Automatically embedding has been temporarily turned off until the Twitter bug has been fixed. This will only affect new posts made. Once the issue has been fixed, automatic embedding will return. It is possible to manually embed content I believe. If you quote a post with an embedded tweet, please delete the tweet.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Vanilla

The Box Office Buzz & Tracking Thread

20,934 posts in this topic

Why do they keep posting numbers for further future numbers instead of sticking to the closer releases?

They have nothing else to do?

Edited by CJohn

Arthur Christmas could suprise.

I am thinking on something close to 30M 5-days for AC, if not over.

Why the hell would people see Happy Feet 2 and New Year's Eve? I really want the crop of December films to do exceedingly well but the chances are lower if audiences spend their cash on crap like Jack & Jill and those two beforehand. Bloody hell.

I can understand Happy Feet tracking in the mid-40's. I don't see it reaching that level, but it's not crazy to imagine.

Mid-40s was around what I expected when they announced the sequel, but after seeing such low expectations here and other places, I expected less. Maybe it's one of those things where there is a discrepancy between online expectations and real-life hype.

I've been getting that feeling. I've seen predictions of under $20M, which is crazy.

Unfortunately its another aspect of the internet not understanding the mass appeal - have a friend at one of our bigger theaters and apparently HF2 is all the rage with Kids, they are planning more screens for it than Muppets and AC combined over the Thanksgiving frame..... *sigh*And if people are wondering about NYE - remember that "little" opening weekend of Valentine's Day? Its going to be the same on a slightly smaller scale, the chick-flick crowd hasn't had something to rally behind in awhile and Twilight will be "near" gone by then

I still think Valentine's Day was a something of a fluke. A novelty film, even. It was a one-weekend wonder. I'm not saying New Year's Eve won't make some money, but at this time, I can't imagine an opening number of $40M.

NYE is in a weird position, because it's three weeks away from its titular holiday and unlike Valentine's NYE itself is not a good box office day. I wonder if it crashes or lingers around.

There is no way it's opening to 150m anymore. The hype just isn't there.

they are planning more screens for it than Muppets and AC combined over the Thanksgiving frame..... *sigh*

Combined? Surely not.

I'll eat my hair if it opens to 150m. Mark my words.

Sure thing ;)

BD1's opening is going to be really interesting. The hype seems to be absent but tracking has it at 150+ and it had sold out at least 2300 midnight shows as of 4 days ago. It could go either way. If it has more appeal to older women compared to previous twilight movies then it may make sense that while its hype is a bit low, tracking has it at a much higher number.