Ezen Baklattan

Studio Ghibli Appreciation Thread

What is your favorite Studio Ghibli movie?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Studio Ghibli movie?

• Castle In The Sky
    • Grave Of The Fireflies
    • My Neighbor Totoro
    • Kiki's Delivery Service
    • Porco Rosso
    • Pom Poko
    • Princess Monomoke
    • Sprited Away
    • Howl's Moving Castle
    • Ponyo
    • The Secret World Of Arrietty
    • Other (Be sure to mention it!)

I generally found Ghibli's works kinda similar to each other, but Princess Mononoke is one of my favorite animation films of all time. It had such a grand-epic story, and one of the best scores I've heard in an animation film. I love (or like) all Ghibli works, but I rate Princess Mononoke high above everything else.

Edited by vc2002

I adore Studio Ghibli. They have never made a truly bad movie. Well, Howl's Moving Castle gets pretty close but its still very imaginative and pretty almost to a fault. I think Hayao Miyazaki is the greatest living filmmaker, I just absolutely love his body of work. I'd say his best movies are Porco Rosso and Totoro, but its hard to choose from all the different movies he's made. Look at Princess Mononoke, a movie so epic and fantastical it makes Lord of the Rings look like a Ken Loach movie. Then look at Kiki's Delivery Service, a small scale and lovable little movie with only some fantasy elements.

There's always a great human element to Miyazaki's movies even when he's digging into his own ass (Howl's Moving Castle), he along with Ang Lee just seems to exude wisdom and calmness,

I adore Studio Ghibli. They have never made a truly bad movie. Well, Howl's Moving Castle gets pretty close but its still very imaginative and pretty almost to a fault. I think Hayao Miyazaki is the greatest living filmmaker, I just absolutely love his body of work. I'd say his best movies are Porco Rosso and Totoro, but its hard to choose from all the different movies he's made. Look at Princess Mononoke, a movie so epic and fantastical it makes Lord of the Rings look like a Ken Loach movie. Then look at Kiki's Delivery Service, a small scale and lovable little movie with only some fantasy elements.

There's always a great human element to Miyazaki's movies even when he's digging into his own ass (Howl's Moving Castle), he along with Ang Lee just seems to exude wisdom and calmness,

PM is one of my fav of all time, but this is a over-statement.

Grave Of The Fireflie's makes "I Dreamed A Dream" seem emotionless and cold. The sadness you have while watching it is like no other.

Oh jesus, I hated that film.

Spirited Away is my favourite. Boring choice, I know.

My 5-year old has watched Ponyo about 12 times. She liked Totoro, but I haven't gotten around to watching Mononoke to see if it's ok for her to watch.  Do you think it's too intense for a 5 yr old?

Yeah, its very mature. Also dont show her Spirited Away unless you want to give her nightmares for weeks

Spirited Away blows Pixar out of the water, but I honestly feel that the people who seriously believe Ghibli (they won't even be specific and say who they really mean, Miyazaki) is better than Pixar overall are just anti-establishment hipsters.

Spirited Away is my favourite animation all time, a true work of art. I also love Ponyo, Totoro and Nausicaa, but I don't dislike any Ghibli movie. I'm glad they still use traditional animation in their movies, and I honestly think some of their recent movies have more beautiful sceneries and character design than any 3D CGI animation I've ever seen.

. I'm glad they still use traditional animation in their movies, and I honestly think some of their recent movies have more beautiful sceneries and character design than any 3D CGI animation I've ever seen.

I agree but at the same time, I kind of would like to see what they could produce visually incorporating Pixar-like animation techniques alongside the traditional.

I love studio Ghibli movies, I think they have not only great animation production, they have great stories with fantasy elements that make you remember chilhood like nothing else. My favourite is Princess Mononoke, it's epic. Totoro, How'ls and Spirited Away are in second place, but i like all Ghibli movies, something very difficult to say from any studio (even Pixar had their bad movies after all). 

Well, having only seen two of his films, Spirited Away and Howls, I am now taking a course on the life of Miyazaki and the rise of Studio Ghibli. Its been great so far. We have seen Castle of Cagliostro(sp?), Valley of the Wind, Totoro, and today we watched Princess Mononoke. Jesus, those names. lol, anyway, I have really enjoyed it so far. I never really thought much of his works other than hearing the acclaim most of them bring in. Totoro was just too much cute. We are watching The Wind Rises tomorrow and I am really excited to get to see that.

Edited by Kalderic