/10

Good script but too light hearted.

TDKR-9/10

Hint of humour in a dark movie. pulled of brilliantly while keeping the threat intact.

Villains

TA-6/10

Sorry as much as i like loki, him or the chitauri were not very convincingly evil or terrifying. But i understand more screen time was given to the heroes to show them gelling hence the villains took a back seat in this one. Hope fully Thanos changes that in the next one.

TDKR-10/10

One of the best villains ever.Period.

TA Total= 76

TDKR Total- 89

This is pretty much exactly how I feel with one exception. The villains. I would bring it down to an 8 because Bane went from being the ultimate badass and then downgraded to a side note. Other than that, in my opinion, your assessment was spot on.
  • Like 1

Or not :)

or yesRT:TDKR: 8.0 (7.9 from top critic)TA: 8.0 (7.8 from top critic)IMDBTDKR: 8.8 (49,2% of the votes are 10)TA: 8.4 (38,2 of the votes are 10)MetacriticTDKR: 78TA: 69Metacritic UsersTDKR: 86TA: 81Boxoffice Forum (here)TDKR: 70,645 of the votes are 10TA: 62,79% of the votes are 10stop talking shit please? ^_^ Edited by Goffe Bond
  • Like 2

The multiplier, Cinema score, reactions, critics, just to name a few.

You don't know how the box office works, do you?

First: the multiplier of TDKR isn't too far behind

TA multiplier: 3,00

TDKR multiplier: 2,79

Second: Let me ask you a question:

Which movie will have the best multiplier: A lighthearted fun and unexpected to surprise or a dark and serious movie, most anticipated movie of the past few years, the sequel to the best reviewed superhero movie and finally, the tragedy that happened in the OW.

Cinemascore, TDKR has a A and TA has A+ big difference!

The sequel factor could led TDKR to a possible "disappointment" and yet the difference is minimal

from the critics and average people, just look my post above ;)

Edited by Goffe Bond

or yes

RT:

TDKR: 8.0 (7.9 from top critic)

TA: 8.0 (7.8 from top critic)

IMDB

TDKR: 8.8 (49,2% of the votes are 10)

TA: 8.4 (38,2 of the votes are 10)

Metacritic

TDKR: 78

TA: 69

Metacritic Users

TDKR: 86

TA: 81

Boxoffice Forum (here)

TDKR: 70,645 of the votes are 10

TA: 62,79% of the votes are 10

stop talking shit please? ^_^

Cinemascore

TDKR - A

The Avengers - A+

Multiplier

TDKR - 2.78

The Avengers - 3

RT score

TDKR - 92%

The Avengers - 87%

Domestic gross

TDKR - $447,509,207

The Avengers - $623,357,910

Overseas

TDKR - $630,800,000

The Avengers - $888,400,000

Worldwide

TDKR - $1.078,349,207

The Avengers - $1,511,757,910

The numbers speak for themselves :), nice try though...

Cinemascore

TDKR - A

The Avengers - A+

Multiplier

TDKR - 2.78

The Avengers - 3

RT score

TDKR - 92%

The Avengers - 87%

Domestic gross

TDKR - $447,509,207

Overseas

TDKR - $630,800,000

Worldwide

TDKR - $1.078,349,207

Wrong way round :D:P

Cinemascore

TDKR - A

The Avengers - A+

Multiplier

TDKR - 2.78

The Avengers - 3

RT score

TDKR - 92%

The Avengers - 87%

Domestic gross

TDKR - $447,509,207

Overseas

TDKR - $630,800,000

Worldwide

TDKR - $1.078,349,207

Ok, TA was a fresh new thing, lighthearted fun, never tried before that only grossed 500 million more because of the 3D. TDKR in other hand....

I gave the average score and you gave me the approval percentage, let's puts this way:

The critics liked TA more, in a average way.

And the critics who liked TDKR, liked more.

Edited by Goffe Bond