Anyone a fan?

I'm about 7 epiosdes from the end, and shit is getting crazy.  It's likely not my favorite show ever, but very little doubt that it's the most innovative different, and creative show I've seen.

It's funny, sad, dramatic, silly, and at times, terrifying.  Can't wait for the ending.

Yeah I heard plenty about the middle of the second season, but I'll force my way through it regardless. 

I've also been persuaded to watch Fire Walk With Me not after the 2nd season finale, but immediately following its 9th episode. I might just do that. 

Starting season one tomorrow. Is the 2nd season worth watching?

Definitely. Some of it is still fucking incredible. there's a major plot arc that gets wrapped up halfway through the second season and that's when the quality dips, it's worth sticking through it for the final episode, which is astounding and some of the best work of Lynch's career.

I'm at the beginning of the second season now. Some observations:

The whole first season is pretty fantastic. Add 15-20 minutes of resolution and the pilot could be one of the great films of the 1990s all by itself. I was amazed at how quickly Lynch was able to convey the tragedy of Laura's death; I hadn't even yet spent 30 minutes with these characters, but the combination of acting, music and imagery already created an incredibly vivid sense of pain and loss. That moment when Sarah Palmer realizes what happened just slayed me right away. 

Speaking of which, I can't get enough of that music. But then, who can?

In general the combination of comedy, tragedy, soap opera, mystery, surrealism and horror works much better than it has any right to. It's a total high-wire act and the way they were able to pull it off episode after episode is a hell of an achievement. That and the whole theme of a "seedy underbelly of a wholesome small town" work much better here than (controversial opinion incoming) they ever did in Blue Velvet, which I thought hardly ever struck a proper balance. 

The whole cast is wonderful with the exception of James Marshall (who's entertainingly wooden at first but then becomes boring fairly quickly, although he has one very good scene in the woods with Lara Flynn Boyle) and whoever plays Nadine, although that's more the character's fault. Every time she appeared I immediately couldn't wait for the scene to end.

BOB is legitimately scary. That scene where he climbs over the couch gave me shivers. And just his visage under "Have you seen this man?" is creepy as hell. What this story would be without Frank Silva I don't want to know. 

I want to be like agent Cooper when I grow up.

At the risk of sounding shallow, this show has the most stunningly beautiful cast of women in any TV series or film I could possibly think of. Maybe 8 1/2 comes close, but I don't know what else. 

I'm delighted by the fact that about 20 million Americans once saw this scene on network TV in prime time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjeRCsoufII

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

It's true about the second season's highs and lows, isn't it. I watched episodes 4-7 of it today, and the first three had some good stuff in them but overall were mediocre, sometimes painfully so (Nadine the super-powered amnesiac, Leo in a coma - what a waste of screentime and talent). But then Lynch steps in and directs "Lonely Souls" and holy hell I still haven't quite caught my breath from those final 15 minutes. All of a sudden all the elements just come together and it's stunning.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2