The Stingray

The Avengers Vs. The Dark Knight Rises. MY breakdown.

TA Vs. TDKR.  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like more?

• The Avengers
    • The Dark Knight Rises

You don't know how the box office works, do you?

First: the multiplier of TDKR isn't too far behind

TA multiplier: 3,00

TDKR multiplier: 2,79

Second: Let me ask you a question:

Which movie will have the best multiplier: A lighthearted fun and unexpected to surprise or a dark and serious movie, most anticipated movie of the past few years, the sequel to the best reviewed superhero movie and finally, the tragedy that happened in the OW.

Well TDK was a 'dark and serious' movie, that still obtained a 3* multiplier and opened practically identical. Surely if the shootings effected the OW, then it would help its multiplier seeing as its OW was lowered?? It seems you know nothing about box office :')

Cinemascore, TDKR has a A and TA has A+ big difference!

The sequel factor could led TDKR to a possible "disappointment" and yet the difference is minimal

Bit it's not minimal, had TDKR had a multiplier of 3, it would have earned over $480m, that's a big difference.

from the critics and average people, just look my post above ;)

what this one?

Cinemascore, TDKR has a A and TA has A+

Yeah that pretty much shows what the average people thought :) and the box office of course.
  • Like 2

Ok, TA was a fresh new thing, lighthearted fun, never tried before that only grossed 500 million more because of the 3D. TDKR in other hand....I gave the average score and you gave me the approval percentage, let's puts this way:The critics liked TA more, in a average way.And the critics who liked TDKR, liked more.

500m more because of 3D?? And I know nothing about box office? Lol. Your just making up shit now and it just shows how desperate you are. Your fighting a losing battle, its like me saying TDKR earned 400m because of IMAX Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

or yesRT:TDKR: 8.0 (7.9 from top critic)TA: 8.0 (7.8 from top critic)IMDBTDKR: 8.8 (49,2% of the votes are 10)TA: 8.4 (38,2 of the votes are 10)MetacriticTDKR: 78TA: 69Metacritic UsersTDKR: 86TA: 81Boxoffice Forum (here)TDKR: 70,645 of the votes are 10TA: 62,79% of the votes are 10stop talking shit please? ^_^

Don't forget:MRQETDKR:80TA: 79criticschoice.comTDKR: 91TA: 90As far as "Butts in seats" are concernedTDK > TA > TDKR Edited by Squaremaster316

- Well TDK was a 'dark and serious' movie, that still obtained a 3* multiplier and opened practically identical maybe because the antecipation for TKDR was so much bigger than was for TDK? you know the term frontloaded right? example: Batman Begins-to-TDK and TDK-to-TDKR; what was the most antecipated?. Surely if the shootings effected the OW, then it would help its multiplier seeing as its OW was lowered?? It seems you know nothing about box office :') I know some people in this forum that give up of watching this movie in the cinemas, in the real world is probably a lot more who thought that way

- Bit it's not minimal, had TDKR had a multiplier of 3, it would have earned over $480m, that's a big difference. without 3D, TA would grossed only 50-65 million more DOM than TDKR, despite the high appeal to the kids, the "team thing never done before" and easy to follow (comedic and simple movie)

Edited by Goffe Bond

500m more because of 3D?? And I know nothing about box office? Lol. Your just making up shit now and it just shows how desperate you are. Your fighting a losing battle, its like me saying TDKR earned 400m because of IMAX

Yes, 500m because of the 3Dwithout the 3D, would be like 150-200 more than TDKR ;) Edited by Goffe Bond

or yesRT:TDKR: 8.0 (7.9 from top critic)TA: 8.0 (7.8 from top critic)IMDBTDKR: 8.8 (49,2% of the votes are 10)TA: 8.4 (38,2 of the votes are 10)MetacriticTDKR: 78TA: 69Metacritic UsersTDKR: 86TA: 81Boxoffice Forum (here)TDKR: 70,645 of the votes are 10TA: 62,79% of the votes are 10stop talking shit please? ^_^

A fine fine example of ownage there. Poor Jessie, he tries so hard......But if you say shit like 'the rest of the planet supports Avengers' you leave yourself open to that kind of ownage i guess.
  • Like 1

Yes, 500m because of the 3Dwithout the 3D, would be like 150-200 more than TDKR ;)

Wait let me get this right... $1,511,000,000 - $500,000,000 = $1,011,000,000 which is 150-200m more than TDKR which earned $1,072,000,000?? You need a few years with a private maths tutor because your maths sucks.And no, 3D prices aren't 50% more than normal ticket prices, and even if they were, not everyone watched the film in 3D.Epic fail.

maybe because the antecipation for TKDR was so much bigger than was for TDK? you know the term frontloaded right? example: Batman Begins-to-TDK and TDK-to-TDKR; what was the most antecipated?.

But they opened pratically identical?? TDK should have also been frontloaded, but great WOM stopped that.

I know some people in this forum that give up of watching this movie in the cinemas, in the real world is probably a lot more who thought that way

I agree that the shootings effected it's gross, but i can't see how it would have effected it by any more than 45-50m.

without 3D, TA would grossed only 50-65 million more DOM than TDKR, despite the high appeal to the kids, the "team thing never done before" and easy to follow (comedic and simple movie)

Yes and without IMAX TDKR would have grossed less than The Hunger Games. Lets not act like TDKR didnt appeal to kids also. Just because its more serious, doesnt mean kids didnt go see it. I had babies and families and my screening and even if TA did appeal to more kids, then taking into account cheaper prices for the younger crowd, it sold even more tickets than I originally thought. Edited by Jessie

Ownage??? I think not :)

Cinemascore

TDKR - A

The Avengers - A+

Multiplier

TDKR - 2.78

The Avengers - 3

RT score

TDKR - 92%

The Avengers - 87%

Domestic gross

TDKR - $447,509,207

The Avengers - $623,357,910

Overseas

TDKR - $630,800,000

The Avengers - $888,400,000

Worldwide

TDKR - $1.078,349,207

The Avengers - $1,511,757,910

The numbers speak for themselves :), nice try though...

Seriously, since when does the Box office decide which movie is better? That doesn't say anything at all - First of all the fact that Avengers was 3D played an important part in that, while TDKR was 2D. Also The Avengers managed to score that high with 5 or 6 freaking super heroes in the movie, from 5 difference franchises (that are in the Marvel franchise), so comparing the two of them Box Office wise is stupid because a. Review matter, not box office b. If The Dark Knight Rises would've been 3D, it would've pwned Avengers in all possible ways.

Seriously, since when does the Box office decide which movie is better?

It doesn't, but it gives a very good indicator of what the public thought ;)

That doesn't say anything at all - First of all the fact that Avengers was 3D played an important part in that, while TDKR was 2D. Also The Avengers managed to score that high with 5 or 6 freaking super heroes in the movie

Your point being???

If The Dark Knight Rises would've been 3D, it would've pwned Avengers in all possible ways.

So TDKR would have increased its box office gross by 50% had it been in 3D??? :lol:

If believing that crap helps you sleep at night, then so be it :)

Edited by Jessie

My point was that If you made a movie called "The Avengers" and put only Captain America in it wouldn't have grossed 600M domestically, but somewhere around 100M. My point is that Batman is one single Hero, while The Avengers are 6 heroes that each partially got some public. Most of the people went to see their favorite hero. Wait to compare Justice League with Avengers, not Batman who is one single hero.

My point was that If you made a movie called "The Avengers" and put only Captain America in it wouldn't have grossed 600M domestically, but somewhere around 100M. My point is that Batman is one single Hero, while The Avengers are 6 heroes that each partially got some public. Most of the people went to see their favorite hero. Wait to compare Justice League with Avengers, not Batman who is one single hero.

Justice league will struggle to match TDK's gross, let alone avengers. Besides your point is irrelevant, if people preferred to watch 6 superheroes in The Avengers than watch one hero in TDKR, then it's clear that the public preferred The Avengers over TDKR. End of.
  • Like 1

Wait let me get this right... $1,511,000,000 - $500,000,000 = $1,011,000,000 which is 150-200m more than TDKR which earned $1,072,000,000?? You need a few years with a private maths tutor because your maths sucks.And no, 3D prices aren't 50% more than normal ticket prices, and even if they were, not everyone watched the film in 3D.Epic fail.

:rofl:I think you don't undestand my postwithout the 3D, TA wouldn't have made 500m more, only 150-200 more, capiche? Edited by Goffe Bond