A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

IMO, not that surprising considering how well The Revenant did last year in China ($58.6M) so there's a room in China for movies that aren't typical PG-13 SFX fests with robots and SH.  

You may underestimated how well Hacksaw Ridge did. Even though it lost showtimes drastically every weekend (-64%, -78%, -56%, 60%, -70%), it gets 9.4 on Maoyan which is the highest score of non-animated films ever and has such a strong legs. If the market is less competitive in this period or well... not that short-sighted, Hacksaw Ridge will easily pass 600M/$87M here, even 693M/$100M is possible. Anyway, it is already a big success here.

BTW, I hope it can do well in Singapore and South Korea in the next month.

4 hours ago, Mrstickball said:

I am curious: Other than the 2-3 bannable things in movies (Ghosts, mainly)... What else prevents a movie from releasing in China other than controversial content?

Both Hacksaw Ridge and The Revenant are extremely graphic R-rated movies, and the Chinese seemingly enjoyed them a lot. It could be a smart market to leverage for upcoming high-quality R-rated movies in the future.. Could Deadpool 2 or Logan get released there?

The Revenant can of course attract many Leonardo's fans and IMO the bear is cute (well...bear is my favorite animal). And about Hacksaw Ridge, firstly, due to some history issues, many people in this country more or less dislike Japanese. Secondly, the graphic battlefield scenes can attract more male audiences. And then many audiences were moved by not only the brave behavior of Doss, but also the sincere performance of that boyish "cornstalk".    

Generally, it doesn't matter that it's a R-rated movie or not or even it has high-quality or not, it all depends on whether or not it has some features that can attract the general audiences here. 

BTW, I think Logan can release here but for Deadpool II, I am not sure.

• Like 3

SARTURDAY ESTIMATES
Passengers -  ¥43.7M /80.80M 
Rogue One - ¥24.6M /344M 
Some Like It Hot - ¥19.2M/464M
Kubo and 2 Strings - ¥7.8M/14.6M 
Railroad Tigers - ¥5.6M/640M
Eye of Sky -  ¥3.05M/5.65M 
The Great Wall - ¥3.45M/¥1129M 
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥2.15M/¥403M 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Polaroids said:

Presales for CNY in yuan (if I'm reading this right, feel free to correct me)

Journey to the West - 12m

Buddies in India - 8m

Duckweed - 414k

Kung Fu Yoga - 241k

14 days to go

Are these numbers good?

JTTW and BII sound amazing for pre-sales. If you look at the pre-sales thread, the comps are fantastic. If those numbers are for Midnight+OD for JTTW, then its somewhere near Warcraft's +14 day pre-sales number. 

As an American BO enthusiast, its great that China has these festivals during times of drought in the American box office... Gives me something to look forward to and excited about other than Resident Evil's run in late January :-)

• Like 2

ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY took in est. ¥24.6M ($3.6M) on Saturday, -70% last Saturday. China's total is now ¥344M ($49.9M).

PASSENGERS earned est. ¥43.7M ($6.3M) on Saturday. China's 2-day total is est. ¥80.8M ($11.7M)

• Like 5

On 2/7/2016 at 5:47 AM, Polaroids said:

According to this - http://weibo.com/5768800667/DgKENmJow, Mermaid already broke Lost in Hongkong's presale record (99.92 million yuan) with 100 million yuan in opening day presales. How much are we predicting for the CNY movies?

Here's the pertinent quote about Mermaid's presales.. 100m yuan in OD pre-sales. That was en-route to a 281m OD, for a 2.8x PS multiplier it seems. 

13 hours ago, Mrstickball said:

Here's the pertinent quote about Mermaid's presales.. 100m yuan in OD pre-sales. That was en-route to a 281m OD, for a 2.8x PS multiplier it seems. 

Thanks! I do know the presales for Mermaid a day before it released but I was wondering how it was doing two weeks prior just for comparison. It might have blown up in presales in the days leading to CNY. I should have clarified that I was talking about the presales weeks before, sorry.

Edited by Polaroids

SUNDAY ESTIMATES
Passengers -  ¥38.8M /121M 
Rogue One - ¥21M /365M 
Some Like It Hot - ¥18.7M/483M
Kubo and 2 Strings - ¥6.3M/20.9M 
Railroad Tigers - ¥5.8M/646M
Eye of Sky -  ¥2.7M/8.4M 
The Great Wall - ¥3.6M/¥1132M 
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥2.1M/¥405M 

• Like 14