Automatically embedding has been temporarily turned off until the Twitter bug has been fixed. This will only affect new posts made. Once the issue has been fixed, automatic embedding will return. It is possible to manually embed content I believe. If you quote a post with an embedded tweet, please delete the tweet.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cochofles

Wonder Woman | June 2, 2017 | New Trailer in updated first post

6,601 posts in this topic

There was a WW cartoon that came out a few years back. I think Kerri Russel did her voice. It was really well-written IMHO, and plenty gritty.I'm not saying the avergae movie-going public would get over themselves enough to make it a hit, but it would be worth making as a film of merit.

It would come down to the writer-director-producer combo. Do they find the right vision/interpretation and actually pull it off?Thor opened possibilities for these fantasy super-hero films IMO, but I don't see DC or anyone outside of Marvel showcasing the sort of vision and excellence it takes to make these movies great.

The biggest problem here is the superhero movie fatigue factor. I'm already detecting signs of it, and a Wonder Woman, of all things, might end up being the straw to break the camel's back. Then again, I've heard that they're actually making a "Flash" movie, so who can even begin to guess what they might come with next? Perhaps a Wonder Woman movie doesn't look quite as ludicrous in comparision to some others of the genre.

I think this could be a hit as a comedy.I agree with all the comments that nobody would take it seriously and they would laugh.I say play up to that and have fun with it. Avoid ever going dark with it and let the Linda Carter character share the joke with the audience. You'd need the Jim Carrey equivalent in a female actor, but ultimately you'd need a cracking good script.

I think it could be a hit & appeal to the masses, but I do think it's a bit more complicated that your average super hero pic.

WW is probably the most popular solo female super hero character, so the character awareness is there.

Casting & the script are equally improtant.

If the "movie-verse" of WW has is done correctly, I think an audience would respond to that.

I don't think you have to go "dark", but if the source material is taken seriously, there's a fine film there.

Green Latern is about a guy who finds a alien ring that turns into whatever he imagines it to be. An Amazon female warrior film with powers isn't exactly ridicoulous when compared to that.

I think it's because we haven't seen a live action film, it's tough to imagine it being a decent film.

Edited by Coffee

I know, I know...stupid question maybe. But I would love to see what you guys think. I know that there's a pervading sense of mistrust regarding female-centered superhero (or superheroish) films, mostly due to how badly Catwoman, Elektra, and Aeon Flux did. But are audiences really averse to watching women doing superhuman feats and fending off villains? Charlie's Angels, Kill Bill, Tomb Raider and Salt all did well. Now, when it comes to Angelina, an argument could be made as to how her presence alone helped those last two films, and how Tarantino's name was what helped KB and how the first Charlie's Angels had all those stars, plus the built-in audience of the TV show, but, is it really a case of audiences not wanting to see women in these scenarios? Because Angelina, Tarantino, and the women in CA all had flop films, and the second CA decreased, which means that it's not necessarily their names alone what made the above-mentioned movies succeed.

It's just interesting that of all the iconic superhero properties (truly iconic, I mean, with over 4 decades of universal recognizability and pop-culture saturation), only Wonder Woman has not had a big-budget film made. Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Hulk...all the iconic usual suspects have had a movie, plus at-the-time B-listers like Iron Man, Green Lantern, relatively recent properties like Wolverine and Elektra, and even at-the-time unknown characters like Blade.

This is an uber-hypothetical scenario-Let's say James Cameron directed and, say, Gerard Butler or Javier Bardem played Ares, and some really gorgeous, talented unknown played WW, and WB gathers a top-notch team for everything from the score to the cinematography...would audiences still ignore a WW? I ask this because among my comic book geek friends, I keep hearing that a WW film would never work, people would never pay to see that, women superheroes don't appeal to the masses, etc.

What do you guys think?

No.. Plain and simple.. No one cares about WONDER WOMAN and so much that NBC cancelled the WONDER WOMAN pilot before it even aired..LOL!!! If that's not enough to answer your question, then I don't know what it is..

No.. Plain and simple.. No one cares about WONDER WOMAN and so much that NBC cancelled the WONDER WOMAN pilot before it even aired..LOL!!! If that's not enough to answer your question, then I don't know what it is..

Agree. BKB... intrest is little for this...

can´t see this working in any way to become a blockbuster

Losing Whedon possibly the greatest box office blunder in history.

Personally, I always felt Wonder Woman was the most popular female superhero. I don't know how to compare her to a team like X-Men or FF (who have female team members). However, she is the most popular solo female superhero. I would think that if done properly, she would do very well on film.I think she's DCs most bankable superhero after Superman and Batman. She's a much bigger name than Green Lantern or Jonah Hex.

Why? I am just curious.What do you think the reason is? Financially viable or in terms of character or conceptualization?I could think of several movie scenarios that sound as "ridiculous" on paper, and still worked on film. It's all about execution.But out of curiosity, why do you think that would happen?

Have you ever read Azzarello's Wonder Woman? I'd fucking LOVE if they adapted that. Unfortunately, Warner doesn't. Learn and after having Joss Whedon as a lock to write the script, they lost him and now he conquered the World with The Avengers. All cool if they would get their act together and hire a competent screen writer, right? RIGHT? Because it would be the obvious thing to do. What Warner des instead? They hire the same dude from Green Lantern. Which makes me lose all hope even before it starts. They should just fire everyone and start again at this point. I can't believe that the Green Lantern writers are getting YET another high prolific superhero. Rant is over.

Dunno about that, but I think he could have made a successful WW film. No one writes the heroine as well as he does.Too bad we'll never find out thanks to Joel Silver. That guy has become completely useless. Edited by YoursTruly

Have you ever read Azzarello's Wonder Woman? I'd fucking LOVE if they adapted that. Unfortunately, Warner doesn't. Learn and after having Joss Whedon as a lock to write the script, they lost him and now he conquered the World with The Avengers. All cool if they would get their act together and hire a competent screen writer, right? RIGHT? Because it would be the obvious thing to do. What Warner des instead? They hire the same dude from Green Lantern. Which makes me lose all hope even before it starts. They should just fire everyone and start again at this point. I can't believe that the Green Lantern writers are getting YET another high prolific superhero. Rant is over.

WB likes having puppets they can micromanage. Too bad the suits at WB don't have a clue what they're doing either, so we end up with micromanaged trash.

Whedon is most be happy now WB not doing this gave him a much better chance to exceed. Hell WB could used Nolan, Whedon, Cameron comb this film would still flop.

Dunno about that, but I think he could have made a successful WW film. No one writes the heroine as well as he does.Too bad we'll never find out thanks to Joel Silver. That guy has become completely useless.

Cameron handles female heroes very well. Same with Luc Bennson. WW is basically a female superman and superman is hard to sell. How the hell would a WW makes its budget back.

I know, I know...stupid question maybe. But I would love to see what you guys think. I know that there's a pervading sense of mistrust regarding female-centered superhero (or superheroish) films, mostly due to how badly Catwoman, Elektra, and Aeon Flux did. But are audiences really averse to watching women doing superhuman feats and fending off villains? Charlie's Angels, Kill Bill, Tomb Raider and Salt all did well. Now, when it comes to Angelina, an argument could be made as to how her presence alone helped those last two films, and how Tarantino's name was what helped KB and how the first Charlie's Angels had all those stars, plus the built-in audience of the TV show, but, is it really a case of audiences not wanting to see women in these scenarios? Because Angelina, Tarantino, and the women in CA all had flop films, and the second CA decreased, which means that it's not necessarily their names alone what made the above-mentioned movies succeed.

It's just interesting that of all the iconic superhero properties (truly iconic, I mean, with over 4 decades of universal recognizability and pop-culture saturation), only Wonder Woman has not had a big-budget film made. Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Hulk...all the iconic usual suspects have had a movie, plus at-the-time B-listers like Iron Man, Green Lantern, relatively recent properties like Wolverine and Elektra, and even at-the-time unknown characters like Blade.

This is an uber-hypothetical scenario-Let's say James Cameron directed and, say, Gerard Butler or Javier Bardem played Ares, and some really gorgeous, talented unknown played WW, and WB gathers a top-notch team for everything from the score to the cinematography...would audiences still ignore a WW? I ask this because among my comic book geek friends, I keep hearing that a WW film would never work, people would never pay to see that, women superheroes don't appeal to the masses, etc.

What do you guys think?

It's a complete EPIC FAIL for WONDER WOMAN, Especially since NBC Cancelled WONDER WOMAN before the Pilot even aired..LOL!!!!! So much for girl power.. Hell, between this and GREEN LANTERN Tanking, I'd say the prospects of a JLA Movie are dead.. MARVEL RULES.. That is all..

This a thousand times. DC has a crap load of awesome stories, while Marvel right now is suffering in the originality department. Wonder Woman can work, they just need a quality script.
1 person likes this

This a thousand times. DC has a crap load of awesome stories, while Marvel right now is suffering in the originality department. Wonder Woman can work, they just need a quality script.

Can the current writer deliver?

I love Wonder Woman.Please don't accept this moron's script.

WB likes having puppets they can micromanage. Too bad the suits at WB don't have a clue what they're doing either, so we end up with micromanaged trash.

And yet they're happy to hand their most popular character to directors and give them total freedom. But when it comes to the less popular characters they micromanage, you'd think it would be the other way around.