kayumanggi

Should Pixar stop making sequels?

Pixar & Sequels  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pixar stop making sequels?

• Yes. I love them because of their original films. No continuation please.
    • No. There are a lot of stories to explore. As long as they're good, I'm fine with it.

no, if they have ideas for sequels then they should make them. I for one like seeing sequels. And the sequels so far from PIXAR have been of decent to great quality (Cars 2 was no where near as bad as made out and better than most animated kids films). Not to mention PIXAR still has plenty of original films lined up, people act like they are releasing a sequel every year. This "PIXAR makes too many sequels" is just internet bloggers whining about nothing

• Like 2

Good thread pare.I actually voted no. I just don't want them making crappy forced sequels like Cars 2, and I don't want them having too many years in a row of no original films. I think I've softened a bit on this lately because Cars 2 exists already and there's no putting that genie back in the bottle. Can't get worse than that, so now just hoping they learn from it.

I don't buy into this idea that Pixar "needs" to make sequels so they can fund their nonsequels. Their movies have all funded themselves.

That being said, I still voted no. Sequels aren't inherently a bad thing, it's just when it comes to big budget filmmaking the motivation to produce them is usually the wrong one. Some characters really are interesting enough that you can write more than one good story about them (James Bond being a famous example). It's the reason TV shows survive, and more power to you if you can successfully sustain a character for that kind of length in a higher stake environment.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I'm voting based on what I honestly feel. There are some sequels that I really love, so I don't think it's fair to say they shouldn't be made at all.

There are also certain films that I would like to see a sequel to, but vocal demands for them are something that really irks me, even for Pixar movies.

Edited by tribefan695

Short answer yes with an if, long answer no with a but. 

It just depends on the concept. If they think they have a darn good reason to bring Marlin and Nemo and Dory back, then by all means let them. If Andrew Stanton needs a safe project so that he can go back to working in live action, then don't bother. 

• Like 2

Short answer yes with an if, long answer no with a but. It just depends on the concept. If they think they have a darn good reason to bring Marlin and Nemo and Dory back, then by all means let them. If Andrew Stanton needs a safe project so that he can go back to working in live action, then don't bother.

Yeah, I have somewhat mixed feelings about FN2... On the one hand I hate that they are making it, and it does seem like Stanton's penance to Disney for helming that massive flop. I am skeptical that Stanton doesn't have any original ideas he'd rather explore than a sequel to FN.On the other hand, I am glad that Stanton is the one directing the sequel and am interested to see what he comes up with. He's still a great director so I have some hope it won't be a complete disaster like Cars 2.

• Founder / Operator

Considering they're 2 for 3 so far, I'd say its too early to really answer this. Cars 2 was a dud, but TS2 and TS3 are as highly regarded as any other Pixar movie.

More subjectively, I think Monsters University has some serious potential to surprise (both in quality and box office). The concept sounds great for a prequel and the college comedy angle is something fresh for the studio. If they have a strong script, it's gonna play.

I'm less optimistic about Nemo 2, but like Gopher said, if they feel they have the right concept then--despite my lack of enthusiasm for Cars 2 and Brave--I'm down with it. Especially with Stanton coming back.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

As long as it's not the Cars franchise, I don't mind sequels.

Yeah...although, Planes does sound cool. :lol:

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't even mind another Cars sequel if they came up with a great story. The first one is very underrated, IMO. I consider it far stronger work than Brave. On a personal level, I find it holds up on repeat viewings better than Ratatouille and Up as well (but they're all great).

• Like 2