Slowly but surely getting through the wilderness that is the middle of the second season.

Y'know, I was expecting that James subplot to be a complete waste of time but it's kinda fascinating. I actually like the basic idea - a naive, good (as in "good person") character from Twin Peaks ventures outside after a trauma and immediately finds out that it's no better out there. What that storyline needs is a better-developed, more likable main character than James, a better actor than James Marshall, a bit more coherence and enough style for it to come off as a genuine neo-noir instead of a ludicrously sleazy direct-to-DVD erotic thriller. So it wasn't unfixable from the start, but they did more or less everything wrong with the premise which I guess is why it's so maligned. But I think Lynch might have made it work (much better) if he had been around and put his mind to it - granted, that's something that could be said about a lot of things, but still. He could have also made the femme fatale less obviously trashy and cast Isabella Rossellini or someone in that vein. 

Now, the whole subplots concerning Little Nicky, Super-Nadine, and the mayor's brother? That right there is a waste of time. Just one big void. All of that shit belongs in a third-rate sitcom. Ben Horne reenacting Civil War isn't much better but at least we get Richard Beymer chewing the scenery which puts a smile on my face no matter what he's doing.

• Like 1

It's still such a bummer that Major Briggs isn't coming back though. Which makes me think, I wouldn't mind seeing Bobby as an aged military man who followed his old man's footsteps, just as eccentric but in that old crazy way and not the laid-back, peaceful way.

BTW, here's the guy himself and Sheryl Lee talking about their TP experience. As good a way to spend 43 minutes as any:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ703pF246I

For me the best has to be Maddie's murder. *shudders*

After that it's like a 6-way tie between the discovery of Laura's body, Coop and Audrey meeting, the Red Room dream, Major Briggs' speech, Leland's death and everything in the Black Lodge. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1