Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cochofles

Wonder Woman | June 2, 2017 | Reactions (including RT critics) are... very positive (Cue Electric Cello) | No spoilers allowed | NOT THE ZACK SNYDER / BVS / SS THREAD - YOU WILL BE BANNED

10,563 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-19%20at%201.22.5

For what it's worth, the creatives I know generally revile Syd Field.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm still numb from what I just experienced. I need to digest it all but that film in my humble opinion is a best picture contender.

:insane:

It's Umberto, he is the king of hyperbole. He does need to tone it down a notch for sure :) 

18 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-19%20at%201.22.5

Act 1 - Set up, everything leading up to meeting Anikin 

Which meeting him is obviously Inciting incident 1, see hows theres room for one more scene? Thats thew Maul scene. Boom dinner table new act

Act  2 - Midpoint, Podrace which is exactly half way into the TPM 

Inciting Incident 2 - Leaving Tatooine, Anikin making the design to leave home to become  a Jedi, and or him being too "old"

Act 3 -  Resolution and Climax 

This year, Ive watched 286 movies, Ive read 12 scripts, written 1, and all have had 3 acts. 

A brain can divide things up however the person likes it, But all moves have beginnings, middle and ends. I read an article where this dude was saying Iron Man is 5 acts but thats clearly 3 too, another guy argued 12 angry men was 5 acts, but its based off a 3 act play. 

Generally there is a new act when the main character changes motives or desire.

:ph34r:

Reminder that Umberto said this about Alien:

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm still numb from what I just experienced. I need to digest it all but that film in my humble opinion is a best picture contender.

:insane:

omg a guy who like Wonder Woman ALSO liked the DCEU's previous best reviewed film?!

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

And a lot of people on this board are agreeing with him on this as well. Baumer didn't like Covenant, and he likes most horror movies. I haven't seen Covenant yet, but it is definitely getting pretty divisive reactions online My personal fave is @filmnerdjamie

1 person likes this

Real Act structure of TPM:

Act One: Try to resolve the Naboo situation. The Act ends when they decide to flee Naboo to get help from Coruscant.

Act Two: Try to get help from Coruscant. This includes the Tatooine and Coruscant scenes. The Act ends when they decide to go back to Naboo.

Act Three: Battle for Naboo.

Come at me @Jay Hollywood and @4815162342

A mini JW/BATB break out won't be a surprise although I think $140-145m is the ceiling, it would be sweet if it did do over $150m

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

And a lot of people on this board are agreeing with him on this as well. Baumer didn't like Covenant, and he likes most horror movies. I haven't seen Covenant yet, but it is definitely getting pretty divisive reactions online My personal fave is @filmnerdjamie

It wouldn't be the first time film critics liked a movie that audiences were mixed on. 

32 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Real Act structure of TPM:

Act One: Try to resolve the Naboo situation. The Act ends when they decide to flee Naboo to get help from Coruscant.

Act Two: Try to get help from Coruscant. This includes the Tatooine and Coruscant scenes. The Act ends when they decide to go back to Naboo.

Act Three: Battle for Naboo.

Come at me @Jay Hollywood and @4815162342

All I was saying is that the movie does have 3 acts 

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

All I was saying is that the movie does have 3 acts 

Guys, is there a point to this endless side-conversation on how many acts were in some Star Wars movies?   You have anything to contribute on the Wonder Woman movie discussion?

2 people like this

50 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I know he's the king of hyperbole but that Fassbdner shade is awesome. :D

rIJAESs.png

I know we shall not address the one who shall not be named, but this is a REAL issue. I always see this place as a sort of a safe haven of stuff like this on its good days, but I wish that we could actually educate those DCEU hardcore fanboys that keep making asses out of themselves instead of having a taboo subject here. This kind of animosity that some hardcore fanboys cause it's just insanity and it actually hurts the film, especially one directed by a woman and one featuring the first superheroine in an honest to Zeus blockbuster film. 

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I know he's the king of hyperbole but that Fassbdner shade is awesome. :D

Fassbender is by far the best thing about Covenant and gives one of the best performances of his career in it.

8 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

rIJAESs.png

I know we shall not address the one who shall not be named, but this is a REAL issue. I always see this place as a sort of a safe haven of stuff like this on its good days, but I wish that we could actually educate those DCEU hardcore fanboys that keep making asses out of themselves instead of having a taboo subject here. This kind of animosity that some hardcore fanboys cause it's just insanity and it actually hurts the film, especially one directed by a woman and one featuring the first superheroine in an honest to Zeus blockbuster film. 

I do not agree with most DCEU "fans" and their outrage blah blah blah.

But I also don't really like any review for any movie that disparages another. Making comparisons is fine, but taking shots at other movies in your review is lazy to me.

But I really don't care enough to get mad at a reviewer about it.

4 people like this

14 minutes ago, CowpersGland3000 said:

Guys, is there a point to this endless side-conversation on how many acts were in some Star Wars movies?   You have anything to contribute on the Wonder Woman movie discussion?

Yes its gonna be fucking huge 

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

rIJAESs.png

there's validly comparing and critiquing....then there's being unprofessionally snarky/rude/'shading' about it which is precisely what DC films fans are concerned about.

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

rIJAESs.png

I'm curious now.  Eric S SNIDER (not him; please don't ban!) himself did not post a tweet yet on his reaction, right?  He's only responding to some DCEU fans getting overly sensitive??  

I dont think he'll give a positive review...

Just now, antovolk said:

there's validly comparing and critiquing....then there's being unprofessionally snarky/rude/'shading' about it which is precisely what DC films fans are concerned about.

When people use buzz words like "unprofessional reviewer", "objective reviews" and stuff like that I remember gamergate noons and I want to throw up. And NO, I refuse to call these people DC film fans. They are not. I am a DC films fan, the GOOD ONES, namely nothing that came from the DCEU so far. These are DC Film bros, and they attack people online because they dislike their precious films. Of course that if the previous movies were disliked they will be brought up. It's only normal to that to happen. You need to man up and understand that. A lot of people criticize The Dark World and I think that film is great. I don't go out of my way to hunt people that talk bad about films that I love, with the critics approving or not. This is just insanity, and it actually a toxic behavior that makes the fans of the genre to look bad, namely DCEU fans. And we could and should do better than that.