baumer

Spider-man 3 (2007)

55 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• Founder / Operator

Rewatching this tonight (I really don't know why...). I have to say: even though I know it's going to take a turn for the worse soon, the first 30 minutes or so are really superior most of TASM, IMHO.

I'm not saying that to trash on TASM (it has its own strengths here and there too), but mainly because it's become so easy to trash on SM3 over the last six years and the fact that so many feel TASM is superior to it. I do too, overall, but there's a lot of potential established in the first act of SM3 that gets overlooked because of poor execution in the 2nd and 3rd acts.

• Like 1

Rewatching this tonight (I really don't know why...). I have to say: even though I know it's going to take a turn for the worse soon, the first 30 minutes or so are really superior most of TASM, IMHO.I'm not saying that to trash on TASM (it has its own strengths here and there too), but mainly because it's become so easy to trash on SM3 over the last six years and the fact that so many feel TASM is superior to it. I do too, overall, but there's a lot of potential established in the first act of SM3 that gets overlooked because of poor execution in the 2nd and 3rd acts.

Well I remember the Goblin fight and Sandmam birth were great. But you also had the Harry getting amnesia and the way Sandman actually gets his powers which were eye rolling. Also how the symbiotic conveniently lands next to Peter

• Founder / Operator

Well I remember the Goblin fight and Sandmam birth were great. But you also had the Harry getting amnesia and the way Sandman actually gets his powers which were eye rolling. Also how the symbiotic conveniently lands next to Peter

You're only looking at the negative, my friend. :)

Peter's scene with Aunt May is one of the best scenes of the trilogy, IMHO. Mary Jane's character arc also starts out strong. Brock and the love triangle really mess things up midway.

• Like 3

You're only looking at the negative, my friend. :)Peter's scene with Aunt May is one of the best scenes of the trilogy, IMHO. Mary Jane's character arc also starts out strong. Brock and the love triangle really mess things up midway.

The dialogue in the Aunt May scene is horrendous and cringe inducing IMO. I do like the Peter/MJ relationship in this though because they actually act more like a real couple

The thing that makes this film not so great (watching it now) is that Harry (when he is the Green Goblin) tells MJ that if she wants Parker to live, she has to break up with him. She knows he's Spiderman, so why would she care what Harry says? Why didn't she just call Parker to the bridge and then tell him that Harry's being a dick? Problem averted.

Having said that, the finale is thrilling and one of the best endings for any superhero film.

It's a good film, just not a great one.

7/10

What ? 7/10 its too much! 5/10 is better. Btw Finale is pretty much of a mess. Easily the most disappointing blockbuster in 2007.

For all the shortcomings and mess-ups that it has, the movie also has many good parts and bright spots. For me, the best thing about the movie is the insane level of entertainment value in rewatchings. Emo Peter and his dance moves are classics, forever gif-posting worthy  :)

For always give me good laughs and great face-palm moments, especially after setting something up so well and so promising, I give it a 6.5/10  :)

Edited by Sam
  • Like 2

One day people will understand that that scene is part of the very best of the entire movie.It's the only thing Raimi nails and everyone hates it.

Strangely, I agree with you rallax. Love that scene. Doesn't hurt that it's entertaining as hell too.