Automatically embedding has been temporarily turned off until the Twitter bug has been fixed. This will only affect new posts made. Once the issue has been fixed, automatic embedding will return. It is possible to manually embed content I believe. If you quote a post with an embedded tweet, please delete the tweet.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

firedeep

China Box Office: General Discussion Thread

30,903 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I would like to ask, is it a meaningful act to exclude services fee charges as the authority recognise the official indicator with included figure?

and, is it china only included the services fee into their gross?? if so, this is really disturbing

I don't know of any other market which includes ticketing surcharges in its official grosses, and even if they did, the amount would pale in comparison to China where 80% of tickets are bought online now. Indeed it is rather alarming as a way to pad stats, yet local media have caught on and usually report both 综合 (including) and 分账 (not including) grosses. Unsurprisingly, Hollywood studios and western trades, excluding China Film Insider, report the 综合 grosses since it makes the numbers look larger for their films.

Edited by jiangsen

As of Sunday, Yearly box office - 18.4B yuan, 1.1B of which are ticketing surcharges. around 6%.

Edited by Olive

1 hour ago, jiangsen said:

I don't know of any other market which includes ticketing surcharges in its official grosses, and even if they did, the amount would pale in comparison to China where 80% of tickets are bought online now. Indeed it is rather alarming as a way to pad stats, yet local media have caught on and usually report both 综合 (including) and 分账 (not including) grosses. Unsurprisingly, Hollywood studios and western trades, excluding China Film Insider, report the 综合 grosses since it makes the numbers look larger for their films.

Alarming ? I doubt anyone is taking any decision based on those numbers.

It not like they ever report studio rental in modern days, they are always reporting how much customer spent on tickets I think, I don't think they remove the 10.72% special tax in France on movie ticket either.

How much customers spent on a movie is also a valid metric to have when talking box office I imagine, as long as both are easily accessible.