baumer

Spider-man 3 (2007)

55 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's just bad.Aside from the obvious emoPeter/Dance number issues, there was also terrible miscasting for several characters, established characters get assassinated (why would Peter ask MJ to look at the stage, then get Gwen to kiss him? I could see that happening if he was infected by the symbiote at that point, but he wasn't), lazy writing in the first 10 minutes to get Harry out of the way for the first half with a soap opera-esque amnesia plot. Gwen was relegated to "someone for MJ to get jealous over", Sandman's genesis was contrived (Yeah, a bird, not a lot of fowl life over 200 pounds, unless it's from Sesame Street), and when you combine it with Brock becoming Venom, it just leads to too much stuff going on (Sandman could have been established at the start of the film).

Edited by Squaremaster316

While I don't think it's as bad as say a Batman and Robin or even X-Men the Last Stand. It's still a movie rife with problems. Too many characters, do you even remember the Gwen Stacy from this film? And the shoehorning of Venom was a big mistake. C

take away Harry's amnesia plot (would be good if they had killed Harry in the first attack) and goofy scenes with Peter emo. Done. You have a awesome movie, in the same ballpark of the first two. Unfortunately, the movie was bloated. C+ (6.3/10)2007 was one of the most disappointing years ever. Shrek 2 was the best animation not made by pixar at the time, Dead's Man Chest was in my top3 of all-time, GOF on my top5 and Spider-Man 2 was my second best superhero movie. AWE, SM3, OOTP, Shrek3 all disappointed in quality. AWE gets soo much better with time though.

Edited by Goffe of Oz

Talk about a misunderstood movie.

The "emo" scenes are the best parts of the movie.

The amnesia and retconning of Uncle Ben's killer are the absolute worst.

I'd completely forgotten about that! That twist completely retcons the motivation for Peter to take up responsibility because it basically says "it was never your fault", Uncle Ben would have died anyway.

Terrible film. It has some of the laziest writing for a blockbuster. It has a few good moments, but they're all in the first 30 minutes. And even in that portion, you get awful scenes like Harry conveniently getting amnesia. Ugh. Tobey was horrible. He's never had charisma, but he was just unimaginably dull. The good thing that came out of this was that we got a new series where the leads destroy the ones here.D

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 1

My face melt how terrible it was watching this in theaters. How embarassing especially after remembering being so high coming out of Spidey 2. Major letdown, clunky and boring. The "emo" scenes are the less terrible things about that trainwreck actually because it's supposed to be funny as a dork that thinks he acts cocky even if he's desperately ridiculous, I found those sequences funny driving that purpose home. But the supposed darkness of it all? Lame.D

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Likely the most divisive mega blockbuster of recent times.

C

I remember it was a Sunday afternoon and I was watching Godfather part 2 on AMC and was just watching some great scenes and some of the best cinema ever.

Went to a sold out show with 3 of my younger cousins and had to sit in the third row...

Man lol was soo pissed!!!

I always find it interesting when Spider Man appeared in front of the US flag in Spider Man 1 and 2, people cheered a bit, but in this scene they jeered...

Edited by Lordmandeep

The thing that makes this film not so great (watching it now) is that Harry (when he is the Green Goblin) tells MJ that if she wants Parker to live, she has to break up with him. She knows he's Spiderman, so why would she care what Harry says? Why didn't she just call Parker to the bridge and then tell him that Harry's being a dick? Problem averted.

Having said that, the finale is thrilling and one of the best endings for any superhero film.

It's a good film, just not a great one.

7/10

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1