A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

I think JLaw is no longer as immensely likeable as she used to be. She had annoyed too many people and that somewhat affected the BO, cancelling out her drawing power. I know people who used to like her but no longer do--they think fame went to her head-- and who refused to see the movie because she was in it.

Edited by therana

10 minutes ago, therana said:

I think JLaw is no longer as immensely likeable as she used to be. She had annoyed too many people and that somewhat affected the BO, cancelling out her drawing power. I know people who used to like her but no longer do--they think fame went to her head-- and who refused to see the movie because she was in it.

it's strange because I really don't feel like I have to like an actor to enjoy their performance. I really don't care what most people believe or do in their private time it's none of my business. Like how annoyed can you get by a stranger who you will never meet or interact with in any way? 

21 minutes ago, therana said:

I've been reading this for 3 years in a row, don't you guys get tired of saying the same shit every single day? This is so repetitive and tiresome.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

it's strange because I really don't feel like I have to like an actor to enjoy their performance. I really don't care what most people believe or do in their private time it's none of my business. Like how annoyed can you get by a stranger who you will never meet or interact with in any way? 

Everyone is different. Some people can't stop seeing the actor instead of the character they're portraying. For some, it's the principle of the thing.

2 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I've been reading this for 3 years in a row, don't you guys get tired of saying the same shit every single day? This is so repetitive and tiresome.

I can answer only for myself and it's the first time i'm expressing that thought. As a woman and a feminist,  I quite like JLaw. I, too, used to think it's an exaggeration, but judging by my friends' reactions to this movie, it's not. She really  has annoyed a lot of people to the point they stopped liking her.

3 minutes ago, therana said:

I can answer only for myself and it's the first time i'm expressing that thought. As a woman and a feminist,  I quite like JLaw. I, too, used to think it's an exaggeration, but judging by my friends' reactions to this movie, it's not. She really  has annoyed a lot of people to the point they stopped liking her.

Don't get me wrong, but I feel that everytime that I visit a topic that has JLaw in the title, there's always someone saying that "she's not likable anymore/not a draw anymore/annoying", and this is so tiresome.

44 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

None does that expect let's say 15,000 people on twitter :lol:

The equation of BO draw = liked on twitter is utterly flawed

Edited by XO21
  • Like 1

Between the negative reviews and the lackluster marketing, this movie had almost nothing going for it besides its stars, so I don't really get the blame game here. If anything, this movie proves star power still matters - take away JLaw and Pratt and this movie doesn't go anywhere near $100m.

Some people may have soured on JLaw, but OTOH she has very loyal and devoted fans who will go watch her movies and support her. I think it's a very small minority who actually avoid movies just because they dislike one of the actors. Most people I know don't get that involved in celebrity culture to let it impact their enjoyment of a movie. I'd go watch movies that star actors I like, but I can't remember ever actively avoiding a movie because it starred an actor I didn't like.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Don't get me wrong, but I feel that everytime that I visit a topic that has JLaw in the title, there's always someone saying that "she's not likable anymore/not a draw anymore/annoying", and this is so tiresome.

Jennifer is most likely the only reason this film didn't flop. Her fanbase saved it. The movie got terrible reviews, bad marketing, had a dumb premise, was not the movie they advertised, stupid plot, full of sexism and was overall a snooze fest. The only reason it's not a total bomb is her name. Pratt possibly too, but it's hard to tell how to tell how much of a draw he really is without the big franchise. 

• Like 1

This film had gorgeous visuals and an intriguing premise that could have been developed in a more engaging fashion. I wish this had been done by a director whose narrative style were a tad less generic and I wish it had not been sold as a romantic fantasy of sorts. I don't care either way about "Jlaw" or Chris Pratt, but I feel that the movie's numbers (as tepid as they are when compared to the budget, marketing expenses, and overall expectations) only prove that there is indeed a loyal subset of moviegoers that will follow those stars no matter how good (American Hustle, Guardians of the Galaxy) or bad (Passengers,  Passengers) their films are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, therana said:

Everyone is different. Some people can't stop seeing the actor instead of the character they're portraying. For some, it's the principle of the thing.

No problem if it is about a crime, hate,... whatever the actor/actress did in a big way.

But what I learned per fast glances was, she told in the ~ wrong way about earning more than her co-lead actor? And/or similar unimportant things?

That I can not understand even in the slightest bit.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

No problem if it is about a crime, hate,... whatever the actor/actress did in a big way.

But what I learned per fast glances was, she told in the ~ wrong way about earning more than her co-lead actor? And/or similar unimportant things?

That I can not understand even in the slightest bit.

Personally, I think she's become too popular to be very likable. What seemed like charm and refreshing honesty a few years ago is perceived as arrogance now. People like underdogs, and she's the opposite.

23 minutes ago, therana said:

Personally, I think she's become too popular to be very likable. What seemed like charm and refreshing honesty a few years ago is perceived as arrogance now. People like underdogs, and she's the opposite.

Her job job is to act and so far she's been highly successful anything else is simply what your putting on her.

Just now, Lizzy said:

Her job job is to act and so far she's been highly successful anything else is simply what your putting on her.

I'm not "putting on her" anything. I quite like her, she's a very. good actress. I'm simply sharing my observations on people's attitude toward her--normal, regular moviegoers that I know in real life. There's no need to be so defensive. No one is universally liked, JLaw included.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, therana said:

Exactly.

Ironically, this is her best role ever. She should play less entitled and more submissive characters. Will make her more likable.

Edited by shayhiri

10 hours ago, misafeco said:
  Passengers TGWTDT %

5 day 22,19 21,15 104,97

Fri 2,66 3,53 75,36
Sat 3,81 4,95 77,03
Sun 2,34 2,88 81,22
Mon 0,75 0,94 79,61
Tue 1,23 1,25 98,10
Wed 0,78 1,08 72,35

Gross to date 83,67 80,18 104,36
Legs (5 day) 3,77 3,79 99,42
Final gross* 99,83 102,5158 97,38
*if Passengers holds the last day's %  

Big Wed drop as expected. Projected final gross is under 100M for the first time. I still think it will gross 100M. It'll be over 90M after next weekend, and almost 95M the weekend after that. There is no way Sony will let this finish short of 100M if it comes that close.

Thank you!  Unfortunately it is losing the best theaters in my area and is now one of those 'you have to find somewhere where it is playing and it isn't convenient' films in my area.  I think that will hurt it, but I also think it was depressed a bit last week by the storm so maybe it will somewhat cancel out.  Unfortunately, it is playing like an adult movie, so I don't know if MLK day will be as much of a boost, since for many companies it is not a holiday.

9 hours ago, straggler said:

Theater count is now a factor. It is below TGWTDT's count for the first time but that film lost a lot of screens a week later. Passengers is holding decently so I don't think it will lose too many screens next week. If it is close SONY will keep it in theaters until it crosses the line.  

6 hours ago, fmpro said:

It will loose 950 theaters(-28%) and still be in 2500 theaters. Well enough to have a decent gross this weekend. 

Sony will push this to 100 mill

I hope you are right.

3 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Between the negative reviews and the lackluster marketing, this movie had almost nothing going for it besides its stars, so I don't really get the blame game here. If anything, this movie proves star power still matters - take away JLaw and Pratt and this movie doesn't go anywhere near $100m.

Some people may have soured on JLaw, but OTOH she has very loyal and devoted fans who will go watch her movies and support her. I think it's a very small minority who actually avoid movies just because they dislike one of the actors. Most people I know don't get that involved in celebrity culture to let it impact their enjoyment of a movie. I'd go watch movies that star actors I like, but I can't remember ever actively avoiding a movie because it starred an actor I didn't like.

1 hour ago, therana said:

I agree there is some of that out there.  Even Emma Stone was getting hate on twitter after the Golden Globes. Success makes some people resentful.  But there are a lot of other people.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, therana said:

I'm not "putting on her" anything. I quite like her, she's a very. good actress. I'm simply sharing my observations on people's attitude toward her--normal, regular moviegoers that I know in real life. There's no need to be so defensive. No one is universally liked, JLaw included.

In my observation the normal average... GA audience seldom even knows the name of an actor / actress / director / ... before he/she didn't do a lot more films / is a bit older / gets some e.g. Oscar wins / other kind of extra buzz.

I do not speak about people who actually watch genre films for being genre film...

GA still does not watch the most of the typical Sci-Fi films or fantasy films... even if it is less now than in the past.

I do not mean belonging to established franchise's films (e.g. per very successful book series or per earlier part 1, part 2,... already being on free TV)

They do start to recognise after a while, like: isnt that the actor/actress that was also in.....?

Forgot to add: I know for sure that she is not known by name by all in my media subject, but the ones who know / knew (former pupils) seem to develop to be fans fast.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

In my observation the normal average... GA audience seldom even knows the name of an actor / actress / director / ... before he/she didn't do a lot more films / is a bit older / gets some e.g. Oscar wins / other kind of extra buzz.

I do not speak about people who actually watch genre films for being genre film...

GA still does not watch the most of the typical Sci-Fi films or fantasy films... even if it is less now than in the past.

I do not mean belonging to established franchise's films (e.g. per very successful book series or per earlier part 1, part 2,... already being on free TV)

They do start to recognise after a while, like: isnt that the actor/actress that was also in.....?

Forgot to add: I know for sure that she is not known by name by all in my media subject, but the ones who know / knew (former pupils) seem to develop to be fans fast.

I am almost certain that the GA only truly knows certain older movie stars by name. I feel that casual moviegoers today might know older film stars and directors mainly because their longevity and some of their overall pop culture presence and/or scandals that transcend the mere acting/making movies of their stardom (Hanks, Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Cruise, Ford, Roberts, Jolie, Pitt, Depp), but even younger big "names" like Lawrence, Pratt, Tatum, Hart, and Saldana may still be known as "that girl/guy from that movie," unless we are talking about computer-savvy moviephiles.

ETA: I basically wrote the same thing that you did in different words. :D 

Edited by Moviesareawesomegirl