Some Like It Hot - ¥15.4M/430M
Railroad Tigers - ¥7.2M/630M
The Great Wall - ¥5.0M/¥1123M 
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥2.05M/¥400M 
See You Tomorrow - ¥1.48M/473M
Nerve - ¥0.85M/11.23M
Moana - ¥0.32M/224M

So R1 is at $43.6M USD right?

Is it really still poised for $60M finish? 

59 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Good call fmpro. passengers is at 33.61m at 830PM and growing at 4m per hour. Should hit high 30's by EOD. Really good considering how weak the presales were until couple of days back. Looking like it could do 130-150m ow and looka t 250m finish. It has only 2 weeks of run and so that limits its legs.

I agree. Its okay all consider... But i don't get why its not having more appeal. Is it the releasedate?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fmpro said:

I agree. Its okay all consider... But i don't get why its not having more appeal. Is it the releasedate?

This month... is dead, until CNY starts.

Look at the box office for these 2 weeks,  doesn't look like a mature box office country whereby 2 -3 films can survive (unlike just recent memories in Decemember/November whereby a few films can release together and all do well). Now the cannibalism is strong.

• Like 2

FRIDAY ESTIMATES

Passengers -  ¥37.6M /38M 
Rogue One - ¥17.1M /319M 
Some Like It Hot - ¥13.8M/445M

Kubo and 2 Strings - ¥6.75M 
Railroad Tigers - ¥3.85M/635M

Eye of Sky -  ¥2.55M 
The Great Wall - ¥2.5M/¥1125M 
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥1.08M/¥401M 

• Like 17

12 minutes ago, Olive said:

FRIDAY ESTIMATES

Passengers -  ¥37.6M /38M 
Rogue One - ¥17.1M /319M 
Some Like It Hot - ¥13.8M/445M

Kubo and 2 Strings - ¥6.75M 
Railroad Tigers - ¥3.85M/635M

Eye of Sky -  ¥2.55M 
The Great Wall - ¥2.5M/¥1125M 
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥1.08M/¥401M 

Hope R1's number is accurate, Maoyan is 1m difference.
Still disappointing ,but its less disappointing than 15.9m

Edited by TigerPaw

13 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Hope R1's number is accurate, Maoyan is 1m difference.
Still disappointing ,but its less disappointing than 15.9m

I don't think R1 number is disappointing at all. In fact it is quite good considering it lost 50% of its screens.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nVIDIADriver said:

410M is locked so the next target is 416M/$60M. it's not easy but still possible.

IMO, not that surprising considering how well The Revenant did last year in China ($58.6M) so there's a room in China for movies that aren't typical PG-13 SFX fests with robots and SH.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

IMO, not that surprising considering how well The Revenant did last year in China ($58.6M) so there's a room in China for movies that aren't typical PG-13 SFX fests with robots and SH.  

I am curious: Other than the 2-3 bannable things in movies (Ghosts, mainly)... What else prevents a movie from releasing in China other than controversial content?

Both Hacksaw Ridge and The Revenant are extremely graphic R-rated movies, and the Chinese seemingly enjoyed them a lot. It could be a smart market to leverage for upcoming high-quality R-rated movies in the future.. Could Deadpool 2 or Logan get released there?

1 hour ago, Mrstickball said:

I am curious: Other than the 2-3 bannable things in movies (Ghosts, mainly)... What else prevents a movie from releasing in China other than controversial content?

Both Hacksaw Ridge and The Revenant are extremely graphic R-rated movies, and the Chinese seemingly enjoyed them a lot. It could be a smart market to leverage for upcoming high-quality R-rated movies in the future.. Could Deadpool 2 or Logan get released there?

There is no rhyme or reason to what gets released in China.

It's not as simple as "NO VIOLENCE ALLOWED!" "NO GHOSTS ALLOWED!"..

It's all about building relationships or guanxi. I think both Hacksaw and The Revenant had ins with local distribution companies who themselves had some pull in the industry. They were both "buy-out" films, meaning local companies get to handle marketing and distribution, which is very different than Hollywood studio blockbusters that come in as "revenue-sharing". The government will likely be more sensitive concerning those...also, most of the Hollywood studios don't know how to play the guanxi game or are unable to since they're outsiders.

Edited by jiangsen
  • Like 1