Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cochofles

Wonder Woman | June 2, 2017 | Reactions (including RT critics) are... very positive (Cue Electric Cello) | No spoilers allowed | NOT THE ZACK SNYDER / BVS / SS THREAD - YOU WILL BE BANNED

10,563 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Bane Cook said:

I just want to say not to get your hopes sky high. It seems to be getting better reactions than BvS or SS, which is awesome, but I wouldn't expect 80%+ on RT or something. Go to mashable.com and read their article on the reactions. Basically he said he spoke to some people who didn't like it after his screening. Some of them aren't tweeting reations and he also said some people he talked to who said some negative things, are being more positive on on social media now. He said there's overwhelmingly positive reactions right now but to expect the negatives and positives to balance out when the embargo lifts. 

What? You mean Wonder Woman isn't gonna end up with a 100% on rottentomatoes?

1 minute ago, Greener Ranger said:

NGyJZ_s-200x150.gif?c=popkey-web&p=mars&

Just now, CowpersGland3000 said:

You think they'll have a small Aquaman teaser by then?  With whatever little footage they have in the can?  Also, you're not calling it "MOS2"?  Just straight "Superman"?!  

I dig it.

I have some names that I'd like, depending on how the DCEU is going forward. Sam Raimi's Man of Tomorrow has a good ring to it, but if I had my way and DC does indeed use Geoff Johns brilliant renaissance of DC Comics, what I would LOVE to see is this:

Joss Whedon's Justice League: Doomsday Clock

Sam Raimi's Superman Rebirth

Matt Reeve's Batman Rebirth (with a recasting on Batman, because I truly feel like Ben is out after JL)

Those who read DC Comics right now would get EXACTLY where I'm going here, and I definitely think it could work. 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Nah. My hopes are sky high and you can't stop me. Also, I feel like I've seen this game before, it's very much like people was talking about Deadpool's first impressions. I was being cautious with 70% RT predictions but screw that. This is getting a simillar score than Deadpool, aroun 80%-85%. 

In reality I don't care what anyone does. It's your right to get as excited as you want, obviously. I really hope everyone loves Wonder Woman as much as these reactions, critics and fan alike. That would be awesome. Was just trying to point out something I noticed after reading both EmpireCity's, Boxoffice, and that mashable writer's words. Didn't think I would get get accused of trolling by a mod for it, but whatever that's cool. 

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Greener Ranger said:

That would be awesome if it did. 

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That is not what he said - he said he interprets it as "they didn't like it" whereas the reality is much simpler - they are at the Pirates 5 screening. He also didn't say expect the negative and positives to balance out - he said to expect the sentiment to shift a bit. The way you have worded it is pretty much concern trolling at this point where as his wording just means "Not everyone love the movie", and a lot of critics are still in the Pirates screening to tweet when the embargo lifted.

He also said "the movie grows on you a lot" which is why some people who weren't positive during the screening are now positive.

Here's my suggestion - stop concern trolling. The reviews will come probably this time next week, or a bit later. Obviously, WB knows they are getting good feeback, else they would not even risk lifting this embargo.

yeah have no clue what Bane is trying to say with this either. I mean no movie is flawless there is negative parts in all movies. But they will still end up being good and liking it. TDK ferry scene was so damn stupid yet that movie is fantastic. Same goes for TDKR truly problematic stuff in that one as well. Bruce get paralized but after a couple of moths he can escape a prison no one can. It still recieved a very good critics score on RT even though there was messy parts in it. Here it seems like Wonder Woman is a truly great movie but some think it has some problems with it. But they still think its good.

7 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I have some names that I'd like, depending on how the DCEU is going forward. Sam Raimi's Man of Tomorrow has a good ring to it, but if I had my way and DC does indeed use Geoff Johns brilliant renaissance of DC Comics, what I would LOVE to see is this:

Joss Whedon's Justice League: Doomsday Clock

Sam Raimi's Superman Rebirth

Matt Reeve's Batman Rebirth (with a recasting on Batman, because I truly feel like Ben is out after JL)

Those who read DC Comics right now would get EXACTLY where I'm going here, and I definitely think it could work. 

nah he isnt at all. He even tweeted "Welcome to the Batcave" to Reeves with his announcement. Ben is the BATMAN and he is staying for sure. He loves being THE BATMAN

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, mredman said:

yeah have no clue what Bane is trying to say with this either. I mean no movie is flawless there is negative parts in all movies. But they will still end up being good and liking it. TDK ferry scene was so damn stupid yet that movie is fantastic. Same goes for TDKR truly problematic stuff in that one as well. Bruce get paralized but after a couple of moths he can escape a prison no one can. It still recieved a very good critics score on RT even though there was messy parts in it. Here it seems like Wonder Woman is a truly great movie but some think it has some problems with it. But they still think its good.

This is what he said. I was trying to summarize it without linking to it. Didn't think I'd get killed for it. 

I will say this: There are many writers who were at the first wave of screenings who didn't tweet a reaction. I read that as "didn't like it all that much," because that's how a lot of us handle an averse reaction — stay mum.

And I spoke with several writers at the screening who weren't crazy about it, or who have since tweeted more elevated praise than what they were thinking at the time. The movie does get better in your memory though, and let's face it — great leads with great chemistry go a really, really long way when it comes to your long-term perceptions of a film.

Bottom line: When the embargo for full reviews lifts, watch the percentages of sentiment shift. But Wonder Woman will be a big hit.

Edited by Bane Cook

Joss Whedon in the DCEU?

JOylkpz.gif

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, Rey said:

Joss Whedon in the DCEU?

JOylkpz.gif

He's been in talks to do a Batgirl movie according to Variety.

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

He's been in talks to do a Batgirl movie according to Variety.

VCJkWi5.gif

1 person likes this

Just now, mredman said:

nah he isnt at all. He even tweeted "Welcome to the Batcave" to Reeves with his announcement. Ben is the BATMAN and he is staying for sure. He loves being THE BATMAN

Look, I understand you loving his take, and I don't want to derail this thread, but I don't think it's happening and in fact, I feel like Ben Affleck is holding Batman back and Batman is holding Ben Affleck back. It would just benefit both parties to part on good terms.

Let me explain why I believe it would be better to everyone to just recast him with someone younger with an explanation in story:

Ben Affleck is 44 years old, playing an around 44 years old at least Batman. Henry Cavill is a 34 years old, playing an around 30 years old Superman. There are ways in story to explain why Batman was older in BvS, SS and JL, getting a recast and making it work with the story. Let's say that even though Affleck loves playing Batman, he wants out after Justice League. Let's just entertain this idea, for a minute. Why would be better for the Batman franchise if that's the case?

Simple. Longevity. Matt Reeves is kickstarting not just a Batman film, but this new take on Batman. It seems that they are already getting in touch with actors, and no, I don't think that Josh Gad is right for Penguin. With that said, I do think he did talk about getting the role to come to the point of posting that Penguin tweet days ago. Josh Gad is 36 years old, and looks younger than that. My opinion is that if Ben Affleck wants out, he isn't irreplaceable. That's all I'm saying. Let's say that Armie Hammer ISN'T playing Hal Jordan like we are all thinking in Justice League, but an younger Bruce Wayne. What if he is getting set up to replace Affleck? Would that be awful? My opinion is that no, it wouldn't be awful. Hammer is a serviceable actor, he has a similar height to Affleck and even sort of looks like him but younger. Also, he is 30 years old. I'm just saying that if Affleck wants out, it might be the best option for both parties involved, Justice League being a success or not. It'd be better than having to cast older actors to match Affleck and then having to recast them all eventually ten years from now. 

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

Look, I understand you loving his take, and I don't want to derail this thread, but I don't think it's happening and in fact, I feel like Ben Affleck is holding Batman back and Batman is holding Ben Affleck back. It would just benefit both parties to part on good terms.

Let me explain why I believe it would be better to everyone to just recast him with someone younger with an explanation in story:

Ben Affleck is 44 years old, playing an around 44 years old at least Batman. Henry Cavill is a 34 years old, playing an around 30 years old Superman. There are ways in story to explain why Batman was older in BvS, SS and JL, getting a recast and making it work with the story. Let's say that even though Affleck loves playing Batman, he wants out after Justice League. Let's just entertain this idea, for a minute. Why would be better for the Batman franchise if that's the case?

Simple. Longevity. Matt Reeves is kickstarting not just a Batman film, but this new take on Batman. It seems that they are already getting in touch with actors, and no, I don't think that Josh Gad is right for Penguin. With that said, I do think he did talk about getting the role to come to the point of posting that Penguin tweet days ago. Josh Gad is 36 years old, and looks younger than that. My opinion is that if Ben Affleck wants out, he isn't irreplaceable. That's all I'm saying. Let's say that Armie Hammer ISN'T playing Hal Jordan like we are all thinking in Justice League, but an younger Bruce Wayne. What if he is getting set up to replace Affleck? Would that be awful? My opinion is that no, it wouldn't be awful. Hammer is a serviceable actor, he has a similar height to Affleck and even sort of looks like him but younger. Also, he is 30 years old. I'm just saying that if Affleck wants out, it might be the best option for both parties involved, Justice League being a success or not. It'd be better than having to cast older actors to match Affleck and then having to recast them all eventually ten years from now. 

This is the Wonder Woman thread, not the Batman thread.

7 people like this

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Understood, like I've said, I just wanted to explain why in my POV a recasting wouldn't be bad in Batman's case, if it comes to happen. Not saying anything else on the matter here. 

Disregard. Off-Topic

Edited by TheMovieman

Just now, Water Bottle said:

gcWZX.gif

1Ln9bIX.gif

1 person likes this

I wonder how someone who predicted 150/400 in the summer game would feel right about now :cloud9:

3 people like this

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

So, thread-ban his ass.

ezDdteq.gif

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

I wonder how someone who predicted 150/400 in the summer game would feel right about now :cloud9:

Almost as good as someone who predicted 120something/338. :P 

1 person likes this