BCN

TAQUILLA | Spain Boxoffice

So what are we looking at here in terms of final gross for The Impossible, $40m?

Yes, that can be a probable final gross. But if a sub 40% drop is confirmed, I think it can go even higher. In my opinion, #3 all-time is the goal. ROTK ranks third with 32.8 million € (today, about 42.6 million $).

top 10 saturday

[*]The impossible (2)

[*]Looper NEW

[*]Tadeo Jones (8)

[*]Paranormal Activity 4 NEW

[*]Frankenweenie (2)

[*]Taken 2 (3)

[*]Arbitrage (3)

[*]Resident Evil (3)

[*]To Rome with Love (5)

[*]Hope Springs (4)

The Impossible second weekend 6,6M€ (-25%) and a total of 19,5M€ in 11 days, biggest numbers that The Avengers in the first weekend, and the last weekend ,the friday, was a national holiday !!8,7M$, more of 25M$ in 11 days :o

The Impossible second weekend 6,6M€ (-25%) and a total of 19,5M€ in 11 days, biggest numbers that The Avengers in the first weekend, and the last weekend ,the friday, was a national holiday !!8,7M$, more of 25M$ in 11 days :o

:mouthdropped:

Our prediction of €25m will be destroyed!

Absolutely. Who would have thought this... I have been thinking in the reference that BCN has given with Avengers. It grossed 5.2 million in the OW and it has ended with about 16 million. So it did about 11 million from the OW. The Impossible has done a 27% more this weekend than TA OW. With the same proportion than TA it would make 14 million € more from this point if it has the same drops than TA. But it is obvious that The Impossible will drop better. How much more can it do from now? 16 million? 17? It has even a chance of beating 38 million € of Titanic.
  • Like 1

Spain box office is back, and it will be on fire until the end of the year.

We have to enjoy this while it lasts. I thought Hobbit would be the only movie able to reach this numbers. I am thinking if TH can make even higher numbers. It would be insane to have two movies over 30 million € (40 million $) the same year. Or even more...

just imagine what TH1 would make in Spain, if directed by a Spanish director :P

Sadly, what is happening with The Impossible is not usual in Spanish movies. Very few Spanish films get relevant numbers and most make horrible numbers. In the last 10-15 years we have maybe 10-12 movies with some great numbers (let's say over 15 million €): Torrente saga (3 out 4 movies), The Others, Mortadelo y Filemón (based on the most popular Spanish comic), The sea inside, Alatriste (best-seller adaptation), The Orphanage, Agora, and now The Impossible and Tadeo Jones. I do not remember more. This is less than 1 movie per year in a country that releases between 350 and 400 Spanish movies (Ministry of Culture data). In the list I have given there are 3 directors with more than one film: Santiago Segura (Torrente 2, 3 and 4. The first one did not reach 15 million), Alejandro Amenábar (The Others, The Sea Inside and Agora) and J.A. Bayona (The Orphanage and The Impossible). I just hope these two movies start a new tendence, but I am not optimistic.I had some doubts about TH before The impossible given the disastrous economical and box office situation. Now I have confirmed that people keeps money for movies they really want to watch, and TH is one of that movies. I think TH can outgross The Impossible, even more adding 3D and Christmas.