kayumanggi

Should Pixar stop making sequels?

Pixar & Sequels  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pixar stop making sequels?

• Yes. I love them because of their original films. No continuation please.
    • No. There are a lot of stories to explore. As long as they're good, I'm fine with it.

Pixar, just like any other studio, should make good movies. Who cares if that good movie is a sequel, or original? What matters is quality, and MU proved to be alot higher quality than some of Pixar's original movies. 

• Like 1

Cars 2 is the second "made by order" sequel Pixar inherited after the deal. TS3, Cars 2, MI2 were all in development before Bob Iger wised up. In a sense they had (and still have) to go through all these things (even Finding Dory is another artifact) although this time they're in Pixar's control.

The then-director couldn't make it work and to be honest I don't think any one can make a Mater film work, so John had to throw his name in as a director and I think it's a brave move but too late. For some reason John Lasseter really like the character and thought the audience and kids must like him too. A Cars 2 that was only a spy movie or a whole other spinoff (like Planes) might have worked better.

Cars 2 is the only real misstep of Pixar and I think they're sobered up now, delegating everything Cars to their Canada studio and DisneyToon and never touching them again. The Cars world is an endless stream of merchs so they need to expand it to cash in and Lasseter likes him some vehicles but Cars is gone forever from the main Pixar campus.

• Like 1

I have nothing against sequels, when they are good. And Pixar does make great sequels : Toy Story 2 and 3 :wub: . Monsters U is good too, I think. And even if Cars 2 is not great as other Pixar movies, it still a good movie, superior to many animated movies from others studios.

I don't understand people who are against sequels (or prequels) : when I love a movie, I just want to return in the universe, with the characters for an other good story (not a bad one for sure).

I love Pixar when they are doing original stuff but they are doing it anyway. Ok, they did 3 sequels in 4 films, it was maybe too much. But before that, they have made only one (TS2) when their competitors doing many sequels (Shrek, Ice Age,...).

For the next two years, they have The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out. It's original and it will make really great movies I hope.

After, it's Finding Dory, not original but after a success as Nemo, do you think many studios wait 12 years to do a sequel ? We can see it as a "risk"  : the children of 2015 aren't from the generation of Nemo, so for them it will maybe not be seen as a sequel (I don't really think that : people from the Nemo generation will rush into theaters with the kids) 

And now, their plan is to make 2 originals movie for 1 sequel so there is original stuff coming ! 

Though, it make a lot of sequels and I don't see for what movie ? 

- Toy Story : it's an amazing trilogy but be honest : after the amazing success of TS3, they will search an idea for TS4 and if it's great...

- Bug's Life : you can do something with the bug's world, you just need a great story 

- Monsters Inc/U : let's that in bed for a moment 

- Nemo : it's coming 

- The Incredibles : the more obvious choice for a sequel : the first was a origin story, make us a trilogy with it (combine superhero with their hype and animation and you have easily 1B$) ! Everyone demands it (I do anyway) ! I think it's the sequel coming after Dory (likely in 2017), after Tomorrowland Bird can do that.

- Cars : You can do something with the universe, but after Cars 2 (the first was great IMO), Pixar will not come to this again I think (Planes is a proof, Disney make sequels for the merchandising)

- Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up : I don't see sequels for these but I haven't really the imagination of Pixar writers

- Brave : a fantasy universe, you can do something here but I don't think it will come after a long time 

• Like 2

Pixar, so far, has only made a high quality sequel/prequel for Toy Story, we'll see how Finding Dory goes, but their original movies have had a much better success rate.

Besides, I hate needless sequels, some movies I understand why they make a sequel, but I'll be honest here I hate the idea of a Finding Dory and Finding Nemo is my favorite animated movie of all time.  Finding Nemo was not open to a sequel, it had a fairly concrete ending point, sure they may have other adventures or some shit like that, but is it really necessary?  I will most likely still see it but they are really going to have to prove themselves to me, with unnecessary sequels I go in with low expectations because they are rarely any good.

Yes and no, I wouldn't mind some sequels, at the same time, what happened to all to the creativey? What happened to the Pixar that was about making a sequel when their was a good story?

I'm kinda disapointed in Pixar right now.

Considering they're 2 for 3 so far, I'd say its too early to really answer this. Cars 2 was a dud, but TS2 and TS3 are as highly regarded as any other Pixar movie.

More subjectively, I think Monsters University has some serious potential to surprise (both in quality and box office). The concept sounds great for a prequel and the college comedy angle is something fresh for the studio. If they have a strong script, it's gonna play.

I'm less optimistic about Nemo 2, but like Gopher said, if they feel they have the right concept then--despite my lack of enthusiasm for Cars 2 and Brave--I'm down with it. Especially with Stanton coming back.

I enjoyed Monsters University but to justify a sequel it should be very close or exceeding the quality of the predecessor.  MU didn't reach that mark for me.  I'm going to say they are 2 for 4 even though MU was good.