A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, Leviathan said:

I think when Guardian of the Galaxy vol 2 succeeds (and of course Avatar franchise, which isn't questionable at all) in every region that Star Wars brand fails to achieve, American newspapers will begin to seriously question why their beloved SW failed. For now, lame excuse is expected. US critics are well known for being fond of SW. See the two magical examples below for easy reference
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_i_the_phantom_menace/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_ii_attack_of_the_clones/

Those 2 films didn't get good reviews to be fair. Mixed to negative on the whole, with a some good reviews. TPM was rated rotten despite being the first Star Wars film in nearly 20 years, Fan's in the west don't really like those film's on the whole too, though a lot of people who were kids when those film's came out are actually quite fond of the prequels. I actually think if they released the prequels in China today (without episode 7+R1 ever being released) that they'd actually do quite well. No knowledge is needed of original trilogy as they are the start of the story. Those film's are more superficial (easy on the eye perhaps to the new generation Chinese audience), lots of actions, big set pieces and lots of highly choreographed saber duels. Pretty faces like Hayden & Natalie Portman.

R1 was always going to bemuse a large percentage of the Chinese audience simply because of the film's motivations + placement in the saga, whilst Episode 7 harped back to the original trilogy & was massively connected to the first trilogy. I think Star Wars has just landed in China too late. Maybe it picks up in 3/4 film's time, if audiences become more familiar & interested in the overall Star Wars mythology/stories.

Also American media has already began to question why Star Wars doesn't quite work in China and they are pretty much the same reasons that have been stated in this topic.

As for Guardians of the Galaxy 2, I agree, there is no reason why that film's won't do well in China. It's a new film series that has a lot going for it.

Edited by MonstersandRoy

Local media is reporting that these minuscule weekday drops can be attributed to some schools finishing up exams and letting students out early for Winter Break. The entire market bumped 3% from Tuesday->Wednesday which is unheard of during a non-holiday week. 

The top 5 films -- excluding Rogue One -- actually increased their daily box office totals from Monday->Tuesday and Tuesday->Wednesday so in that light, R1s weekday holds aren't that impressive. 

Edited by jiangsen

2 hours ago, jiangsen said:

Local media is reporting that these minuscule weekday drops can be attributed to some schools finishing up exams and letting students out early for Winter Break. The entire market bumped 3% from Tuesday->Wednesday which is unheard of during a non-holiday week. 

The top 5 films -- excluding Rogue One -- actually increased their daily box office totals from Monday->Tuesday and Tuesday->Wednesday so in that light, R1s weekday holds aren't that impressive. 

Yes, Chinese New Year arrives half a month earlier than last year.

2 hours ago, jiangsen said:

Hem. I agree to a certain extent but Railroad Tiger's increases are all due to fudge/fake numbers. The gross sum and % from that particular cinema and Jackie's cinema chains are increasing.

5 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I would say 50% drop. its losing half the screens. But it has held well till today.

the screen count cut is too much IMO. Star Trek had more screens in its 2nd weekend despite Shallows showing up. I thought R1 will do the same.. gosh.

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

the screen count cut is too much IMO. Star Trek had more screens in its 2nd weekend despite Shallows showing up. I thought R1 will do the same.. gosh.

yes. Passengers look like bombing and is taking only 27% of screens. Now it looks like dropping tomorrow despite holding so well Monday to Thursday(unprecedented in my experience).

This kills any chance of 500m yuan gross. Still should do 400m.

13 hours ago, Leviathan said:

I think when Guardian of the Galaxy vol 2 succeeds (and of course Avatar franchise, which isn't questionable at all) in every region that Star Wars brand fails to achieve, American newspapers will begin to seriously question why their beloved SW failed. For now, lame excuse is expected. US critics are well known for being fond of SW. See the two magical examples below for easy reference

That has little to do with reality. Star Wars is doing just fine internationally, even more so when it comes to the actual episodes. No journalist is going to wonder why Star Wars isn't a huge success in certain markets just because another movies fares well there. No one runs around and wonders why Marvel always fails to deliver in Europe either.

It has also absolutely nothing to do with "failing". You will have a hard time finding any movie that did great everywhere, apart from something like Titanic perhaps. Nor are any of these details "excuses". Some movies do not appeal to certain audiences, tough luck, that happens to basically every one of them. Just like there are movies that are big in China yet wouldn't be watched for free in other territories.

It's not like those markets where Rogue One didn't work out have some sort of higher standard when it comes to movies either. Just look at which american movies really succeeded in China: Furious 7, Transformers, Jurassic World, hardly movies that offer anything more than mindless entertainment, particularly the first two.

And for something that had been mentioned by someone else:

No, TPM was not rated as "rotten" when it was released. It had a fresh rating. It was only when it got re-released in 3D that additional reviews put it below the 60% mark.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

yes. Passengers look like bombing and is taking only 27% of screens. Now it looks like dropping tomorrow despite holding so well Monday to Thursday(unprecedented in my experience).

This kills any chance of 500m yuan gross. Still should do 400m.

Yup, more than 50% screen cuts tomorrow. Perhaps due to its length, theaters feel that that cutting R1 will allow them to have more timings for other movies.... 

500m Yuan is.. definitely..dead.

15 hours ago, Leviathan said:

You really should know more about Star Wars before commenting. The prequels only had success in the US because of the massive fanbase that had been waiting for a new movie for ~15 years. Bad movies don't do well in countries that don't have a built in install base. Mediocre movies can do well if they build up an install base, and Transformers as well as Fast & Furious prove that. 

To much of the world, Star Wars has way less brand power than either Transformers or F&F, so Star Wars is starting at page 1. Given its immense success and huge amount of cannon and non-cannon to build off of, it will be doing quite well in 10 years. Marvel movies are very comparable - no one cared about Captain America: The First Avenger, but by the time CA:CW rolled around, it did great at the box office, despite Captain America being one of the arguably less appealing Avengers.

Edited by Mrstickball
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

So, how is Railroad Tigers fudging? Is there actual proof?

Your tone... is like accusing us of lying even though the film itself destroys the integrity of the industry.

99% of the sources are in Mandarin. But an english one here: http://chinafilminsider.com/china-box-office-first-weekend-new-year-not-happy/

How can Jackie Chan's own theater chain of around 40 cinemas report same gross for Railroad Tigers as Wanda's roughly 400 cinemas?

The fudging got worst recently. Its daily right now.. Jackie's own cinema chain reports EVEN HIGHER than other cinema chains.

He is destroying his own legacy with a bad film. But doing such a thing is a spit in the face of people who are his longtime fans - like me.

Edited by TigerPaw

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Your tone... is like accusing us of lying even though the film itself destroys the integrity of the industry.

99% of the sources are in Mandarin. But an english one here: http://chinafilminsider.com/china-box-office-first-weekend-new-year-not-happy/

How can Jackie Chan's own theater chain of around 40 cinemas report same gross for Railroad Tigers as Wanda's roughly 400 cinemas?

The fudging got worst recently. Its daily right now.. Jackie's own cinema chain reports EVEN HIGHER than other cinema chains.

He is destroying his own legacy with a bad film. But doing such a thing is a spit in the face of people who are his longtime fans - like me.

Sorry if my tone came off like that. I was just curious. Anyways, it does sound like there is fudging going on. Is this common in China?

3 hours ago, Mrstickball said:

You really should know more about Star Wars before commenting. The prequels only had success in the US because of the massive fanbase that had been waiting for a new movie for ~15 years. Bad movies don't do well in countries that don't have a built in install base. Mediocre movies can do well if they build up an install base, and Transformers as well as Fast & Furious prove that. 

To much of the world, Star Wars has way less brand power than either Transformers or F&F, so Star Wars is starting at page 1. Given its immense success and huge amount of cannon and non-cannon to build off of, it will be doing quite well in 10 years. Marvel movies are very comparable - no one cared about Captain America: The First Avenger, but by the time CA:CW rolled around, it did great at the box office, despite Captain America being one of the arguably less appealing Avengers.

Great points!

1 hour ago, Polaroids said:

Two movies already moved released dates from CNY to two weeks later, Cook Up A Storm and The Game Changer. Kung Fu Yoga and Duckweed haven't opened up presales but I think it's gonna be between Journey to the West and Buddies in India for the top spot.

Don't underestimate the power of Han Han...

38 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

Any Thursday numbers?

THURSDAY ESTIMATES
Rogue One - ¥20.9M /301M 
Some Like It Hot - ¥15.4M/430M
Railroad Tigers - ¥7.2M/630M
The Great Wall - ¥5.0M/¥1123M 
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥2.05M/¥400M 
See You Tomorrow - ¥1.48M/473M
Nerve - ¥0.85M/11.23M
Moana - ¥0.32M/224M

• Like 13