Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cochofles

Wonder Woman | June 2, 2017 | She got this, boys! DCEU saved; doomsday averted; Doomsday forgiven! NOT the JL, Snyder, or Marvel V DC stan wars thread!

16,452 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

How fitting is it for a beloved princess to usher in the DC Renaissance?

tumblr_m6jyda3y5n1qftymjo4_r1_250.gif

4 people like this

On 16/06/2017 at 9:02 AM, Mojoguy said:

How long until FOX announces a Storm or another female X-men solo movie?

As an aside, in the Comic books, Storm battled Wonder Woman and beat her.

BTW has anyone seen this investigation into WW's sword carrying technique?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/erinchack/how-did-wonder-woman-not-slice-her-butt-cheeks-off-in-this?utm_term=.djy3VMVVW#.pxorxPxxV

Does anyone know if Patty Jenkins had a back-end deal on this movie?

Probably not. But I am sure her agent will push for it in the squel.

3 minutes ago, debarr said:

Probably not. But I am sure her agent will push for it in the squel.

I think you're right, especially considering she wasn't even contracted for a sequel. She'll pretty much be able to write her own check now though, so she's sitting pretty now.

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Does anyone know if Patty Jenkins had a back-end deal on this movie?

Boderline case, she is a known name in a key role and she is selling the movie everywhere as if she did, known name writer/producer/director tend to have some form of back-end deal (would it be point or bonus at each pre-established box office step), specially on movie with a lot of place for them movie star wise.

10 hours ago, AndyK said:

As an aside, in the Comic books, Storm battled Wonder Woman and beat her.

That was decided by voting.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Boderline case, she is a known name in a key role and she is selling the movie everywhere as if she did, known name writer/producer/director tend to have some form of back-end deal (would it be point or bonus at each pre-established box office step), specially on movie with a lot of place for them movie star wise.

I imagine she would get bonuses relating to box office likewise with Gal Gadot

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine she would get bonuses relating to box office likewise with Gal Gadot

Is Gal getting bonuses? I understand she had a 3 picture deal for $300k each, so I really hope she gets something extra for WW and JL. She should make a killing on WW2 and anything else she does next.

29 minutes ago, grimfandango said:

Is Gal getting bonuses? I understand she had a 3 picture deal for $300k each, so I really hope she gets something extra for WW and JL. She should make a killing on WW2 and anything else she does next.

Probably not real points, but a ramp up that cap relatively low at say 1 million.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

In this article about Skyfall, Daniel Craig got bonuses based on box office milestones so I expect Gal and maybe Patty would have got bonuses but on a lower scale:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/daniel-craig-james-bond-skyfall-390090

Bond really complicated situation (not made by a studio), would make it harder to give points to people like that I imagine, but yeah that what actor often get, say Jennifer Aniston bonus deal on we're the millers was a possible 5 million, reaching like this:

$250k @ DBO $70MM or WWBO $140MM

$375k @ DBO $80MM or WWBO $160MM

$375k @ DBO $90MM or WWBO $180MM

$500k @ DBO $100MM or WWBO $200MM

$500k @ DBO $110MM or WWBO $220MM

$500k @ DBO $120MM or WWBO $240MM

$500k @ DBO $130MM or WWBO $260MM

Often actors can know they're bonus directly by looking at box office mojo.

Comparing that article with the leaked sony accounting of skyfall, he was not far off at all.

The remaining 25 percent will go to Sony, which funded part of Skyfall's roughly $210 million production budget (it came in under $200 million after tax breaks) : If the movie grosses $1 billion, MGM and Broccoli/Wilson together would partake in roughly $150 million in profits (with another $50 million going to Sony) before they even get to the far more lucrative ancillary revenue.

Net production cost used by sony: 185,84 million (with a 209.07 million budget mentioned)

Sony profit at 1,010 billion WW: 56 million

Something called MGM NET POSITION at 1,010 billion WW: 170 million

Edited by Barnack
1 person likes this

Daniel Craig salary is one of the main reasons these Bond movies cost so damn much, he is also one of the producers so he is paid double time.

They are going to breathe a sigh of relief when they cast a new Bond.

Apparently Gal Gadot has a 3 picture deal. 

1.BvS

2.WW

3.JL

4.WW2=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

2 people like this

Man, looking at the DCEU daily breakdown...

Starting on the 1st thursday (after release), it's just a slaughter

WW is already ~$10M ahead of all 3 other DCEU movies' totals for this week... and the weekdays haven't even started yet. :redcapes:

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Man, looking at the DCEU daily breakdown...

Starting on the 1st thursday (after release), it's just a slaughter

WW is already ~$10M ahead of all 3 other DCEU movies' totals for this week... and the weekdays haven't even started yet. :redcapes:

Spoiler

Look upon these movies, Diana, and crush them! You know they deserve it, they all do!

Damn, Conan trying to cash in on WW's success!