Automatically embedding has been temporarily turned off until the Twitter bug has been fixed. This will only affect new posts made. Once the issue has been fixed, automatic embedding will return. It is possible to manually embed content I believe. If you quote a post with an embedded tweet, please delete the tweet.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cochofles

Wonder Woman | June 2, 2017 | New Trailer in updated first post

6,508 posts in this topic

I think a Wonder Woman movie be a hit if they make it appeal to men. For example the name shouldn't be Wonder Woman. Something like "Lasso of Truth" would be better, or "Amazon Warrior".I think it should go the way of Nolan's batman series, or in other words, a darker version of the character. The suit can't be the way it is in the comic's, has to be more realistic, like what they did to Captain America, in TFA.

Wonder Woman would never work as a stand alone superhero movie. From a general audience perspective she's almost as laughable as Aquaman with his bright orange shirt.I suppose if you had an actress who looks like a young Monica Bellucci and had a director like the one who did Immortals you could do a very artful Wonder Woman movie that excites the audience because it looks so original. But trying to do something too commercial with some skinny ditz playing Wonder Woman would be a disaster like NBC's recently canceled WW show.

But are audiences really averse to watching women doing superhuman feats and fending off villains?

Yes if she is size 0 but takes on guys three times her size. Yes if she does that in high heels. Yes if the story if fuckin stupid.The problem with action heroine movies is that they require to be better than averige because audiences, both male and female, still identify with male hero more because they find male heroes more believable. Above mentioned reasons play a huge part in why female action heroines fail. You either make an action movie and cast an actress with suitable physique or you shoot a fashion show and don`t call it an action movie. Simple.

This is an uber-hypothetical scenario-Let's say James Cameron directed and, say, Gerard Butler or Javier Bardem played Ares, and some really gorgeous, talented unknown played WW, and WB gathers a top-notch team for everything from the score to the cinematography...would audiences still ignore a WW? I ask this because among my comic book geek friends, I keep hearing that a WW film would never work, people would never pay to see that, women superheroes don't appeal to the masses, etc.What do you guys think?

Get someone like Cameron or Q, director-writers who created iconic female characters in the past, to write the character is a good start. Take a look at what actresses created iconic action heroines in movies and on TV - Weaver, Hamilton, Lawless, Carter (original WW), Thurman - and deduce why (physical attributes, charisma, talent). It isn`t so hard. Edited by fishnets

It would never work... She could work in a JL movie perhaps..

Yes if she is size 0 but takes on guys three times her size. Yes if she does that in high heels. Yes if the story if fuckin stupid.

The problem with action heroine movies is that they require to be better than averige because audiences, both male and female, still identify with male hero more because they find male heroes more believable. Above mentioned reasons play a huge part in why female action heroines fail. You either make an action movie and cast an actress with suitable physique or you shoot a fashion show and don`t call it an action movie. Simple.

Get someone like Cameron or Q, director-writers who created iconic female characters in the past, to write the character is a good start. Take a look at what actresses created iconic action heroines in movies and on TV - Weaver, Hamilton, Lawless, Carter (original WW), Thurman - and deduce why (physical attributes, charisma, talent). It isn`t so hard.

I absolutely agree. Part of what made me think about this topic was seeing the trailer for that new film with Gia Carano, Haywire. I don't know if she is decent at acting, but seeing her fighting in the trailer, and looking absolutely convincing kicking ass, made me realize that she at least looks like a phisycally superior woman, someone that I could definitely believe is knocking down men. Also, she fights Michael Fassbender, who is just an average-sized dude, not some steroid-enhanced superman, which makes the outcome of their fight realistic. In any case, I totally agree that part of the problem is making a female superhero uber-sexy (insofar as "sexy" means the traditional, cliched, male-centric definition of the term: lots of cleavage, ass-shots, crotch-shots, and dominatrix-style costumes). Wonder Woman's costume would probably have to be tweaked for a film (maybe some straps that hold her bustier in place, and something that covers her legs more. Make her appealing to men, but without alienating a female audience with some ridiculous in-your-face sexuality. To me, Beatrix Kiddo in Kill Bill was basically a superheroine, and only once did she show any skin (and it was totally understandable, in that scene in the bathroom when she was taking a pregnancy test. But even then, QT did not film it to maximise "sexiness."

I think a WW film could work, well, like any film could work...solid script, respect for the character, and respect for the audience's intelligence. A solid director. (Hey, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Wonder Woman for JC's or QT's potential first foray into full-fledged superhero movies, although it will probably never happen. I don't believe that Wonder Woman is on the same level as Aquaman on the scale of laughable characters. She is simply a character that fanboys tend to look down on because she is not in the same Catwoman/Elektra/Vampirella mold...she is not a seductress, a ruthless killer, or a villanous woman (which is a popular literary/pop culture trope).

Edited by Cochofles

I absolutely agree. Part of what made me think about this topic was seeing the trailer for that new film with Gia Carano, Haywire. I don't know if she is decent at acting, but seeing her fighting in the trailer, and looking absolutely convincing kicking ass, made me realize that she at least looks like a phisycally superior woman, someone that I could definitely believe is knocking down men. Also, she fights Michael Fassbender, who is just an average-sized dude, not some steroid-enhanced superman, which makes the outcome of their fight realistic.

Bingo. She looks like someone who can take down an averige size man, not a giant or Mike Tyson, and she does fight an averige size opponent. So that is kept real. Trouble with action heroines is that movies try to make them too Sue. She always must best people who she couldn`t best in million years. She always does her ass kicking out of some tired issue (revenge) and she is always Jack-of-all-trades. You give her any weapon, she`s a master.Try to fight her in any MA style, she`ll know it. Riiight. Which is why Katniss Everdeen (HG) appeals to me. She isn`t superior in everything but only archery and shooting while she`s averige or bellow in everything else and isn`t affraid to admit it and she doesn`t feel inferior because of it nor she lords over because of archery mastership.

In any case, I totally agree that part of the problem is making a female superhero uber-sexy (insofar as "sexy" means the traditional, cliched, male-centric definition of the term: lots of cleavage, ass-shots, crotch-shots, and dominatrix-style costumes). Wonder Woman's costume would probably have to be tweaked for a film (maybe some straps that hold her bustier in place, and something that covers her legs more. Make her appealing to men, but without alienating a female audience with some ridiculous in-your-face sexuality. To me, Beatrix Kiddo in Kill Bill was basically a superheroine, and only once did she show any skin (and it was totally understandable, in that scene in the bathroom when she was taking a pregnancy test. But even then, QT did not film it to maximise "sexiness."

Bingo. Sexiness problem stems from warrior chick being really adolescent boy`s fantasy rather than something women relate to or identify with. It`s a male thing aka empowered sex kitten. It`s just smokes and mirrors. She`s still a sex kitten while Girl Power part is a smoke screen.

I think a WW film could work, well, like any film could work...solid script, respect for the character, and respect for the audience's intelligence. A solid director.

A requirement for any movie, really. Too bad most are missing all 4.

(Hey, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Wonder Woman for JC's or QT's potential first foray into full-fledged superhero movies, although it will probably never happen. I don't believe that Wonder Woman is on the same level as Aquaman on the scale of laughable characters. She is simply a character that fanboys tend to look down on because she is not in the same Catwoman/Elektra/Vampirella mold...she is not a seductress, a ruthless killer, or a villanous woman (which is a popular literary/pop culture trope).

Tropes are other reason why these characters don`t work. They are tropes, not characters, because the script never bother to develop them beyond the trope. If the heroine is seeking revnge, revenge trope is all there is to her character. No other dimension. Or if she is seductress or a villain or whatever. As if adding layers would weaken the character. Ironically, male heroes are allowed to break down and that`s hihgly regarded as a great character moment without anyone ever questioning their mental strength , while heroines (in badly written movies) are ordered to remain stone cold from start to finish. Like Selene in Underworld, the most typical tough chick trope around. Sexy? Check. High heels? Check. Size 0? Check. Takes down big guys? Check. Emotionless killing machine? la duh. Uh!

I agree that Wonder Woman would work in a JLA movie but not a stand alone project.

I think it could work. Especially if it focuses on woman empowerment. A cool origin story would be awesome to start with.

It's frustating because I think Wonder Woman could work as a film and the character is iconic. My idea has always been an origin story, an unknown actress to play Diana/Wonder Woman, her costume to be slightly tweaked so it resemble Greek armour but still retain aspects of the original costume and to be directed by someone like Kathryn Bigelow. The 2009 Animated film is very good and it proves that a standalone Wonder Woman film could work in the right hands.

It's frustating because I think Wonder Woman could work as a film and the character is iconic. My idea has always been an origin story, an unknown actress to play Diana/Wonder Woman, her costume to be slightly tweaked so it resemble Greek armour but still retain aspects of the original costume and to be directed by someone like Kathryn Bigelow. The 2009 Animated film is very good and it proves that a standalone Wonder Woman film could work in the right hands.

Back in the day, when Bigelow still hadn't won acclaim (and an Oscar) for The Hurt Locker, and based on the stuff she did in Near Dark and Strange Days, I thought she would be a great choice for a potential Wonder Woman. I think Angela Bassett's role in Strange Days is one of the great (unknown) action heroines in cinema history. Too bad that film (which granted, had many flaws) was not a hit. Bassett was a rarity: A powerful, flawed, layered action heroine who was sexy in a very understated, regal, non-cliched way, and who also happened to be African American.

I would love to see why people say "no." Nope, I am not criticizing your opinion, I am just curious as to what is the reasoning behind it. I am ambivalent about this, I think a WW movie has the potential to break out, but a lot of very special care, more than your average superhero-film-of-the-week, has to be put into it. I would really love to read your opinions; why do you guys think that a WW hit film is simply not possible?

Nobody would take the character seriously. There's a reason that all of those other characters have starred in big budget films and Wonder Woman hasn't. The studios know it isn't viable. Do you really think general audiences would sit and watch Wonder Woman whipping out her lasso of truth or whatever without breaking out laughing?It would never happen and if it did it would bomb. As the main draw in her own film it wouldn't work.

Edited by Magic

Back in the day, when Bigelow still hadn't won acclaim (and an Oscar) for The Hurt Locker, and based on the stuff she did in Near Dark and Strange Days, I thought she would be a great choice for a potential Wonder Woman. I think Angela Bassett's role in Strange Days is one of the great (unknown) action heroines in cinema history. Too bad that film (which granted, had many flaws) was not a hit. Bassett was a rarity: A powerful, flawed, layered action heroine who was sexy in a very understated, regal, non-cliched way, and who also happened to be African American.

Stop, you're reminding how scewed up it is that Halle Berry played Storm insead of Angela Bassett.

Nobody would take the character seriously. There's a reason that all of those other characters have starred in big budget films and Wonder Woman hasn't. The studios know it isn't viable. Do you really think general audiences would sit and watch Wonder Woman whipping out her lasso of truth or whatever without breaking out laughing?

i disagree. i think it could work, but it needs a very good script and a good director who treats the material in a mature way.no cheesiness.why would the audiences laugh? did they laugh when 50 kilos angelina jolie kicks all kinds of bad guy ass and basically acts like a superheroine in action movies? No, for some reason she's believable. but she does quality action movies with high budget, great script writers and good directors. so no cheesy catwoman scripting, but mature writing is needed. if the quality is there, then audiences will embrace it Edited by kyky
1 person likes this

Let me know when a Wonder Woman movie has been greenlit, fully funded, filmed and become a blockbuster (say 200M+ domestic).Meanwhile I will be playing with my pet unicorn Jessie in my fairy garden.

Edited by Magic

Nobody would take the character seriously.

Why? I am just curious.

There's a reason that all of those other characters have starred in big budget films and Wonder Woman hasn't. The studios know it isn't viable.

What do you think the reason is? Financially viable or in terms of character or conceptualization?

Do you really think general audiences would sit and watch Wonder Woman whipping out her lasso of truth or whatever without breaking out laughing?

I could think of several movie scenarios that sound as "ridiculous" on paper, and still worked on film. It's all about execution.

It would never happen and if it did it would bomb. As the main draw in her own film it wouldn't work.

But out of curiosity, why do you think that would happen? Edited by Cochofles